Twitter: Cowboys expected to pick up 5th year option on Byron Jones

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
By the way, are you saying Alan Ball failed to become a high quality player because he was used initially as a safety instead of a CB, or that he was notably better at either safety or CB than the other, and having to switch positions is what hurt his career?
No. I'm saying teams who try and convert a corner to a safety fail more times than they do succeed.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Lol you wish I was stalking you. I've just seen you post for the last 2 years. You love average and never want to move on from players. I don't know why. Do you have abandonment issues?

I can't name one player you like other than Dak, you're clearly a stalker lol. I guess I should take it as a compliment, but it's still pretty weird.

Nah, I'm okay with a bunch of players we move on from. I liked us cutting Scandrick. Byron is still on his rookie contrac. I wanted to retain Church but not for the money he got. Glad we moved on from Romo. You're been caught not knowing what you'rw talking about again. Still saying stupid **** hahahahhaha

I'm just not a sheep and fall for group think when it comes to players. I cant say the same for you unfortunately.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I can't name one player you like other than Dak, you're clearly a stalker lol. I guess I should take it as a compliment, but it's still pretty weird.

Nah, I'm okay with a bunch of players we move on from. I liked us cutting Scandrick. I wanted to retain Church but not for the money he got. Glad we moved on from Romo. You're been caught not knowing what you'rw talking about again.

I'm just not a sheep and fall for group think when it comes to players. I cant say the same for you unfortunately.
With Dak my verdict is still out on him. But at least i was right about ty craw and byron jones :grin:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. I'm saying teams who try and convert a corner to a safety fail more times than they do succeed.

How is Alan Ball an example of that? He was lucky to even make the team and he failed at both positions, so he doesn't fit your argument.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
With Dak my verdict is still out on him. But at least i was right about ty craw and byron jones :grin:

You've been wrong every step of the way lmao

Ahhhhh the Verdict is still out so you can pivot and say you never wanted to give Dak an extension if he ends up busting! And you dont stand by any other players, so you can never be wrong. Damn what a sheep lmao

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Corners switching to safety isn't as you are making it sound. If it was you would have more than two examples of someone doing it effectively.

Ahh, so your argument is that I can't have a point unless I'm willing to research the background of every successful safety to see if they played CB in college or early in their pro careers .

Of course, never mind that I have actually given you 4 examples (Hyde, Poyner, Lott and Woodson), and never mind that safety was not a foreign position to Jones.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Corners switching to safety isn't as you are making it sound. If it was you would have more than two examples of someone doing it effectively.

For your benefit, I did a little research, and here are 6 guys that successfully became safeties after having been CB's, and I've only looked at NFL cities starting with the letters A-D.

Tyrann Mathieu - Arizona
Ricardo Allen - Atlanta
Micah Hyde - Buffalo
Jordan Poyer - Buffalo
Mike Adams - Carolina
Glover Quin - Detroit

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How is Alan Ball an example of that? He was lucky to even make the team and he failed at both positions, so he doesn't fit your argument.
He was a decent backup corner. He was a TERRIBLE safety.

For your benefit, I did a little research, and here are 6 guys that successfully became safeties after having been CB's, and I've only looked at NFL cities starting with the letters A-D.

Tyrann Mathieu - Arizona
Ricardo Allen - Atlanta
Micah Hyde - Buffalo
Jordan Poyer - Buffalo
Mike Adams - Carolina
Glover Quin - Detroit
None of those examples fit the same situation as Byron Jones. Those guys were undrafted or considered projects. Byron Jones was a late 1st rounder who was drafted EARLY and played cornerback in college. Its different situations.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Good move...........$6 mill is not that much for a CB in todays NFL.

Besides, its only guaranteed for injury, so if he totally sucks arse at CB this year we could release him and not be on the hook for anything in 2019.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Ohhhhhhh you're one of those that only look at a DBs INT total when evaluating them. Don't let too many people know that about you, it's a really bad look lmao, and shows how much the poster actually knows.

My idea of good is allowing the second lowest passer rating when covering the slot in the entire nfl, 50.8 rating. That was in 2017.

In 2016 there was only safety with more tackles and PDs than Byron in the league. That was DPOY runner up, Landon Collins.

