CFZ Cowboys - Eagles Matchups

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Fake news.

The Cowboys are not playing with them again until x-mas.
Don't worry, be happy.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
  • WRs - adv Eagles as they have 2 big playmakers and an explosive #3. Dallas has a very good #1 and a so-so #2.--Their #3 will be playing injured for now. Still give the Eagles an advantage here.
  • TEs - adv Eagles as Goedert is best and will be back; Cowboys are deeper--Agree. Goedart might be the 3rd best TE now behind Kelce and Andrews, but they have no one behind him who is a threat.
  • OL - close, probably a push - we definitely lose at LG and C.--Add in RT for them as an advantage. Truthfully, our line has been very good, I'd say Top-5 good. But I think the Eagles have the best line in the NFL
  • RB - adv Dallas--Yes, this one is Dallas easy
  • QB - even the haters would not have favored Hurts this summer, but he’s definitely been better in that offense with those weapons and OL…unless you want to argue against all the numbers, accept it.--Ugh, yeah...
  • DL - push; Eagles better inside; Cowboys better outside--Agree with this.
  • LBs - push--Agree with this
  • Secondary - Dallas lost 2 starting CBs for the year while Eagles finally gave Slay a partner in Bradberry. Adv Eagles at CB; It’s close, but I give Cowboys the edge at S.--They lost CJ Gardner-Johnson at S and a guy who could allow their CB's to go one-on-one more. I give Dallas a clear advantage at S
  • Special Teams - push in my opinion, though I think we have the better punter. It worries me that we are losing key players in covering kicks because they now must start on defense--Both teams have excellent kickers, but our punter pushes this to the Boys.
  • Coaching…personally, I like Dallas--I think their D coordinater is butt. Lean Dallas here.
Safety - Gardner Johnson will be back fo playoffs.
Coaching -Philly.
Special Teams -us big time.

DanA

Reaction score
"Disagree, our TE room is better IMO outweighs the advantage of Goedert over Shultz, especially blocking"

What made Ertz truly expendable was Goedart's excellent blocking, one of the best at his position.

To clarify in terms of passing:

Goedert, Stoll, Calcatera: 675 yards, 3 TD's
Shultz, Ferguson, Hendershot: 555 yards, 6 TD's

It's close but I give us a small edge at TE overall in the passing game because our 2nd and 3rd TE offer that extra RedZone threat as targets. Goedert is easily the best receiver of the TE's.

In terms of blocking our advantage IMO is greater when you look at the TE group combined. Goedert again is top of the heap as a blocker but we probably have 3 TE's that are top 15 blockers in the league and combined they are monsters while Goedert might be top 5 by himself, but the room is weighed down by JAG's.

Last edited:

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
I think when broken down like this? Eagles will have the edge. But one thing they can't say is they have a game wrecker like Micah Parsons on it. He's the X Factor and why I like our chances against them.

Micah's definitely a game wrecker, but haason reddick isn't far behind

micah
52 tackles 12 sacks 3 forced fumbles
reddick
33 tackles 9 sacks 3 forced fumbles

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Currently….
  • WRs - adv Eagles as they have 2 big playmakers and an explosive #3. Dallas has a very good #1 and a so-so #2.
  • TEs - adv Eagles as Goedert is best and will be back; Cowboys are deeper
  • OL - close, probably a push - we definitely lose at LG and C.
  • RB - adv Dallas
  • QB - even the haters would not have favored Hurts this summer, but he’s definitely been better in that offense with those weapons and OL…unless you want to argue against all the numbers, accept it.
  • DL - push; Eagles better inside; Cowboys better outside
  • LBs - push
  • Secondary - Dallas lost 2 starting CBs for the year while Eagles finally gave Slay a partner in Bradberry. Adv Eagles at CB; It’s close, but I give Cowboys the edge at S.
  • Special Teams - push in my opinion, though I think we have the better punter. It worries me that we are losing key players in covering kicks because they now must start on defense
  • Coaching…personally, I like Dallas
On paper, position by position, Eagles get the same advantage we see in the records. If we hadn’t lost 2 corners and could have added a healthy OBJ to help the receiving corps, I’d feel really good about Dallas vs Philly. But we are weaker at WR and CB, areas the Eagles got stronger at this year.

The Cowboys can win in a few weeks and in the playoffs, but they shouldn’t be favored, and I think it will require some heroics.
Turnovers, you can't predict them, but they have a huge impact.
Untimely penalties as well.

Proof

Reaction score
Not sure at this point that Tyron's going to be that much better than the other Smith, he's not the Tyron of 2011, etc. and legs (he had a hamstring injury as we all know) are a big part of being a LT, obviously he couldn't do leg work for most of the time he's been off.

He still has the smarts and should still have the upper body strength, including the awesome grip we hear so much about.

