Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones on their plan at running back

superonyx

Reaction score
So we go from massively overpaying and over-valuing the position (Zeke) to criminally under-valuing it.

Brilliant.

This FO is allergic to common sense
Not saying I disagree but who would you have signed that has shown to be significantly better than drafting one?

starfan1

Reaction score
he looked good last season, he should be #1 rb till some other rb shows he is better.
well at this point he definitely is. well see how training camp plays out and who they pick up but he did perform well last year. I was being tongue and cheek with my remark

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just curious. Are there any other front office people for the other 31 teams making these kinds of statements to the media?
Good question. However there is one assumption that is almost certain to be 100% correct...

None of the other front offices are discussing their NFL offseason at a rodeo press conference.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
This is how this team constantly sabotages themselves.

They could have had Zack Moss at $5 million. Instead they will be forced to use one of their first three picks on a running back instead of adding some desperately needed help on the offensive line or at linebacker.

A child playing franchise mode on Madden can do a better job at roster construction. What a joke.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Not saying I disagree but who would you have signed that has shown to be significantly better than drafting one?
Henry, Eckeler, or Jones plus a day 3 pick and you’re set.

The value in FA is spending money for production so you can save your draft picks on premium positions

Can you draft a RB on day 1 or 2 that can start and produce? Sure. But I would pay a FA for that production and use the draft capital this year to address the serious holes we have along the OL, DL, and LBer

Mr_437

Reaction score
When the Cowboys lose a Playmaker on offense they haven't replaced that player. Amari Cooper, Zeke, and now Pollard. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they had a good running game next season, but I'm expecting it to be horrible.

Rayman70

Reaction score
When the Cowboys lose a Playmaker on offense they haven't replaced that player. Amari Cooper, Zeke, and now Pollard. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they had a good running game next season, but I'm expecting it to be horrible.
Don't get me started on how they ran Amari out then never replaced him. They scapegoated him then he goes on and has a nice career in Cleveland. Sure Jerry, it was Amari that caused us to lose to SF. Meh

vlad

Reaction score
So we go from massively overpaying and over-valuing the position (Zeke) to criminally under-valuing it.

Brilliant.

This FO is allergic to common sense
I was going to start a thread on this exact topic and our genius FO philosophy - we go from overvaluing the RB the most by a ridiculous amount (Gurley's contract the floor after using the #4 pick on a RB) to valuing the least - with the same front office group.

its not like they adjust a bit, they did a total 180.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Nothing screams great culture like running one of your best players out of town for a bag of oranges. Anyone recall how the local Dallas media agreed with the Joneses with the same fake talking points?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I was going to start a thread on this exact topic and our genius FO philosophy - we go from overvaluing the RB the most by a ridiculous amount (Gurley's contract the floor after using the #4 pick on a RB) to valuing the least - with the same front office group.

its not like they adjust a bit, they did a total 180.
Yep.

And they did the same thing with their philosophy with Free Agency.

Burned by the Brandon Carr deal? Let’s never spend quality money on a top tier FA ever again!!!

It’s maddening. And then when they act like they are the smartest guys in the room it becomes downright pathetic and damnable lol

superonyx

Reaction score
Henry, Eckeler, or Jones plus a day 3 pick and you’re set.

The value in FA is spending money for production so you can save your draft picks on premium positions

Can you draft a RB on day 1 or 2 that can start and produce? Sure. But I would pay a FA for that production and use the draft capital this year to address the serious holes we have along the OL, DL, and LBer
I guess I’m not that impressed with paying $7-9m per for 3.5-4.2 ypc. That’s what these guys are going to give you.
I hate that the RB position has become so irrelevant these days.

Seems just about anyone can get is the same 3.5-4.2 ypc.

I wish we plugged the OL holes. Too many holes not enough draft pics to fill.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
well at this point he definitely is. well see how training camp plays out and who they pick up but he did perform well last year. I was being tongue and cheek with my remark
Well read something earlier, that said he wasnt signed yet or something. So he may not be there.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They do replace that player. Washington was signed to replace Cooper (actually, Gallup was elevated and Washington was signed to replace him/Wilson) and Jones was signed to replace Zeke (with Pollard elevated to the starting spot).

We will sign another bottom-of-the-barrel player to replace Pollard and probably draft a back to compete for the starting job. However, that is hit and miss and most likely, the running game will be an albatross.

Flamma

Reaction score
Don't think there are any worth a 1st rd pick this year
There isn't. I'd say there isn't a RB that even stands out above the rest. No reason to take one in the 2nd round either.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I guess I’m not that impressed with paying $7-9m per for 3.5-4.2 ypc. That’s what these guys are going to give you.
I hate that the RB position has become so irrelevant these days.

Seems just about anyone can get is the same 3.5-4.2 ypc.

I wish we plugged the OL holes. Too many holes not enough draft pics to fill.
It’s definitely a passing league— but what we need most is a hammer that can excel at short yardage and GL situations.

As far as holes? Yah. Trying to replace a LT and C in one draft class is ambitious. There still is a slight chance Tyron returns- but at what price and for how many games?