Cowboys fans have short memories about RBs

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How did Emmitt's heart and determination work out on that 4th and 1 at Philly?
Think of the 4th and 1's Zeke has converted strictly out of his strength and determination overcoming his Oline getting pushed back but still managing to reach the ball out to get the 1st.
No RB can thrive without their Oline contributing. Zeke's heart/desire is not something I question.
As for Zeke not diving over the pile, it's just not his style. He isn't built for short yardage jumps, he needs to build up some steam. Criticizing him for that is like criticizing Emmitt for not being able to truck over defenders. It just wasn't his style. Each RB has different skill sets.
So Zeke leaps over DBs out in the open but is afraid to dive over a pile because of different style or skillset?

Hogwash. Dude simply refuses to do it.

Highest paid RB ever. Yay.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
How did Emmitt's heart and determination work out on that 4th and 1 at Philly?
Think of the 4th and 1's Zeke has converted strictly out of his strength and determination overcoming his Oline getting pushed back but still managing to reach the ball out to get the 1st.
No RB can thrive without their Oline contributing. Zeke's heart/desire is not something I question.
As for Zeke not diving over the pile, it's just not his style. He isn't built for short yardage jumps, he needs to build up some steam. Criticizing him for that is like criticizing Emmitt for not being able to truck over defenders. It just wasn't his style. Each RB has different skill sets.

What are you talking about? You seem like you are saying that Emmitt didn't run over people. That's not true.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It’s a weird bunch of fans on this site. They hate on all the guys that actually have talent.

As well as the guys who didn't ask their permission for how to use leverage to negotiate their contracts. That's what the Zeke hate is all about.

Tussinman

Reaction score
It’s a weird bunch of fans on this site. They hate on all the guys that actually have talent.
It's strange. There where quite a few people whining about how Zack Martin was playing banged up and wasn't as good this year as 2016 and the end result of his 2019 season was him being the highest graded player on the entire roster and making 1st team all-pro...... (lol)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'd like everybody to just do me a favor. Everybody who hates Zeke, please go ahead and just respond to this post confirming that hatred. I'm willing to bet that there aren't many but I keep hearing about these so called Zeke haters so I'm just curious to see if there really are a bunch of those running around.

Thank you in advance.

basel90

Reaction score
Zeke was overpaid , then his production dropped , plus his attitude and negative news kept coming out . Thus the scrutiny .
Once these players and organization wins a super bowl , all will be fine . But this team is still ways from that at this stage .

WeDemBoyz

Reaction score
There are a lot of Cowboys fans on this forum and elsewhere that seem to have short memories about the RB position. Particularly when it comes to the criticism of paying Zeke the contract he signed.
There is some validity to the RB position is expendable and that most wear down before the contract is up.
But, I think Zeke is a special RB and is a mold-breaker, much like Emmitt was.
Emmitt played for over a decade at a high level. Zeke looks to be the type of RB who will excel longer than the average time frame for RBs. He has no history of getting hurt and seems to have the build/athleticism to endure at a high level for multiple years. Now, could he suffer an injury and affect his longevity but that's the nature of the beast.
His contract is basically a 3 year deal, starting this season, for the guarantees and I think he should have no problem justifying the pay given his performance and importance to the team. Many RBs that sign big deals get them out of luck due to having a breakout season and then they either get injured or revert back to their true selves and reveal themselves as average RBs who can be replaced.
Zeke is an exceptional RB specimen and if healthy, he should be the bell cow for more than 3 years and justify his contract.
It's not a dig at Zeke because of his skill as a player. It's the Cowboys overvaluing the RB position. Look around the league... the highest paid RBs are Zeke, Gurley, Leveon, DJ, Freeman, Saquon ... None of them lead their teams to the playoffs. You could go deeper down that list and the same can be said... but Zeke makes twice as much as them. This is not even a joke. You could even look at the most successful individual performances... McCaffrey's heroics occurred on an underwhelming Panthers team. Nick Chubb...same. Derrick Henry broke out in a big big way, but it came totally unexpected and wasn't a winning formula... ultimately, the Titans gave Tannehill $30M per year and decided to tag Henry. Crazy? Not so fast...

Look what happened to Gurley and Freeman.

The pre-extension warning signs were there... RBs being devalued in the draft isn't a new concept... But getting kicked out of the playoffs because CJ Anderson (not Todd Gurley) ran like a bowling ball down our throats should've been a huge wake up all... instead of realizing it when it hit our face... aka RB is really not important... we gave him an extension TWO years early. That's ANOTHER problem when you draft a 1st round RB. They think they are more important than they are. Pollard came in as a 4th round pick and gave us a big boost as a rookie. This kind of impact shouldn't be considered rare or unexpected. The Cowboys build up an OL so that they don't HAVE to pay a big money RB.

The Chiefs and Niners got to the SB using a stable of recycled RBs. Injuries will eventually catch up at the position. Despite the Niners bringing in McKinnon and Coleman, it was Mostert who stepped up big. When the Chiefs lost Kareem Hunt in the offseason, all they did was win the SB with RBs that a common football household can't all name.