I have to say I'd put him at maybe 10% better than Tyler Smith at this point. That might be enough to make a measurable difference, but it's not like we're getting Smith in his prime instead of some JAG....

it pushes Smith to his more comfortable (for now) position of guard. The comparison isn't necessarily Tyler vs Tyron, it's Tyler vs McGovern and that's a landslide imo.

Also (not for you just didn't want to go back and quote another post) I would not give the Eagles the nod on secondary, Diggs is the best of the bunch, and our safeties tip the scales. Especially with CGJ out.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
I think when broken down like this? Eagles will have the edge. But one thing they can't say is they have a game wrecker like Micah Parsons on it. He's the X Factor and why I like our chances against them.

I agree about Micah. In the first matchup they took advantage of his aggressiveness in the first half, but in the second Quinn made some adjustments. I think we will ready for their RPRO (Run/Pass/Run/Option) in the next game. Rush turning the ball over 3 times in the first half didn’t help our defense either.

A couple of X factors for me is Dak and Turpin. Dak owns Philthy and when he’s on he’s better than any QB in the league. And Turpin hasn’t had an impact yet. He’s due to have some break out games, IMO. A couple of special teams TD’s down the stretch would be nice. We’re head and shoulders better than the last time we played them. Let’s hope they are the same team. Lol

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The Cowboys have a better point differential. They have a better scoring defense. Barring some incredibly unlikely circumstance, after this weekend, they’ll probably have a better scoring offense. Those numbers are usually better predictors than subjective positional ranking.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's Texans week, we don't play the Eagles this week. We can talk about the Eagles when it's Eagles week. It's an important game played by players that will be affected by what happens between now and then. Things will change with so much time between now and then which is why we don't normally talk about games weeks away. Let the Texans and Jaguar games happen and then we can talk about the Eagles on Eagles week with current context and accuracy.

DanA

Reaction score
Micah's definitely a game wrecker, but haason reddick isn't far behind

micah
52 tackles 12 sacks 3 forced fumbles
reddick
33 tackles 9 sacks 3 forced fumbles

Sure, and Jalen Hurt isn't far behind Pat Mahomes either.:facepalm:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Currently….
  • WRs - adv Eagles as they have 2 big playmakers and an explosive #3. Dallas has a very good #1 and a so-so #2.
  • RB - adv Dallas
  • QB - even the haters would not have favored Hurts this summer, but he’s definitely been better in that offense with those weapons and OL…unless you want to argue against all the numbers, accept it.
  • LBs - push
  • Secondary - Dallas lost 2 starting CBs for the year while Eagles finally gave Slay a partner in Bradberry. Adv Eagles at CB; It’s close, but I give Cowboys the edge at S.
  • Special Teams - push in my opinion, though I think we have the better punter. It worries me that we are losing key players in covering kicks because they now must start on defense
On paper, position by position, Eagles get the same advantage we see in the records. If we hadn’t lost 2 corners and could have added a healthy OBJ to help the receiving corps, I’d feel really good about Dallas vs Philly. But we are weaker at WR and CB, areas the Eagles got stronger at this year.

The Cowboys can win in a few weeks and in the playoffs, but they shouldn’t be favored, and I think it will require some heroics.
Do you always put the cart before the horse? We have a couple of games to play before we get to Eagles week. If we lose one of those then Eagles week won't matter much anyway because we can't catch them. We'll be a wild-card team in the playoffs most likely visiting Tom Brady in the first round.

Let's take it one game at a time, Texans this week and then the Jaguars the next before we go talking about a game that might not matter!

plasticman

Reaction score
Currently….
  • RB - adv Dallas
  • LBs - push

This is the time of the year when you don't wait for a player to be 100% after an injury. Goedert may be coming back but i think he will be limited.

After Goedert, all the eagles have is warm bodies at TE. The remaining three have combined for 11 catches and 0 TD's. Hendershot matches that on his own and he is the #3 guy.

TE goes to the Cowboys.

Who is this #3 explosive receiver you speak of? I see a #3 guy with 22 receptions. Our #3 guy has 30. Gallup is beginning to be his old self, 20 receptions over the past 5 games, Smith only has 3 more for the Eagles. Comparing season numbers is unfair, looking at the past 5 game trend is more indicative of each players contribution and Gallup and Smith are practically even.

Smith does not compare superior to Gallup, fans seem to forget that Gallup had a thousand yard season only a few years ago.

WR is even.

The only other option besides Sanders at RB is Hurts. By all means , let's compare Elliott and Pollard to Sanders and Hurts. However, if we are to restrict the conversation to the passing game, Hurts current season, his 3rd, is his best. It even compares favorably to Dak's rookie season.

I'm not arguing Hurts numbers, just putting them in perspective when comparing them to Dak's. However, if you want to discuss the current trend since Dak's return then we would be discussing the past six games which is far more relevant than what Hurts did while Dak was injured.

