Twitter: Cowboys expected to pick up 5th year option on Byron Jones

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lol - no, it’s really not like saying that at all. I never said it proves a move to safety would be highly successful, I said it disproves your claim that there can’t be an expectation for it to be successful and that other players don’t do it successfully, and I said it is illogical to suggest that somehow the only players that can do it are lower rated prospects.

Bottom line is I gave you multiple examples that it does actually happen, so you changed your narrative. But even as illogical as the new narrative was, I found you some examples with 1st and 2nd round draft picks. What about those? I guess you are ignoring those examples because you haven’t yet figured how to change the narrative again to explain that.

The fact is, you are incapable of rational discussion because rather than use facts to form the narrative, you form the narrative to fit whatever you claim to be fact at the time. The same thing is happening with your claim now that you knew all along they drafted him as a possible safety as well as a possible CB. This after spending all day saying he was drafted as a CB only and the Cowboys wouldn’t draft a safety in the first round and that the Cowboys had somehow committed to playing him at CB. You were proven wrong, so you just changed your narrative
I've used facts for you. You told me they drafted him as a safety yet he played more at corner than he did safety his rookie year. I didn't change the narrative you just lost in it being combative. My whole stance is the Cowboys screwed him over having him play a position he was inferior at. Your whole argument is "Oh when you get drafted you play whatever they tell you to." You bring up examples of guys who made the transition to imply that it's easy to do but that isn't the case. So I don't know what to tell you. You want facts but fact is Byron is a much better corner than he is safery. Proof is in the tape.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've used facts for you. You told me they drafted him as a safety yet he played more at corner than he did safety his rookie year. I didn't change the narrative you just lost in it being combative. My whole stance is the Cowboys screwed him over having him play a position he was inferior at. Your whole argument is "Oh when you get drafted you play whatever they tell you to." You bring up examples of guys who made the transition to imply that it's easy to do but that isn't the case. So I don't know what to tell you. You want facts but fact is Byron is a much better corner than he is safery. Proof is in the tape.

No, you use whatever version of the "facts" you can dream up to fit your narrative. For example, I didn't say they drafted him as a safety, I said they drafted him as a player who can play at either safety or CB. The video I posted confirms that. You are, as always, running from actual facts and making up your own version.

As for him playing more CB as a rookie, again, look at the video. Garrett specifically said he may start out at CB, but he may end up playing safety for the team. In fact, a few times they link his position to whether Claiborne gets back and healthy, saying he will play CB in Claiborne's absence, but will play safety if Claiborne is healthy.

But why bother with what Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett said, right? You know they never intended to use him at safety when they drafted him, despite the fact that in the press conference after drafting Jones they said repeatedly they drafted him largely because he would be an option at either CB or safety. You know they didn't mean it, right? Why believe their actual words when we have you to tell us what they mean?

Another place you are making up your version is saying that I've claimed the switch is easy - I never said that either. What I said is it can be done, and it's not at all uncommon for it to be done. You asked for examples because you didn't believe me, and when I gave them to you, you made up yet another version of your story.

And, the funny thing is, it wouldn't even matter one whit if the Cowboys didn't really intend to use him at safety on draft day. Situations change, and the coach has to put the best version of the team on the field that he can. That's why Free switched from LT to RT, and why Collins switched from LG to RT, and why Irving switched from DE to DT. It would ridiculous to suggest that coaches should have no ability to adjust as circumstances adjust. That's not life in the real world, and it's not life in the NFL.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, you use whatever version of the "facts" you can dream up to fit your narrative. For example, I didn't say they drafted him as a safety, I said they drafted him as a player who can play at either safety or CB. The video I posted confirms that. You are, as always, running from actual facts and making up your own version.

As for him playing more CB as a rookie, again, look at the video. Garrett specifically said he may start out at CB, but he may end up playing safety for the team. In fact, a few times they link his position to whether Claiborne gets back and healthy, saying he will play CB in Claiborne's absence, but will play safety if Claiborne is healthy.

