Cowboys fading down the stretch

randy932

Reaction score
dogunwo;1487731 said:
Everyone that gives Parcells a hard time about his talent acquisition does so because he missed so much on the o-line in the draft and free agency.

I get sick and tired of hearing how Parcells amassed so much talent here. If he was so good at acqiring talent, then the best team would not have been his first team, the one that consisted of Campo's guys. After that, we fell back, never to get to as good of a record again.

It isn't just his huge failures with the OL either. There is the waste of the 4th round pick for Skyler Green. Brady James , Fasano. All wasted picks.

Yellow Lab

Reaction score
smarta5150;1487146 said:
I grew up in South River, home of Pearson and Theeezman (Middlesex).

Now I live in Bradley Beach (Monmouth).

I should be living in Galloway/Absecon within the next month.

over in Waterford Works, just west of Hammonton, in Camden county. Real good brewpub in A.C., right next to the convention center, called "Tun Tavern". Great beer (All American IPA is my personal favorite), and they must hire models as the barmaids - they're smokin'!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk;1487648 said:
blah yourself. :p:

"Blame nobody - Expect Nothing - Do Something. Losers sit around in small groups, *****ing about the coach, the system, and other players, and winners come together as a team."

There is no amount of coaching, scheme, or playcalling that can hold good players down. There's evidence of this on our own team, but still the excuses for the underachievers abound.

Maybe Parcells "wasn't for them". Maybe Spears and Julius and Bradie couldn't take his overbearing personality and burning desire to win. But I've got news for everyone. Parcells being gone isn't going to change the excuse-making loser mentality those players have. We can only hope that Wade's got the stones to keep them from infecting the rest of the team. Because if not, it can always go back to the way it was.

Sorry for the rant.
I wanted to quote the whole thing, but for the sake of the thread I won't.

Great post... :cool:

randy932

Reaction score
superpunk;1487738 said:
I was being complimentary.

I'm well aware that the facts are on your side. Anyone could have nabbed Jason Witten in the third round (after 31 other teams passed on him twice), Crayton in the seventh, developed Tony Romo as an undrafted free agent who made the pro-bowl his first year starting, resurrected Terry Glenn to be one of the league's most dynamic receivers after trading only a 6th round pick for him, resurrected Marc Colombo's career after the Bears failed to hang with him, and coaxed a #1 defensive ranking and the playoffs out of a team that had just gone 5-11 for three straight years, was almost completely devoid of talent and going nowhere fast, and then managed three out of four winning seasons.

You've got all sorts of facts. Just like you did with your farcical Julius Jones apologetic idea. :cool:

<<You've got all sorts of facts. Just like you did with your farcical Julius Jones apologetic idea. >>

What are you talking about?

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
TheSport78;1487116 said:
I looked up our schedule since Parcells arrived in Big D in 2003. I looked at the final 8 games of each season and came up with a disappointing 15-18 record. This has been a reoccuring theme of our Cowboys teasing us in 03', 05' and 06' as possible NFC Super Bowl contenders. But then we find out that the Cowboys were just pretenders. I know Joe Juraszek has been very highly regarded by the coaching staff and past/present Cowboy players with helping them achieve their individual training regimens. Endurance is a very important aspect of any sport and in recent memory we've faded down the stretch. Could it be due to poor conditioning by Joe? The strength and conditioning coach from the Yankees just got fired, and I'm not saying the same will happen with Dallas, but it's just odd how we've faded down the stretch so consistently in the past four years. Thoughts?

That could be a contributing factor. I am of the opinion that another contributing factor is having training camp in cooler temperatures in Cali or in a dome stadium. It's hard to imagine a team can build toughness and endurance, that really pays off down the stretch, when they're in comfy conditions (realitively speaking), this team should have enough youth not to be wearing out after Thanksgiving. Like I said I think it's A contributing factor, other things could be immaturity of the team as a whole, schemes, coaching and of course drafting, lets face it the Cows haven't drafted just great, even with Bill, since Jimmy was here. But I do think training camp should be in 100 degree temps. and should be longer than it is. JMO:)

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1487780 said:
That could be a contributing factor. I am of the opinion that another contributing factor is having training camp in cooler temperatures in Cali or in a dome stadium. It's hard to imagine a team can build toughness and endurance, that really pays off down the stretch, when they're in comfy conditions (realitively speaking), this team should have enough youth not to be wearing out after Thanksgiving. Like I said I think it's A contributing factor, other things could be immaturity of the team as a whole, schemes, coaching and of course drafting, lets face it the Cows haven't drafted just great, even with Bill, since Jimmy was here. But I do think training camp should be in 100 degree temps. and should be longer than it is. JMO:)

I don't think the conditioning factor was the primary reason for the fade down the stetch. It was more about failing to make late season adjustments or game-planning to match the other team's adjustments. When the Boys beat Indy, thre was a palpable sense of "we've done it" and much chest thumping ensued. We saw several reports which pointed to teams "figuring out" Tony Romo and the Cowboys D and makign successful adjustments. The New Orleans game was perhaps the best example of one team just plain outcoaching the Cowboys. If the Boys got tired, it was because they were outguessed and were not better prepared.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Phrozen Phil;1487832 said:
The New Orleans game was perhaps the best example of one team just plain outcoaching the Cowboys. If the Boys got tired, it was because they were outguessed and were not better prepared.

Not only that, it was simply a fatal flaw that was exposed.

Like a small cut on your opponent in a boxing match, you are going to jab that cut and try to make it bigger. Each time anyone jabbed us in our deep middle at the end of the season, we split wide open and couldn't stop the bleeding. Payton got the scar tissue started and it was pretty obvious afterwards.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Phrozen Phil;1487832 said:
I don't think the conditioning factor was the primary reason for the fade down the stetch. It was more about failing to make late season adjustments or game-planning to match the other team's adjustments. When the Boys beat Indy, thre was a palpable sense of "we've done it" and much chest thumping ensued. We saw several reports which pointed to teams "figuring out" Tony Romo and the Cowboys D and makign successful adjustments. The New Orleans game was perhaps the best example of one team just plain outcoaching the Cowboys. If the Boys got tired, it was because they were outguessed and were not better prepared.

I agree. How many times did we see the Cows get out coached last year. Yeah, it's not just one thing but several organizational, coaching, and personnel flaws.:)

lspain1

Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1487868 said:
I agree. How many times did we see the Cows get out coached last year. Yeah, it's not just one thing but several organizational, coaching, and personnel flaws.:)

I agree with this. In the offseason we have made significant changes to our coaching and personnel. Will it be enough.....?

We'll see.