In that respect they are practically even in yards, TD's and completion percentage. Hurts has the advantage in INT's, Dak has the advantage in sacks, and they are both 5-1.

QB is even

On paper, the Cowboys waxed Hurts and the Eagles twice last season by an average margin of 22.5 points. the Eagles upgraded in several area this season but not enough to compensate for a three TD difference from last season.

For all their bravado while beating up on inferior teams, they fear the Cowboys and for good reason. If they lose a game before they go against the Cowboys, Hurts will be a succulent antelope in the eyes of the Lion and his pride. Lions start out eating their prey alive.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Currently….
  • WRs - adv Eagles as they have 2 big playmakers and an explosive #3. Dallas has a very good #1 and a so-so #2.( DISAGREE We have the advantage!, AJ and Lamb is a wash Gallup is better than Smith and Noah Brown is better than Watkins)
  • TEs - adv Eagles as Goedert is best and will be back: (Cowboys are deeper: Again DISAGREE We have the advantage, we go 3 deep, possibly 4, so advantage us.)
  • OL - close, probably a push - we definitely lose at LG and C.(Again I DISAGEE!!!, We have 3 LTs with Tyron coming back, so we have Smith x2 and Peters, not too mention LG McGovern/Smith/Peters, Center Yes Kelcie is slightly ahead due to experience, RG we definitely have that ans LT Steele his play speaks dor itself)
  • RB - adv Dallas(AGREE 100%)
  • QB - even the haters would not have favored Hurts this summer, but he’s definitely been better in that offense with those weapons and OL…unless you want to argue against all the numbers, accept it.( You have got to be kidding me? Dak is light years ahead of Hurts!!! So I DISAGREE again!! ADV. US!)
  • DL - push; Eagles better inside; Cowboys better outside( I AGREE but I disagree we are better up the middle against the run, but not on the outside against the run. But we have a better pass rush, they have a better run defense on the outside, and a pass rush)
  • LBs - push( AGREE, but waivering because I can't recall their LBs doing much who are their LBs)
  • Secondary - Dallas lost 2 starting CBs for the year while Eagles finally gave Slay a partner in Bradberry. Adv Eagles at CB; It’s close, but I give Cowboys the edge at S.( Meh! Slay is good but Bradberry no so much we use to eat him up when he was with the giants)
  • Special Teams - push in my opinion, though I think we have the better punter. It worries me that we are losing key players in covering kicks because they now must start on defense( Push)
  • Coaching…personally, I like Dallas(I AGREE)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree about Micah. In the first matchup they took advantage of his aggressiveness in the first half, but in the second Quinn made some adjustments. I think we will ready for their RPRO (Run/Pass/Run/Option) in the next game. Rush turning the ball over 3 times in the first half didn’t help our defense either.

A couple of X factors for me is Dak and Turpin. Dak owns Philthy and when he’s on he’s better than any QB in the league. And Turpin hasn’t had an impact yet. He’s due to have some break out games, IMO. A couple of special teams TD’s down the stretch would be nice. We’re head and shoulders better than the last time we played them. Let’s hope they are the same team. Lol
Yep great points. We didn’t get to see the special teams have the impact like we know they can as well and that’s where Turpin comes in. And Dak does have a winning history on his side it would be nice to see that winning continue even when the Eagles are good.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Alot can happen from now and the Egals game. Just enjoy watching the team beat on Houston this weekend.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Sure, and Jalen Hurt isn't far behind Pat Mahomes either.:facepalm:

……………….PM………..JH
Comp%……..65%………68%
Rating
………104……….108
TotYards
……4100………3500
AY/A…………8.6………..9.0
TotTDs
……….32…………29
Interceptions..8………….3
TD%
………….6.4………..5.7
INT%…..…….1.7………..0.8

Mahomes does throw for a lot of yards in a less run-oriented offense, but beyond that was is their big discrepancy?

Last edited:

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Let's just wait and see how things look Christmas Eve. That will essentially be a playoff game. These player for player comps on paper mean nothing. By Christmas, we'll have 8 quarters of on-field play to answer all questions. Hopefully both teams have their main components healthy for that game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Do you always put the cart before the horse? We have a couple of games to play before we get to Eagles week. If we lose one of those then Eagles week won't matter much anyway because we can't catch them. We'll be a wild-card team in the playoffs most likely visiting Tom Brady in the first round.

Let's take it one game at a time, Texans this week and then the Jaguars the next before we go talking about a game that might not matter!

Yes but we are fans, not players. I agree players must stay focused each week vs each opponent but fans can afford to take a peak down the road.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yes but we are fans, not players. I agree players must stay focused each week vs each opponent but fans can afford to take a peak down the road.
I can't do that. As I said, too much can happen between now and then so the conversation would be far too much speculative to me.