Now folks are complaining about a lackluster FA class. There's really not a lot of confidence that Zeke, the Superstar, is going to take this team to another level... because well... that was SUPPOSED to happen this past season when he got his big extension... instead we flopped in a big way.

Our team makes good decisions and not so good decisions, but I feel like we would be fine without Zeke if we replaced him with cheaper options. ...and does anyone else wonder what Houston would've given us if we gave them Zeke over David Johnson???

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There are a lot of Cowboys fans on this forum and elsewhere that seem to have short memories about the RB position. Particularly when it comes to the criticism of paying Zeke the contract he signed.
There is some validity to the RB position is expendable and that most wear down before the contract is up.
But, I think Zeke is a special RB and is a mold-breaker, much like Emmitt was.
Emmitt played for over a decade at a high level. Zeke looks to be the type of RB who will excel longer than the average time frame for RBs. He has no history of getting hurt and seems to have the build/athleticism to endure at a high level for multiple years. Now, could he suffer an injury and affect his longevity but that's the nature of the beast.
His contract is basically a 3 year deal, starting this season, for the guarantees and I think he should have no problem justifying the pay given his performance and importance to the team. Many RBs that sign big deals get them out of luck due to having a breakout season and then they either get injured or revert back to their true selves and reveal themselves as average RBs who can be replaced.
Zeke is an exceptional RB specimen and if healthy, he should be the bell cow for more than 3 years and justify his contract.

Zeke is nothing like Emmitt. Emmitt was the heart and soul of this team and offense. Emmitt was borderline unstoppable at times and showed up big in all the big games. The guy was a TD machine. Zeke is the opposite. Big play and Zeke can never be used in the same sentence.

Only thing Zeke does well is carry the load. But nothing special about the way he runs. Plenty of backs could put up the numbers Zeke does with the carries he gets. Plenty would do better. Zeke has already lost a step. Now that he is paid do you think Zeke is the type of guy to work harder of hang in in Cabo, get drunk, and come in out of shape?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Zeke is a better RB than Emmitt physically gifted wise.
As for his conditioning issues, I think a lot of that was due to his off field issues affecting that. In 2017 he was dealing with the suspension issues and last year his holdout affected him by missing Training camp.
Hopefully he will be able to dedicate to the offseason conditioning and a full TC which should help his conditioning issues. It seems Zeke has always been trying to play himself into condition after the season starts.
If you remember, Emmitt also had conditioning issues. He really dedicated himself to conditioning and addressing his hamstring issues after the 94 season.
Barring anymore suspension issues, I think we will see the best of Zeke.
As for how/why I think Zeke is like Emmitt, I was referring mainly to the fact that it is possible for a RB to play at a high level for beyond the avg RB career.
:facepalm:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Player tangibles...

Zeke: bigger, faster, has more athletic potential

Emmitt: quicker, more jukes, more determination especially in short yardage or at the goal line, more heart.

Zeke can leap over DBs once in the open field...but refuses to dive over the pile for certain crucial 3rd/4th and 1s or goal line attempts. Emmitt would dive over those piles and convert them every time even though he was smaller and not as fast.

Emmitt always showed up. Zeke not so much.

One is physically more gifted than the other, but the other by far had more heart and determination. The results showed on the field.

Zeke is no Emmitt.
Dak is no Troy.... different times with different staffs and different teammates. Switch them and see what happens. You can't, so we'll never know. Emmitt was at the right place in the right time.

Jack Burton

It's all in the reflexes.
Reaction score
The main difference I see between Zeke and Emmitt is desire. Emmitt wanted to be the best. He wanted championships. He wanted rushing titles. He wanted the records. He was a goal driven, over achiever. Zeke just seems to want to get paid and party. I'm not bashing Zeke. I think he's incredibly talented. But he doesn't seem to have the drive that Emmitt had to be an all time great.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The main difference I see between Zeke and Emmitt is desire. Emmitt wanted to be the best. He wanted championships. He wanted rushing titles. He wanted the records. He was a goal driven, over achiever. Zeke just seems to want to get paid and party. I'm not bashing Zeke. I think he's incredibly talented. But he doesn't seem to have the drive that Emmitt had to be an all time great.

Emmitt had moves and quickness. Emmitt juked the safety and Zeke runs into them. There is no comparison.

Jack Burton

It's all in the reflexes.
Reaction score
Emmitt had moves and quickness. Emmitt juked the safety and Zeke runs into them. There is no comparison.
I think heard Emmitt call it "shake and bake" or something way back when he entered the league. But yeah, he sure could make people miss, and his vision was as good as it got. Their talents are different, but Zeke can play. I just don't think he was the drive and desire had to be great. That's the main difference I see. I'm not really comparing running styles.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Highest paid RB ever. Yay.

He isn't the highest paid, he has a contract going forward that is the highest ever given. But its extremely likely it will be restructured or reduced if he isn't performing.

What he actually has been paid over four years is 28 million, which includes the signing bonus for his extension. And he has more rushing yards than any RB in football over that period even though he missed 8 games with a BS suspension.