Cowboys fans living in fantasy land

MojaveJT

Reaction score
I think we’ve been numbed by having JG for a decade. Expecting mediocrity by sometimes winning and sometimes losing.

With this new regime there is now actual hope of something different happening. We don’t know if it’s going to be good or if it’s going to be bad. At least we know it won’t be the same like it has since 2010. It’s hard to base this upcoming season because almost all the variables are different. It’s an unknown period right now but me personally? I have a new feeling of hope.

Creeper

Reaction score
Its not just the Cowboys and the Jones boys. There are a few teams that are consistent winners and a lot of teams that struggle most of the time. I do agree. The Cowboys hit gold with Jimmy and Jerry when they won 3 Super Bowls. Its amazing to me Jerry has been unable to replicate that situation in 25 years.

If I had to put my finger on the one thing that Jerry does that hurts his team its that he believes his own hype when it comes to the players he drafts. He needs to accept that some guys are not worth the money they ask for and just because they play for the Cowboys that does not change. Demarcus Lawrence was overpaid. There are always players Jerry overpays. I've said this a million times but its stupid to argue free agents get paid too much then go and re-sign your own players to ridiculous contracts. Sometimes its better to let your guy go to another team and sign someone else's guy for less money. Free agency is a better opportunity than the draft because you can see the FA player on video playing against other NFL players. You know what you are getting, as long as you keep an open mind. I think Dallas's philosophy of staying out of free agency is like tying one hand behind your back in a fight to keep you hand from getting hurt when you punch your opponent.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Some days, I can only take so much of the meaningless hand-wringing that goes on here:

"Let's sign this guy who just got cut!"

"Let's trade our first round pick for the next 4 years for some QB I only learned existed last month!"

I suppose some of you are young, but the old timers should know better. I fully expect to go to my grave waiting for the Cowboys to win another Super Bowl. Blow smoke up your backside if it makes you feel better, but the 3 SBs in the 90s were all about Jimmy. It's not an accident that Jerry and his son haven't been able to sniff another in a quarter century - do you need another 25 years to accept reality?

Sign Dak! Don't sign Dak!

I'll do you one better - it doesn't matter. The Cowboys brain trust isn't smart enough to build a champion, with or without Dak. The sooner you accept it the less frustrated you'll be when the inevitable happens next season, and the next, and the next...:rolleyes:

That old Metallica song Sad But True comes to mind here...

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Some days, I can only take so much of the meaningless hand-wringing that goes on here:

"Let's trade our first round pick for the next 4 years for some QB I only learned existed last month!"

I suppose some of you are young, but the old timers should know better. I fully expect to go to my grave waiting for the Cowboys to win another Super Bowl. Blow smoke up your backside if it makes you feel better, but the 3 SBs in the 90s were all about Jimmy. It's not an accident that Jerry and his son haven't been able to sniff another in a quarter century - do you need another 25 years to accept reality?

I'll do you one better - it doesn't matter. The Cowboys brain trust isn't smart enough to build a champion, with or without Dak. The sooner you accept it the less frustrated you'll be when the inevitable happens next season, and the next, and the next...:rolleyes:

Yes Jerry and Stephen provide little inspiration. They suffer from Rumsfeld’s worst case scenario the unknown unkonows. They are just clowns. That said my new working theory to enjoy the Cowboys is that they have been drastically under coached for the past 12 plus years. Garrett is and was a total fraud. I think McCarthy is the real deal. He will be good. The roster is solid. If they can field a good QB and add DT, S, TE and CB they should be good to go.

Chin up. Jerry is really old.

ESisback

Reaction score
The older fans telling the younger fans what they should accept and expect, and the younger fans rolling their eyes.

It’s a game.

It’s common for younger people to roll their eyes. They don’t know any better, and they’re getting worse.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yes Jerry and Stephen provide little inspiration. They suffer from Rumsfeld’s worst case scenario the unknown unkonows. They are just clowns.

This is the Mona Lisa of dumb-guy-trying-to-sound-smart posts. With extra credit points awarded for the misspelling.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps it is repetitive callousness that wears on people?

”He is the worst player ever! Here’s why!”

That is your opinion. It is understood now. Thanks for sharing.

[Person repeats the same routine for days, months, years, maybe a decade...]

“Your opinion sucks! You’re a troll (or some other descriptive term)!”

“Your optimism eats away at my soul like a cancer! Shaddup already!”

“This is my favorite player in the whole wide world! And I will make you love him just as much too!

Etc., etc.

Fansites like these should help anyone de-stress.

Problem.

Some never de-stress. Literally.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, the old timers should know better but living through 20 winning seasons and the playoffs were a given, 8 trips but that lull between #5 and #6 just served to set up some time lock. OK, it's been 14 years since our last trip in 1978, time to go again and then another 3 in 4 years. OK, been another 14 years in 2009, time to rev up the SB machine but it just sputters and dies.

Know what? Being an old timer teaches me at my age, I am not what I was 25 years ago or even 10 years ago. Things change, time changes and situations change. We either change with them or we're left shouting "life isn't fair". Especially with change out of our control.

On the old forum, I would be accused of "lowering my standards" when I tried to reason with my fellow posters about accepting reality. I suggested to them then keep yours high and continue to complain and whine and add another year to that X years without a ring. But that gets really old, really fast.

Being a sane Cowboys fan means accepting the reality that the team you are a fan of is not what it used to be, things changed. It's not lowering one's standards, it's adjusting them to meet reality or you find a new team if getting a ring is so important to you. Does that mean you are happy with the situation? Of course not, acceptance has nothing to do with being happy or sad.

