Twitter: Cowboys expected to pick up 5th year option on Byron Jones

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You a missing the point. Or trying to avoid it. The point is that he was at a position and had a skill set where it was reasonable for a team to move him within the O-Line rather than say he had to stick with the position he played in college. The same applies to Jones and the defensive backfield. You are suggesting that because Jones played CB the last 2 years of his college career he could only be drafted as a CB, and could only be reasonably used as a CB in the NFL. Hell, you are acting as if the Cowboys were somehow obligated to use him as a CB. That's not reality. For Jones or Martin. Or any number of other players.
No I'm telling you that Byron was drafted as a cornerback but you seem to value him playing safety in college as a reason to validate the position switch. Your logic makes no sense. They drafted him as a corner....uhh yeah they were obligated to use him at corner. You don't move a guard to left tackle just like you don't move a corner to safety and expect the same results:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I'm telling you that Byron was drafted as a cornerback but you seem to value him playing safety in college as a reason to validate the position switch. Your logic makes no sense. They drafted him as a corner....uhh yeah they were obligated to use him at corner. You don't move a guard to left tackle just like you don't move a corner to safety and expect the same results:

lol - Byron was drafted to be a Dallas Cowboy. No matter what you think or say, there is no obligation to use a player in the same position he played in college, and the Dallas Cowboys said from the time he was drafted he could play either position. It was never a secret. I seriously doubt Byron Jones would tell you that the Cowboys somehow screwed him by using him as a safety. I think he understood all along that was a possibility.

I'm not validating him moving to safety because he played it in college, I'm validating it because his NFL team had a need at safety and felt he could play the position. The fact that he played it some in college just supports the idea that he could play it again.

As for your comment that you don't move a G to LT, that's only because a G isn't likely to have the skills needed to play LT, not because the team is obligated to use a player at G. But the fact is, CBs DO move to safety sometimes, and sometimes very successfully. Two of the top safeties in NFL history, Rod Woodson and Ronnie Lott, started as CBs.

Plankton

Reaction score
Not sure what the hand wringing is here, but all this does is, in effect, secure the right of first refusal for the Cowboys on Jones for next year. Unless he gets injured in a team activity/game, the money isn't guaranteed. Jones has also been a good player, despite all of the negatives thrown in his direction. Can he improve at being more physical? Absolutely. That being said, he does well in coverage on tight ends, and as a boundary corner, I think he will be a good contributor.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
lol - Byron was drafted to be a Dallas Cowboy. No matter what you think or say, there is no obligation to use a player in the same position he played in college, and the Dallas Cowboys said from the time he was drafted he could play either position. It was never a secret. I seriously doubt Byron Jones would tell you that the Cowboys somehow screwed him by using him as a safety. I think he understood all along that was a possibility.

I'm not validating him moving to safety because he played it in college, I'm validating it because his NFL team had a need at safety and felt he could play the position. The fact that he played it some in college just supports the idea that he could play it again.

As for your comment that you don't move a G to LT, that's only because a G isn't likely to have the skills needed to play LT, not because the team is obligated to use a player at G. But the fact is, CBs DO move to safety sometimes, and sometimes very successfully. Two of the top safeties in NFL history, Rod Woodson and Ronnie Lott, started as CBs.
For every Rod Woodson there are hundreds of Alan Balls.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

This is true, and hell Byron was a damn good safety his in 2016.

ondaedg

Reaction score
He was a top 3 rookie in 2015, then was well above average his sophomore season. He regressed last season, but he's easily been mediocre or much better at all times.

Top 3 overhyped guy who looked ok on the field but statistically was actually terrible?

The idea of what a "solid" player on these forums is absurdly arbitrary in every respect. He gave up 12 catches, 185yds and 2 tds to Jordan Reed and many thought he played a "solid" game. If that is solid what is a bad game? Crazy.

I think people see him competing and not getting burned for 80yd touchdowns and automatically label him solid even if he is on the losing end 80% of the time.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Lol you say the same thing every off season about this dude. You pounded the table for him last offseason. Saying he will breakout last year. Face the facts he was a bad draft pick and we need to move on after the 5th year. I think picking up the 5th year was a good move so you have depth and it's not so expensive. Do I think he should be offered a second contract. Absolutely not. We need to try and upgrade "average".

And let's not forget that he doesn't fit JG's emphasis on physical play. Byron Jones may be the least physical db we've ever had and that includes Deion.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Top 3 overhyped guy who looked ok on the field but statistically was actually terrible?

.....um no. He was a top 3 rookie on the field. Who the **** cares about a DBs statistics? Lmao. Especially a CB. And 65 tackles with 8 PDs as a rookie is far from "terrible". It's actually the opposite of terrible.

The idea of what a "solid" player on these forums is absurdly arbitrary in every respect. He gave up 12 catches, 185yds and 2 tds to Jordan Reed and many thought he played a "solid" game. If that is solid what is a bad game? Crazy.

This is a complete fabrication from you.

