CFZ Cowboys - Eagles Matchups

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I can't do that. As I said, too much can happen between now and then so the conversation would be far too much speculative to me.

That is fine I get that. However we do not play the games we are no more than fans. Team has to go out week to week, fans and especially media can look ahead and often do.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That is fine I get that. However we do not play the games we are no more than fans. Team has to go out week to week, fans and especially media can look ahead and often do.
Okay fine but I choose to stay focused on the current hurdle. The way rosters change from week to week and unexpected losses happen, speculating on games three weeks in the future seems futile to me. But if you're a fan of futility, more power to you.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Am I the only one who’s not really that high on Davonte Smith? He’s as number 2 as a number 2 can be lol. He’s not a Chris Godwin/Mike Williams/Tee Higgins borderline 1 type of WR. He’s right in the middle of the pack of WR’s.

Watkins is fast and that’s about it. AJ Brown makes them both a lot better obviously but I’m really not too impressed by Smith especially as a top 10 pick.

Does he seem like a top 10 drafted WR to y’all? Seems more like his hype has been greater than his production save for a few big games which every WR2 has. Genuinely feel like a healthy MG is a rung higher than Smith.

I agree. He's good but nothing great even as a number 2 standard. Gallup healthy is a better a receiver.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Okay fine but I choose to stay focused on the current hurdle. The way rosters change from week to week and unexpected losses happen, speculating on games three weeks in the future seems futile to me. But if you're a fan of futility, more power to you.

Well you are the one telling people what they should talk about. You don't like the conversation then maybe avoid it. Players I agree can't look beyond 1 week, we are not players

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Not sure at this point that Tyron's going to be that much better than the other Smith, he's not the Tyron of 2011, etc. and legs (he had a hamstring injury as we all know) are a big part of being a LT, obviously he couldn't do leg work for most of the time he's been off.

He still has the smarts and should still have the upper body strength, including the awesome grip we hear so much about.

I have to say I'd put him at maybe 10% better than Tyler Smith at this point. That might be enough to make a measurable difference, but it's not like we're getting Smith in his prime instead of some JAG....
We rank bottom in the league in pass protection so a returning future HOF OT should be welcomed back and embraced.
It's not about Smith vs Smith and who is better, it's about both together making this OL much better down the stretch run and post season.
This OL is going to become very dynamic, and gives this team more of an advantage offensively and possibly the best O Line in the league.
Have to clean up the pass protection first in order to see that come into fruition.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
It says we play them in a few weeks, and then in the playoffs again if you finish reading the entire thing
how do we know the rosters will stay the same, thats the point, use common sense, what if one team loses key player or more.. its why you wait to the week of the game to discus it. not now..

H2H with Healthy teams, i like our chances.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Currently….
  • WRs - adv Eagles as they have 2 big playmakers and an explosive #3. Dallas has a very good #1 and a so-so #2.
  • TEs - adv Eagles as Goedert is best and will be back; Cowboys are deeper
  • OL - close, probably a push - we definitely lose at LG and C.
  • RB - adv Dallas
  • QB - even the haters would not have favored Hurts this summer, but he’s definitely been better in that offense with those weapons and OL…unless you want to argue against all the numbers, accept it.
  • DL - push; Eagles better inside; Cowboys better outside
  • LBs - push
  • Secondary - Dallas lost 2 starting CBs for the year while Eagles finally gave Slay a partner in Bradberry. Adv Eagles at CB; It’s close, but I give Cowboys the edge at S.
  • Special Teams - push in my opinion, though I think we have the better punter. It worries me that we are losing key players in covering kicks because they now must start on defense
  • Coaching…personally, I like Dallas
On paper, position by position, Eagles get the same advantage we see in the records. If we hadn’t lost 2 corners and could have added a healthy OBJ to help the receiving corps, I’d feel really good about Dallas vs Philly. But we are weaker at WR and CB, areas the Eagles got stronger at this year.

The Cowboys can win in a few weeks and in the playoffs, but they shouldn’t be favored, and I think it will require some heroics.
Nah i say its a push across the board some for them some for us , as of now...