Truth be told, we don't like being like Skins fans, we're better than that. Got a little ego entangled in that fanhood? I deserve better?

This team is going to have to get very lucky to get another ring anytime soon. Booger is not a good or full time GM, his son hasn't proven he's able to handle one thing, the cap. The cap is not about being under, it's about how that money is used. It's about evaluating FA's and draft classes and having the self discipline to know when to walk away from a player.

Or here's a strategy. I won't buy in, no matter how much I want to, and then I won't be disappointed like the ones that did. Only you are just as disappointed because why go into any season without hope? Raining on the parade doesn't earn any points any more than being Pollyanna and ignoring reality. And reality can be hard to find and even harder to accept.

The beauty of it is this is still just a game. To me, being a fan isn't about being there when it's easy. The reality is the Dallas Cowboys are only a player in the media. It's all promotion and surface beauty, underneath is a very mediocre football team with less than competent management. I accept that and still remain a fan.

EJK24

Reaction score

I'll agree with the fact that some of the stuff that gets thrown around in terms of what we should/shouldn't do regarding players can become completely ridiculous. I usually just ignore the post and move on.

But what the rest of the post, even though it's got valid points, just doesnt make alot of sense to me. Yea, this organization hasn't exactly been successful in getting us a SB or even an NFC championship game for that matter, but that's got nothing to do with "knowing better."

I dont blindly watch every season expecting a SB based off the hype of Jerry and Co. With their usual b.s. I dont expect that every year is going to be our year because we sign this player or that player.

The point is that I'm a fan of the team and yes I hope every year they improve and do well but I'm not gonna start every year with the thought that Jimmy is gone and we cant win anymore. The Jones' are alot to deal with and often do things we all cant seem to make sense of but it comes with being a fan of this team. So whether we should know better or not? I wont just throw the towel in every year before a game is even played.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After the 3 SB's in the 90's. They still were contenders for a few more years, but all teams fade eventually. Soon even NE will go into a funk also.

But does anyone truly believe after the triplets were aging, Irvin retires due to an injury, Aikman the same a few years later. Emmiitt could not do it all on his own anymore either. So did anyone believe it could keep going with an entire new group of players, which they blew the drafts on. So I expected some down years to rebuild. And it seemed it was happening. Then Bill quits on the team, players stopped playing for Wade, then Jerry is too stubborn to fire his adopted son after 3 years.

But this 25 years stuff is not really 25 years. As I said, expect some down years. So it really has been more like 15 to 18 years. They had a 7 year window with Bill and Wade, then 10 years of Garrett. From 1996 to say 2005, I did not expect anything. Things looked good until for some reason in 2009 the players lost it for Wade.
Since Garrett's 3 win and in 8-8 seasons it really has been a waste more so than those other years.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Who pissed in your cereal?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
That's true of each super bowl winner.

It's always the HC not the owner.

I agree, yet I've seen it debated many times by Cowboys fans.

"What did Jimmy win in Miami?"

Jimmy's been in a TV studio for 20 years and has won as many titles as Jerry. :muttley:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to find something else to do with your time, and your life.

If this team brings you nothing but the misery and disappointment you're claiming, find something more positive and productive to do with your time.

Believe it or not, nobody is forcing you to follow the Cowboys.

Who said anything about misery? I actually enjoy watching Cowboys games now more than I did a few years ago, because I stopped having expectations of success. The disappointment is much less. Seeing Jerry with that stupid look on his face, surprised by something others expected, has become my consolation prize.

What I do find tiresome are some of the offseason threads, and I'm not alone in that regard. You don't seem to like this one and that's your prerogative.

Believe it or not, nobody forced you to read it or respond to it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I feel the Cowboys had two teams with Romo and one so far with Dak that got hot in December and looked like a team that could get to the conference championship or SB. Unless there’s a team just steamrolling everyone, most teams n the playoffs at least have a chance. Those 3 times the defense and offensive turnovers derailed us early. McCarthy is clearly a coach who knows how to get there.

If we can keep a top 5 or even top 10 offense and build a better defense that can slow down the run and get off the field in the fourth quarter, we will have a chance the next few years.

Producing a top ten offense hasn't been the problem. The best defense this team had in the 21st century happened when Quincy Carter was the QB, and the playoff results were what we've seen any other playoff year in the 2000s - watching someone else play in the NFC title game.

The Cowboys SB teams were top 10 on both sides of the ball. That wasn't an accident. Since then it's either good offense/bad defense or vice versa. Romo was wasted. The Dak era looks similar so far. Maybe McCarthy is the answer but we've already seen several coaching changes since the last SB. We'll see.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Life is not a utopia. Everyone experiences disappointment.

My opinion? Any fan, Cowboys or not, can have and retain high expectations of what their favorite team may never accomplish. The simple fact that disappointment can deflate expectation should not make anyone numb to it either.

Be a fan. You are not in control. Stop punching at air. You will fall out long before air cries uncle. Live for experiencing the highs if-and-when they happen Do not live solely for the rollercoaster getting stuck on the track at the bottom of a hill.

Life. Live it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who said anything about misery? I actually enjoy watching Cowboys games now more than I did a few years ago, because I stopped having expectations of success. The disappointment is much less. Seeing Jerry with that stupid look on his face, surprised by something others expected, has become my consolation prize.

What I do find tiresome are some of the offseason threads, and I'm not alone in that regard. You don't seem to like this one and that's your prerogative.

Believe it or not, nobody forced you to read it or respond to it.

Your initial post did. Did you not realize that?

I realize that nobody forced me to read it. But it is my right. As it is to counter your attempt to mislabel everything as awful and terrible.