I think people see him competing and not getting burned for 80yd touchdowns and automatically label him solid even if he is on the losing end 80% of the time.

I like my DBs to be able to cover effectively. That's exactly what Byron does.

ondaedg

Reaction score

Lol. You like your DBs to cover effectively so you like Byron Jones? Once again the idea of what a good player is around here is completely mind boggling.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Of course not everyone is a superstar talent. That wasn't the point. The obvious point is the skill sets are similar enough that a CB often can move to safety. There are other less notable, but still successful examples, a couple of which I gave you earlier.

Consider this .... the Patriots have 9 players on their roster listed only as DB. They have a few listed as CB or safety, but overall the overlap of skills and duties is such that they don't even label many of them as exclusively a CB or safety.

We aren't talking about the difference between a TE who catches passes on offense and a LB who stuffs the run on defense the way you suggested before, this is two positions on the same side of the ball and in the same defensive backfield and that require very similar skill sets. Both positions have pass coverage responsibilities and run support responsibilities from the defensive backfield. Both need the speed and flexibility to stick with WRs. Sure they don't play an identical role in the defense, but the speed and instincts for a CB can very clearly translate to the speed and instincts for safety.

It's common for teams to shift college 4-3 DE's to 3-4 OLBs, or college OTs to OG, or college wide receivers to slot receivers. How do you think that is possible given that the positions aren't identical? The answer is because there is enough overlap in the skill sets and responsibilities that some may able to handle either, or they may even be better suited in the pros for the new position. The same applies to a CB, who if he has the speed and quickness to stick with a receiver step for step from the time the receiver releases from the line of scrimmage, should easily have the speed and quickness to stick with a receiver while giving him a 10-15 yard cushion.

Last edited:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Lol. You like your DBs to cover effectively so you like Byron Jones? Once again the idea of what a good player is around here is completely mind boggling.

You dont like your DBs to cover effectively? Interesting stance, but I can see why you hate Byron so much then.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I like good DBs. Byron Jones has 2 interceptions for his whole career. He is clearly not good. Your idea of good is off the Richter scale.

Ohhhhhhh you're one of those that only look at a DBs INT total when evaluating them. Don't let too many people know that about you, it's a really bad look lmao, and shows how much the poster actually knows.

My idea of good is allowing the second lowest passer rating when covering the slot in the entire nfl, 50.8 rating. That was in 2017.

In 2016 there was only safety with more tackles and PDs than Byron in the league. That was DPOY runner up, Landon Collins.

But dont let facts get in the way of your Richter scale.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

By the way, are you saying Alan Ball failed to become a high quality player because he was used initially as a safety instead of a CB, or that he was notably better at either safety or CB than the other, and having to switch positions is what hurt his career?

cern

Reaction score
My furniture is having another pre-draft mega sale . 50%off all couches and arm chairs.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I like good DBs. Byron Jones has 2 interceptions for his whole career. He is clearly not good. Your idea of good is off the Richter scale.
You will lose a battle with QCE he loves average players. Ty craw, barry church, bumdrick, and byron jones are his pet cats.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You will lose a battle with QCE he loves average players. Ty craw, barry church, bumdrick, and byron jones are his pet cats.

Lol there you go saying stupid **** again.

But it is pretty weird having a stalker on these boards, not gonna lie.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Lol there you go saying stupid **** again.

But it is pretty weird having a stalker on these boards, not gonna lie.
Lol you wish I was stalking you. I've just seen you post for the last 2 years. You love average and never want to move on from players. I don't know why. Do you have abandonment issues?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Of course not everyone is a superstar talent. That wasn't the point. The obvious point is the skill sets are similar enough that a CB often can move to safety. There are other less notable, but still successful examples, a couple of which I gave you earlier.

Consider this .... the Patriots have 9 players on their roster listed only as DB. They have a few listed as CB or safety, but overall the overlap of skills and duties is such that they don't even label many of them as exclusively a CB or safety.

We aren't talking about the difference between a TE who catches passes on offense and a LB who stuffs the run on defense the way you suggested before, this is two positions on the same side of the ball and in the same defensive backfield and that require very similar skill sets. Both positions have pass coverage responsibilities and run support responsibilities from the defensive backfield. Both need the speed and flexibility to stick with WRs. Sure they don't play an identical role in the defense, but the speed and instincts for a CB can very clearly translate to the speed and instincts for safety.

It's common for teams to shift college 4-3 DE's to 3-4 OLBs, or college OTs to OG, or college wide receivers to slot receivers. How do you think that is possible given that the positions aren't identical? The answer is because there is enough overlap in the skill sets and responsibilities that some may able to handle either, or they may even be better suited in the pros for the new position. The same applies to a CB, who if he has the speed and quickness to stick with a receiver step for step from the time the receiver releases from the line of scrimmage, should easily have the speed and quickness to stick with a receiver while giving him a 10-15 yard cushion.
Corners switching to safety isn't as you are making it sound. If it was you would have more than two examples of someone doing it effectively.