PLUS we are adding 77 back, James Washington, Gallups getting better each week etc. etc when both teams are healthy, H2H, i like our chances at home. NO heroics just do NOT have those 10 dang penalty's. limit the penalty's to a few and we will win! bad calls , no calls., too many other penalty's..has to stop in big games

No heroics needed, we are a great team but susceptible to losing games against better competition with mistakes. see the GB game OT i mean the NYG giants game too close all penalties being the big factors.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Currently….
  • WRs - adv Eagles as they have 2 big playmakers and an explosive #3. Dallas has a very good #1 and a so-so #2.
  • RB - adv Dallas
  • QB - even the haters would not have favored Hurts this summer, but he’s definitely been better in that offense with those weapons and OL…unless you want to argue against all the numbers, accept it.
  • LBs - push
  • Secondary - Dallas lost 2 starting CBs for the year while Eagles finally gave Slay a partner in Bradberry. Adv Eagles at CB; It’s close, but I give Cowboys the edge at S.
  • Special Teams - push in my opinion, though I think we have the better punter. It worries me that we are losing key players in covering kicks because they now must start on defense
On paper, position by position, Eagles get the same advantage we see in the records. If we hadn’t lost 2 corners and could have added a healthy OBJ to help the receiving corps, I’d feel really good about Dallas vs Philly. But we are weaker at WR and CB, areas the Eagles got stronger at this year.

The Cowboys can win in a few weeks and in the playoffs, but they shouldn’t be favored, and I think it will require some heroics.

Charles, we will discuss this in person.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Currently….
  • RB - adv Dallas
  • LBs - push

By the time this game is played the Eagles will have wrapped up the #1 seed in the NFC.
We will be facing their back-ups.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well you are the one telling people what they should talk about. You don't like the conversation then maybe avoid it. Players I agree can't look beyond 1 week, we are not players
I would ban it if I had the power. One opponent at a time!

sandbridge77

Reaction score
I agree. He's good but nothing great even as a number 2 standard. Gallup healthy is a better a receiver.
I think you may be selling Smith a little short, currently tied for 16th in number of receptions with 61, considering their are 32 #1 receivers in the league I’d say he is a very solid #2 and could be a number 1 on a few teams.

DanA

Reaction score
……………….PM………..JH
Comp%……..65%………68%
Rating
………104……….108
TotYards
……4100………3500
AY/A…………8.6………..9.0
TotTDs
……….32…………29
Interceptions..8………….3
TD%
………….6.4………..5.7
INT%…..…….1.7………..0.8

Mahomes does throw for a lot of yards in a less run-oriented offense, but beyond that was is their big discrepancy?

LOL.

Can you put up Carson Wentz’s 2017 stats next and see if Carson Wentz is as good as Pat Mahomes too. Or we could just not make ridiculous arguments. Jalen Hurts is not as good as Pat Mahomes and Hassan Reddick isn’t as good as Micah Parsons….and yes, there is a big discrepancy.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
LOL.

Can you put up Carson Wentz’s 2017 stats next and see if Carson Wentz is as good as Pat Mahomes too. Or we could just not make ridiculous arguments. Jalen Hurts is not as good as Pat Mahomes and Hassan Reddick isn’t as good as Micah Parsons….and yes, there is a big discrepancy.

Carson’s 2017 stats aren’t close to Jalen’s this year. His completion percentage was 8% lower(!). 2022 Mahomes’ are much closer

Bizwah

Reaction score
To me, the way to judge the matchups are not same position group against same position group (WR vs WR, etc), but the offensive/defensive matchup. DeVonta Smith and AJ Brown are not matching up against CeeDee Lamb and Michael Gallup - they match up against Trevon Diggs and Kelvin Joseph.
This.

It doesn't matter if we feel our WRs or RBs are better than their WRs or RBs (or vice/versa). What matters is how our offense matches up with their defense and their offense matches up with our defense.

That's a better comparison.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We rank bottom in the league in pass protection so a returning future HOF OT should be welcomed back and embraced.
It's not about Smith vs Smith and who is better, it's about both together making this OL much better down the stretch run and post season.
This OL is going to become very dynamic, and gives this team more of an advantage offensively and possibly the best O Line in the league.
Have to clean up the pass protection first in order to see that come into fruition.

No doubt having Tyron back is a very good thing, I just didn't want people to expect the o-line to dramatically improve when he comes back, at least not in the short term. Yes, Tyron will be a HOF player, most likely, but he's not played at a HOF level for the past few years, and never will be again, though he is very good, still. Remember, he started in the league when he was only 20 years old, he'll be 32 in a few days, that's 12 years in the game, most LTs would be 34, that's old for a player in that position.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think Tyron will be fringe pro-bowl level (not all-pro) which is a decent upgrade on Tyler. I also think Tyler is a comparable upgrade on McGovern but it's a bit of a projection as we haven't seen enough of it.

I was responding to the post about Tyron being back, not about Tyler vs. McGovern....

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
You trying to tell others what they should and shouldn't be doing is futile to me. Guess you're a fan of futility, more power to you.

GMO415

Reaction score
I'd say they won't sweep us. We're too good of a team.