But dont let facts get in the way of your Richter scale.

Have you ever seen him make a tackle? He either gets trucked or he is hanging on to their ankles for life. And the FS in the pseudo cover 2 system we ran in this Marinelli defense is SUPPOSED to be making INTs. That is his job. The safety in the Tampa 2 and Marinelki system is SUPPOSED to be a ball hawk. Byron Jones is not a ball hawk. He was a FS and you want to tout his part time slot play. OK sure whatever. All I know is if you are going to be that big of a liability against the run he has to make up for it with exceptional play against the pass. He is clearly not exceptional.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was a decent backup corner. He was a TERRIBLE safety.

None of those examples fit the same situation as Byron Jones. Those guys were undrafted or considered projects. Byron Jones was a late 1st rounder who was drafted EARLY and played cornerback in college. Its different situations.

lol - so you asked for examples of CBs who successfully transitioned to CB, you didn't like that I could provide examples, and now you are changing the question.

The funny thing is that now your argument is that lesser talents who never played safety are capable or switching from CB to safety, and a greater prospect who actually had been a safety before isn't. I'm not sure that makes the point you think it does.

The fact is, most NFL safeties are not first round picks, so if you get to eliminate everyone but first round picks you get to eliminate almost all possibilities. Clever move.

By the way - how is Alan Ball the same situation? Or does that argument only apply when it suits you?

Oh, and Mathieu was a 3rd round pick - not a project. I could add Marcus Gilchrist to the list - 2nd rounder. LaMarcus Joyner - 2nd rounder. I'm sure there are more, but I've got things to do besides this.

And, of course, Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson weren't projects .... oh, but you dismissed them because they were too good. It seems you are willing to ignore what doesn't fit what you want to see.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
lol - so you asked for examples of CBs who successfully transitioned to CB, you didn't like that I could provide examples, and now you are changing the question.

The funny thing is that now your argument is that lesser talents who never played safety are capable or switching from CB to safety, and a greater prospect who actually had been a safety before isn't. I'm not sure that makes the point you think it does.

The fact is, most NFL safeties are not first round picks, so if you get to eliminate everyone but first round picks you get to eliminate almost all possibilities. Clever move.

By the way - how is Alan Ball the same situation? Or does that argument only apply when it suits you?

Oh, and Mathieu was a 3rd round pick - not a project. I could add Marcus Gilchrist to the list - 2nd rounder. LaMarcus Joyner - 2nd rounder. I'm sure there are more, but I've got things to do besides this.

And, of course, Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson weren't projects .... oh, but you dismissed them because they were too good. It seems you are willing to ignore what doesn't fit what you want to see.
Well I assumed you would keep it in context to what Byron Jones is. But you brought up guys who don't fit the same mold as Byron. None of those guys you listed were a 1st round pick. And Matheiu WAS A project because he was undersized and he had a questionable history that scared teams away.

And I never dismissed Ronnie Lott and Rod Woods. You listed two of the best DB's of all time. Those were two examples. My stance on them was they weren't even in this decade but those were two very good examples. I just don't think because they made that switch makes it a easy switch like you are stating.

Most NFL safeties aren't 1st round picks? This furthers my point. Cowboys don't invest 1st rounders into safeties. Byron was drafted as a cornerback.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I assumed you would keep it in context to what Byron Jones is. But you brought up guys who don't fit the same mold as Byron. None of those guys you listed were a 1st round pick. And Matheiu WAS A project because he was undersized and he had a questionable history that scared teams away.

And I never dismissed Ronnie Lott and Rod Woods. You listed two of the best DB's of all time. Those were two examples. My stance on them was they weren't even in this decade but those were two very good examples. I just don't think because they made that switch makes it a easy switch like you are stating.

Most NFL safeties aren't 1st round picks? This furthers my point. Cowboys don't invest 1st rounders into safeties. Byron was drafted as a cornerback.

If it is so incredibly difficult to go from being a CB to a safety how does it matter what round a player is drafted in? Why would a first rounder not be able to do it as well as a 2nd rounder can? Or a 3rd rounder? Or a 5th rounder? Or an UDFA? Especially if that 1st rounder has previous experience at safety.

