Cowboys fading down the stretch

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
I thank Parcells for what he did but I am glad he is gone... I know that is not nice btw.

sago1

Reaction score
Joe has been in charge of conditioning since before Parcells arrived and there was no previously record of this team collapsing during those years. It is possible some of our players were more injuried then they willing to admit under Parcells reign which affected last month of play.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
sago1;1487274 said:
Joe has been in charge of conditioning since before Parcells arrived and there was no previously record of this team collapsing during those years. It is possible some of our players were more injuried then they willing to admit under Parcells reign which affected last month of play.

Like RWs shoulder.

gbrittain

Reaction score
superpunk;1487224 said:
Right. :rolleyes:

Keep piling it on Parcells. It can't just be that these players aren't any good.

Granted, that would be on Parcells too, for picking them in the first place, but for ****'s sake at least that's tangible.

Christ...sooner or later everyone's going to wake up from this wet dream wherein they imagine that Parcells was holding everyone back, and realize that it wasn't really Elen Grindemyr - they just pissed the bed.

I realized that is a possibility a long time ago. I hope for all of our sakes that it is not true.

Either way you slice it BP's tenure was less than stellar. Glad he is gone.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Parcells is a great coach and he really changed this program from being mediocre to being decent now. I think next year we will be one of the teams in there to win it all if we get a good pass rush. Everything on our offense is solid. Romo looked promising last year, but he still needs to get better. Defense has some question marks with the DBs, but good pressure helps DBs play better.

superpunk

Reaction score
smarta5150;1487235 said:
Blah blah blah.

Careful... the people who were/are anti-Parcells really have nothing to lose.

If we suck, its Parcells who got us the groceries and nothing has changed anyway,

If we win, Wade was able to motivate and actually manage a game.

Maybe thats too simple but in any case Parcells had his chance... we were a .500 team with no playoff victories.

I hope the door didn't hit him on his way out [if I really disliked him I would have said DID].

blah yourself. :p:

He wasn't all that was advertised. It's fine to be disappointed in what he ultimately accomplished here, although it was impressive any way you slice it, just as his rebuilding efforts in NY and NE were impressive. And we were WAY farther gone than they were.

I already mentioned that either way you slice it (whether it be his coaching skills, scheme, or his player acquisitions) it's on him. It's not the "blaming Parcells" that is irritating. It's the magical fairyland of make believe that people are choosing to live in just because they want desperately for these players to not actually suck.

"Oh, just wait and see what a year away from Parcells tyrannical yoke will do for these players. Julius will actually see the holes and run harder. Marcus will lay off the krispy Kreme. Bradie will find the Wizard of Oz. We'll all float around on clouds and drink cocoa."

blah.

"But Julius and Marcus have complained!" you say. "Straight from the horses mouth" you say. Well, I ask you....Where are the complaints from DeMarcus Ware, Terrence Newman, Tony Romo, and Jason Witten? Why don't we hear them *****ing and moaning about big bad Parcells and his penchant for overcoaching? After all, Terrence Newman would probably be a perennial pro-bowler playing on a team with a scheme that allows him to be aggressive, to play with his face to the ball, with more opportunities for INTs. DeMarcus Ware would have gotten far more recognition if he could have been a most-time pass-rusher and if we would blitz as often as a team like San Diego. Witten could have been far more productive if he hadn't been hamstrung by excessive blocking requirements and compensating for our woeful RT situation and Drew Bledsoe's shortcomings.

But we hear nothing from any of them.

Why is that?

Because they are excellent players. They don't need the comfortable little excuse blanket that "scheme and coaching" provides. They understand what one of Parcells' favorite signs really meant.

"Blame nobody - Expect Nothing - Do Something. Losers sit around in small groups, *****ing about the coach, the system, and other players, and winners come together as a team."

There is no amount of coaching, scheme, or playcalling that can hold good players down. There's evidence of this on our own team, but still the excuses for the underachievers abound.