But why bother with what Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett said, right? You know they never intended to use him at safety when they drafted him, despite the fact that in the press conference after drafting Jones they said repeatedly they drafted him largely because he would be an option at either CB or safety. You know they didn't mean it, right? Why believe their actual words when we have you to tell us what they mean?

Another place you are making up your version is saying that I've claimed the switch is easy - I never said that either. What I said is it can be done, and it's not at all uncommon for it to be done. You asked for examples because you didn't believe me, and when I gave them to you, you made up yet another version of your story.

And, the funny thing is, it wouldn't even matter one whit if the Cowboys didn't really intend to use him at safety on draft day. Situations change, and the coach has to put the best version of the team on the field that he can. That's why Free switched from LT to RT, and why Collins switched from LG to RT, and why Irving switched from DE to DT. It would ridiculous to suggest that coaches should have no ability to adjust as circumstances adjust. That's not life in the real world, and it's not life in the NFL.
Free switched from LT to RT because he sucked at LT lol. Collins switched to RT because Free retired. Collins should still be a guard and Byron Jones should still be a corner. So based on your opinion I'm guessing you believe Jones will play free safety again this year....even though the secondary coach said he's a corner.....lol.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Free switched from LT to RT because he sucked at LT lol. Collins switched to RT because Free retired. Collins should still be a guard and Byron Jones should still be a corner. So based on your opinion I'm guessing you believe Jones will play free safety again this year....even though the secondary coach said he's a corner.....lol.

He switched because that was better for the team. That's the point. Teams don't just stick a player in one spot and use him there come hell or high water, they adjust to get the best team on the field they can, and it's stupid for you to suggest they somehow don't have that right. Of course, it sounds now like you are saying they have that right when you agree with the move, but don't have that right when you don't - as if your personal belief is somehow the judge of what the team has the right to do.

You think Collins should still be at OG, and that's not unreasonable. But there are a lot of fans that think he should stay at RT, which also isn't unreasonable. People disagree, but fans aren't who has to decide. I didn't like having to move Collins from LG either, but Free surprised them when he retired, and they had to cover RT somehow, and it was absolutely the right of the team to make the decision they felt best benefitted the overall O-Line.

As for your guess that I think Jones will play free safety this year, I have to ask where in the world you came up with that?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He switched because that was better for the team. That's the point. Teams don't just stick a player in one spot and use him there come hell or high water, they adjust to get the best team on the field they can, and it's stupid for you to suggest they somehow don't have that right. Of course, it sounds now like you are saying they have that right when you agree with the move, but don't have that right when you don't - as if your personal belief is somehow the judge of what the team has the right to do.

You think Collins should still be at OG, and that's not unreasonable. But there are a lot of fans that think he should stay at RT, which also isn't unreasonable. People disagree, but fans aren't who has to decide. I didn't like having to move Collins from LG either, but Free surprised them when he retired, and they had to cover RT somehow, and it was absolutely the right of the team to make the decision they felt best benefitted the overall O-Line.

As for your guess that I think Jones will play free safety this year, I have to ask where in the world you came up with that?
Because according to you he was drafted as a free safety so therefore he can will play some free safety this year no?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because according to you he was drafted as a free safety so therefore he can will play some free safety this year no?

There you go - making up crap again. Please point out where I said he was drafted exclusively as a free safety. Show me one post. There are many over the last 2 days - just show one of them.

Sydla

Reaction score

Wait, are you arguing that it's impossible this staff made the wrong call on Jones and played him at the wrong position?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait, are you arguing that it's impossible this staff made the wrong call on Jones and played him at the wrong position?

No, I'm not arguing that. Supporting the team's right to make the decision isn't the same as saying the decision they made was the right one. As things sit today we really can't know if the decision was right or not because while we have ample evidence of what Jones can do as a safety, we don't have similar evidence on what he can do as a CB. If he plays CB this year that will become clearer.