Recommended Cowboys Draft Documentary: War Stories

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
They didn't even think about drafting Chris Johnson I guess? Didn't hear his name mentioned once.
Forget chris johnson, D jack was right there. Not even mentioned made me sick we spent a 1st round pick on a backup complimentary rb who couldnt even start in college

Plankton

Reaction score
They didn't even think about drafting Chris Johnson I guess? Didn't hear his name mentioned once.

The word had been that Wade Phillips preferred Chris Johnson, and Garrett wanted Felix Jones. From what was shown in this documentary, it didn't appear to be the case. Wade looked plenty happy when they picked Jones, and he high fived Garrett.

CowboyMort

Reaction score
Behind the scenes of our war room over the years. Documentary starts at 6:45 of the video. You can either skip to there or jam out to the awesome music first.

I love you guys. Cowboys! in your faces.

i wish I could give you two likes for that one. Loved it!

Plankton

Reaction score
What I would have loved to have seen in this documentary were two behind the scenes views in the war room:
  1. The 2013 debacle when Sharrif Floyd was still on the board as their highest rated player, and the coaches pushed back, resulting in the trade down for Travis Frederick. Watching that initial clusterfudge play out would have been gold.
  2. The efforts in 1994 to trade up for Willie McGinest, and they had a deal in place with the Rams to trade to their slot at #6 overall for the Cowboys first round pick and Alvin Harper. When the Patriots picked McGinest at #4, there's famous video of Jones lowering his head to the table in the war room. Then, watching them trade up for Shante Carver. Oy.

Reactions: BAT

cej757

Reaction score
Forget chris johnson, D jack was right there. Not even mentioned made me sick we spent a 1st round pick on a backup complimentary rb who couldnt even start in college
Yeah, I forgot DeSean Jackson was in that draft. I wanted him too because we had 2 1st rd picks that year. We ended up with Mike Jenkins late in the the 1st instead.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I would have loved to have seen in this documentary were two behind the scenes views in the war room:
  1. The 2013 debacle when Sharrif Floyd was still on the board as their highest rated player, and the coaches pushed back, resulting in the trade down for Travis Frederick. Watching that initial clusterfudge play out would have been gold.

I was hoping that was going to be in there as well.
I remember watching the war cam and the look on some faces was pure disgust.
They were some even in the room yelling at each other.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot DeSean Jackson was in that draft. I wanted him too because we had 2 1st rd picks that year. We ended up with Mike Jenkins late in the the 1st instead.
Jenkins was taken b4 felix jones

MikeB80

Reaction score
There were two reasons that did come out.
One was that Bill thought Stephen Jackson was an upright type runner and he did not like that kind of runner.
The other was that some heard that Bill did not like who Steven Jackson's agent was at the time.

Don't know if those are true but that was the rumors after the draft.

I think what happened was They had a a debate about the three available backs, jackson, kevin jones and julius jones. If I remember correctly Offensive Coordinator Maurice Carthon had them rated all pretty closely and then the big thing was getting the first round pick from cleveland. So they could take jackson or they could move back and get an extra 1 for 05 and still a good running back amongst Jones, Jones and tatum bell.

Turned out to be a great thing because 04 was doomed no matter who the running back was. Quincy was cut, woodson retired with the back injury and then terry glenn and many others ended up on IR early in the season. 04 was just painful.

MikeB80

Reaction score
  2. The efforts in 1994 to trade up for Willie McGinest, and they had a deal in place with the Rams to trade to their slot at #6 overall for the Cowboys first round pick and Alvin Harper. When the Patriots picked McGinest at #4, there's famous video of Jones lowering his head to the table in the war room. Then, watching them trade up for Shante Carver. Oy.

I can ask but I don't think they wanted to show the 13 stuff because it essentially ended Tom Ciskowski's long career with the Cowboys.

Reactions: BAT