Maybe Parcells "wasn't for them". Maybe Spears and Julius and Bradie couldn't take his overbearing personality and burning desire to win. But I've got news for everyone. Parcells being gone isn't going to change the excuse-making loser mentality those players have. We can only hope that Wade's got the stones to keep them from infecting the rest of the team. Because if not, it can always go back to the way it was.

Sorry for the rant.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Wade is going to be a very good coach......he just had bad luck at his early stops.......

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
superpunk;1487648 said:
blah yourself. :p:

He wasn't all that was advertised. It's fine to be disappointed in what he ultimately accomplished here, although it was impressive any way you slice it, just as his rebuilding efforts in NY and NE were impressive. And we were WAY farther gone than they were.

I already mentioned that either way you slice it (whether it be his coaching skills, scheme, or his player acquisitions) it's on him. It's not the "blaming Parcells" that is irritating. It's the magical fairyland of make believe that people are choosing to live in just because they want desperately for these players to not actually suck.

"Oh, just wait and see what a year away from Parcells tyrannical yoke will do for these players. Julius will actually see the holes and run harder. Marcus will lay off the krispy Kreme. Bradie will find the Wizard of Oz. We'll all float around on clouds and drink cocoa."

blah.

"But Julius and Marcus have complained!" you say. "Straight from the horses mouth" you say. Well, I ask you....Where are the complaints from DeMarcus Ware, Terrence Newman, Tony Romo, and Jason Witten? Why don't we hear them *****ing and moaning about big bad Parcells and his penchant for overcoaching? After all, Terrence Newman would probably be a perennial pro-bowler playing on a team with a scheme that allows him to be aggressive, to play with his face to the ball, with more opportunities for INTs. DeMarcus Ware would have gotten far more recognition if he could have been a most-time pass-rusher and if we would blitz as often as a team like San Diego. Witten could have been far more productive if he hadn't been hamstrung by excessive blocking requirements and compensating for our woeful RT situation and Drew Bledsoe's shortcomings.

But we hear nothing from any of them.

Why is that?

Because they are excellent players. They don't need the comfortable little excuse blanket that "scheme and coaching" provides. They understand what one of Parcells' favorite signs really meant.

"Blame nobody - Expect Nothing - Do Something. Losers sit around in small groups, *****ing about the coach, the system, and other players, and winners come together as a team."

There is no amount of coaching, scheme, or playcalling that can hold good players down. There's evidence of this on our own team, but still the excuses for the underachievers abound.

Maybe Parcells "wasn't for them". Maybe Spears and Julius and Bradie couldn't take his overbearing personality and burning desire to win. But I've got news for everyone. Parcells being gone isn't going to change the excuse-making loser mentality those players have. We can only hope that Wade's got the stones to keep them from infecting the rest of the team. Because if not, it can always go back to the way it was.

Sorry for the rant.

I have been labelled a Coach Parcells lover, but I cannot argue against anything you just wrote. Excellent post.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I wonder if it's been a lack of half(-through-the-season-)time adjustments. Feels like other teams just figure us out - what works early stops working late.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
smarta5150;1487146 said:
I grew up in South River, home of Pearson and Theeezman (Middlesex).

Now I live in Bradley Beach (Monmouth).

I should be living in Galloway/Absecon within the next month.

I was born in Islein and across the alley lived Tommy James's drummer...ya know for such a tiny state it has put out its fair share of talent.

Who you might ask...

well theres me and Lou Costello and Bruce Springsteen and a bunch of others

randy932

Reaction score
Vintage;1487135 said:
No kidding.

This team is eons better than we were before Parcells took over.

Whoop-de doo! Where this team was at when parcells took over, a blind monkey throwing darts at a list of players could have improved the talent level of the team. Any NFL coach would have had to try NOT to improve the level of the talent for us to not be improved. Parcells was very, very mediocre in the talent acqiring department. He sucked as a on-field coach. As a talent acquirere, just about as good as Bozo-the-Clown using an Ouija board. Yes, our talent is better, but not because Parcells had any special talent for acquiring talent.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
TheSport78;1487116 said:
I looked up our schedule since Parcells arrived in Big D in 2003. I looked at the final 8 games of each season and came up with a disappointing 15-18 record. This has been a reoccuring theme of our Cowboys teasing us in 03', 05' and 06' as possible NFC Super Bowl contenders. But then we find out that the Cowboys were just pretenders. I know Joe Juraszek has been very highly regarded by the coaching staff and past/present Cowboy players with helping them achieve their individual training regimens. Endurance is a very important aspect of any sport and in recent memory we've faded down the stretch. Could it be due to poor conditioning by Joe? The strength and conditioning coach from the Yankees just got fired, and I'm not saying the same will happen with Dallas, but it's just odd how we've faded down the stretch so consistently in the past four years. Thoughts?

