Cowboys first round picks since 2012

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say this year's #1 should be a center or offensive tackle,,, can't go wrong with OL.
There are so many needs on both sides of the ball, this maybe a year where “best player available” may actually work well, lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When you have a coach, QB, good offensive support and a well disciplined defense you can afford to miss on picks. We only have had 1 of those.
Which one did we have lol? The hell is a "good offensive support"? That's a new term you guys throw out there lol.

DFWJC

Reaction score
They screwed up on Taco and Mo.....I hate these type of tweets. Its like guys sit around and wait for something to knock them for. Go look at the Patriots first round picks since 2012.........didn't stop them from winning rings. Check out the Eagles too. Got themselves a ring.
Also....notice they arbitrarily went back 7 years. The 8th year would've included 7-time Pro Bowler/ 4 time all pro Tyron Smith
:muttley:

ultron

Reaction score

So 2 busts and 5 perennial all-pros/pro-bowlers... 3 of which will probably be in the hall of fame (Zeke, Martin, FredBeard). The Cowboys have drafted extremely well, people must be really really bored right now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well they hit on 5 of the 7

cant really fought the team on injuries.

Note: I have Claiborne as a miss even though he played., Never lived up to the draft status but the entire NFL league & experts had him rated that high. Not like the Cowboys screwed up and reached for a bad player. He was supposed to be a cant miss.

Also lets add 2019 for Cooper in the plus side.

I actually think the front office has been doing pretty well. Taco is the only clear miss

Mo was more of a miss from the fans than from the team viewpoint. Mostly from what the team gave up to get him in hindsight.

stinger26

Reaction score
Any one remember Jimmy's Taco, named Shante Carver?
Kevin Gogan was actually drafted by Tom Landry.

Shante wasn’t a Jimmy pick though. He was Jerry’s first pick after Jimmy left and was a waste of space.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I’d go BPA at any of these positions:

C
LB
WR
S
DE
DT
TE
OT
CB
QB

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
HAVE to go defense.

Actually I'm with you on that,,, waaay to much blood and treasure has been put into an offense that is only going to go so far. My comment was just acknowledging that we've only been good at drafting OL in the first. Hope that changes soon!

Gorgon

Reaction score
Patriots first round picks since 2012: 2012: Chandler Jones (gone) Dont’a Hightower 2013: No Pick 2014: Dominique Easley (gone) 2015: Malcom Brown (gone) 2016: No Pick 2017: No Pick 2018: Isaiah Wynn (hurt) Sony Michel (running back) 2019: N’Keal Harry (hurt)
I'm genuinely asking: what have the Rams done since 2012? Other than Donald, who do they still have?

DFWJC

Reaction score
So 2 busts and 5 perennial all-pros/pro-bowlers... 3 of which will probably be in the hall of fame (Zeke, Martin, FredBeard). The Cowboys have drafted extremely well, people must be really really bored right now.
I hear you
But Hall of Fame may be overstating it. Certainly for Freddy. Maybe if he played 6-7 more years.

Also, who was the other bust besides Taco?

We paid too much for Mo Clai, but he was a very good pro.....just not worth what we paid

ultron

Reaction score
I hear you
But Hall of Fame may be overstating it. Certainly for Freddy. Maybe if he played 6-7 more years.

Also, who was the other bust besides Taco?

We paid too much for Mo Clai, but he was a very good pro.....just not worth what we paid
Cowherd said today that TFred belongs in the Hall of Fame, 5 pro bowls in 7 season and 1x all-pro. Dude was probably the best center of this decade.

The other bust was Mo Claiborne based on where we drafted him and his expectations

ghst187

Reaction score

every player on that list is good some great.
Taco was the wrong pick but not like doesn’t have talent. I’m not sure whom to blame for his failure here honestly.
Mo has a lot of ability too and played really well in stretches...once again who knows if better coaching gets more out of him? He also dealt with injuries. So not like we picked guys without talent..

Tussinman

Reaction score
Cowherd said today that TFred belongs in the Hall of Fame, 5 pro bowls in 7 season and 1x all-pro. Dude was probably the best center of this decade.
I love Travis but he literally has zero chance of ever making the hall of fame. He's at best the 4th best center of this decade (Kelce 3x first team all pro, Alex Mack 3x first team and 3x second team, Pouncey 8x pro bowl with 2x first team and 3x second team).

The fact that Cowherd stated that shows how little he knows about football.

Tussinman

Reaction score
And think about their draft position. Getting two players who turn into Pro Bowlers in the very end of the 1st round (Fred and Byron) is a huge win. The tweet is complaining about getting 6 Pro Bowls out of draft spots that usually just give you a solid starter.
Not only that this list intentionally starts at 2012 and not 2011 because 2011 1st rounder was Tyron Smith whose 1st team all-decade and hall of fame and of course they won't put 4x pro bowler amari cooper as 2019 first round pick because it will make the list look even better

DFWJC

Reaction score

The other bust was Mo Claiborne based on where we drafted him and his expectations
Mo Clai was one of my least favorite picks due to the trade up, but no way he was bust.

And Cowherd is just using hyperbole.
Centers don't make the HOF unless they are on multiple Super Bowl teams and hVe about 10 pro bowls.
Loved TFred, but his best bet is ROH

Thats fine though. We just have different opinions. Nothing radical

Tussinman

Reaction score
Mo Clai was one of my least favorite picks due to the trade up, but no way he was bust.
Yeah the trade up was more the issue than Mo himself.

Cowboys coaching at that time didn't do him any favors either (high coaching turnover rates for Rob Ryan, Monte Kiffin, and Rod Marinelli is a good way for your career to regress).

You could argue we wasted his career, his performance immediately improved the moment he left (same with Newman and Carr, like I said coaches didn't do these players any favors). Unfortuantely for Mo he was only able to keep it up for 2 seasons, injuries started to catch up
Centers don't make the HOF unless they are on multiple Super Bowl teams and hVe about 10 pro bowls.
Interior offensive line is probably the hardest position to make HOF. Alan Faneca has 9x pro bowl, 6x first team all pro, 2x second team + 1st team all-decade and he still hasn't gotten in (has been a finalist for 5 straight years).

Maurkice Pouncey is the only active center in the entire NFL that has a chance to make the hall of fame