But if you want a recent first round example, let's go with Devin McCarty. Started as a CB, and became a Pro Bowl safety.

As for your insistence the Cowboys drafted him exclusively as a CB, check out this video with Jerry, Stepehn and Jason right after Byron was drafted. It totally disproves what you are saying. It's chock full of talk about Jones's ability to play safety, and Jerry says the fact that Jones plays safety was prominent in the decision to take him. Later he says they were hoping to get a player who could play CB, but could also be an excellent safety if they were able to get Claiborne back healthy at CB. Garrett goes on to say that they feel he has the chance to be either an excellent CB or an excellent safety. He also says that while he will probably start at CB, he may end up playing safety.

https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/simgad/16241788381129674477

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If it is so incredibly difficult to go from being a CB to a safety how does it matter what round a player is drafted in? Why would a first rounder not be able to do it as well as a 2nd rounder can? Or a 3rd rounder? Or a 5th rounder? Or an UDFA? Especially if that 1st rounder has previous experience at safety.

But if you want a recent first round example, let's go with Devin McCarty. Started as a CB, and became a Pro Bowl safety.

As for your insistence the Cowboys drafted him exclusively as a CB, check out this video with Jerry, Stepehn and Jason right after Byron was drafted. It totally disproves what you are saying. It's chock full of talk about Jones's ability to play safety, and Jerry says the fact that Jones plays safety was prominent in the decision to take him. Later he says they were hoping to get a player who could play CB, but could also be an excellent safety if they were able to get Claiborne back healthy at CB. Garrett goes on to say that they feel he has the chance to be either an excellent CB or an excellent safety. He also says that while he will probably start at CB, he may end up playing safety.

https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/simgad/16241788381129674477
That's like saying why can't a QB in the 1st round be as good as Tom Brady since Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. You know that isn't how the NFL works.

And i'm well AWARE that the Cowboys THOUGHT Byron could do both. It was up to the Cowboys to get him in camp and determine what most of us have already seen. Everyone has been screaming Byron is a corner since his rookie season. So do I doubt the Cowboys thought Byron could play some safety? Sure. But that being his permament decision? I sure hope that wasn't the case because regardless of how many examples you give......corner and free safety isn't the same position and this organization has had zero success even drafting a free safety let alone trying to convert one from corner.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's like saying why can't a QB in the 1st round be as good as Tom Brady since Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. You know that isn't how the NFL works.

And i'm well AWARE that the Cowboys THOUGHT Byron could do both. It was up to the Cowboys to get him in camp and determine what most of us have already seen. Everyone has been screaming Byron is a corner since his rookie season. So do I doubt the Cowboys thought Byron could play some safety? Sure. But that being his permament decision? I sure hope that wasn't the case because regardless of how many examples you give......corner and free safety isn't the same position and this organization has had zero success even drafting a free safety let alone trying to convert one from corner.

Lol - no, it’s really not like saying that at all. I never said it proves a move to safety would be highly successful, I said it disproves your claim that there can’t be an expectation for it to be successful and that other players don’t do it successfully, and I said it is illogical to suggest that somehow the only players that can do it are lower rated prospects.

Bottom line is I gave you multiple examples that it does actually happen, so you changed your narrative. But even as illogical as the new narrative was, I found you some examples with 1st and 2nd round draft picks. What about those? I guess you are ignoring those examples because you haven’t yet figured how to change the narrative again to explain that.

The fact is, you are incapable of rational discussion because rather than use facts to form the narrative, you form the narrative to fit whatever you claim to be fact at the time. The same thing is happening with your claim now that you knew all along they drafted him as a possible safety as well as a possible CB. This after spending all day saying he was drafted as a CB only and the Cowboys wouldn’t draft a safety in the first round and that the Cowboys had somehow committed to playing him at CB. You were proven wrong, so you just changed your narrative

Tussinman

Reaction score
Cannot argue with any of that. The entire 2015 draft was basically a waste for Dallas; and it ruins a run of some pretty solid classes over the past decade.
I still have nightmares about that draft. If the cowboys had been able to draft 2 to 3 solid starters that year they would be a completely different team right now.