maybe it was Bills' energy level that was fading? but you are right we did fade for what ever reason

joseephuss

Reaction score
TheSport78;1487116 said:
I looked up our schedule since Parcells arrived in Big D in 2003. I looked at the final 8 games of each season and came up with a disappointing 15-18 record. This has been a reoccuring theme of our Cowboys teasing us in 03', 05' and 06' as possible NFC Super Bowl contenders. But then we find out that the Cowboys were just pretenders. I know Joe Juraszek has been very highly regarded by the coaching staff and past/present Cowboy players with helping them achieve their individual training regimens. Endurance is a very important aspect of any sport and in recent memory we've faded down the stretch. Could it be due to poor conditioning by Joe? The strength and conditioning coach from the Yankees just got fired, and I'm not saying the same will happen with Dallas, but it's just odd how we've faded down the stretch so consistently in the past four years. Thoughts?

That doesn't sound right. First 15 wins + 18 losses = 33 games, but 8 games x 4 seasons = 32 games. Sorry could not resist. I checked and came up with 16 wins and 16 losses just looking at the last 8 games of the past 4 seasons. It gets worse if you look at the last 4 games of the last 4 seasons with 6 wins and 10 losses. That ain't good.

randy932

Reaction score
IndianaCowboyFan;1487191 said:
I could not agree more. They are leaps and bounds better personnel wise than before. They have fewer holes and are athletically better at almost every position. They have better depth at most positions. A year to see what final needs they have left and after a good draft next year there will be few complaints. Especially if Wade can coach at all.

Let's give three cheers for a dinosaur doing what any NFL coach could have done, and many would have done much better. A poor coach and a mediocre talent acquirer.

superpunk

Reaction score
randy932;1487718 said:
Whoop-de doo! Where this team was at when parcells took over, a blind monkey throwing darts at a list of players could have improved the talent level of the team. Any NFL coach would have had to try NOT to improve the level of the talent for us to not be improved. Parcells was very, very mediocre in the talent acqiring department. He sucked as a on-field coach. As a talent acquirere, just about as good as Bozo-the-Clown using an Ouija board. Yes, our talent is better, but not because Parcells had any special talent for acquiring talent.

randy932;1487722 said:
Let's give three cheers for a dinosaur doing what any NFL coach could have done, and many would have done much better. A poor coach and a mediocre talent acquirer.

You posts drip with intelligence, sensibility and even-handedness.

I applaud you, sir.

randy932

Reaction score
superpunk;1487724 said:
You posts drip with intelligence, sensibility and even-handedness.

I applaud you, sir.

Fact driven as well. Oh condescending one.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
randy932;1487729 said:
Everyone that gives Parcells a hard time about his talent acquisition does so because he missed so much on the o-line in the draft and free agency.

superpunk

Reaction score
randy932;1487729 said:

I was being complimentary.

I'm well aware that the facts are on your side. Anyone could have nabbed Jason Witten in the third round (after 31 other teams passed on him twice), Crayton in the seventh, developed Tony Romo as an undrafted free agent who made the pro-bowl his first year starting, resurrected Terry Glenn to be one of the league's most dynamic receivers after trading only a 6th round pick for him, resurrected Marc Colombo's career after the Bears failed to hang with him, and coaxed a #1 defensive ranking and the playoffs out of a team that had just gone 5-11 for three straight years, was almost completely devoid of talent and going nowhere fast, and then managed three out of four winning seasons.

You've got all sorts of facts. Just like you did with your farcical Julius Jones apologetic idea. :cool: