Cowboys fixing big Mazi Smith mistake from 2023 as Mike Zimmer arrives

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Bottom line is to take advantage of his strengths. Stop trying to make him into something he is not.

He is a space eater that will free up LB's to make plays. He is never going or have a lot is stats.
That seems to be what this organization does , it does not matter if you pick a great player in the draft,if you don't how to use the player.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I don't think JJ messes around with coaching at all.

What he does is stick his nose into team messaging. In the locker room, Outside of the locker room. And in the draft room. That;s OK when you are winning in the playoffs.

But when you aren't then you have to confront whether you are a help or a hindrance.

So as an example, if you are going to put coaches and players on one year "prove it" deals to create accountability, then where is your accountability model?

Is it to the coaches for the players you draft or sign?

Is it to the players who you attract to the team by either your branding, marketing, player testimonials (I'm fairly certain players call up their buddies to check out the team they are seeing in FA.) or draft?

There are certainkly a lot of false narratives about Jerry Jones, but not all of them are false.
Very well said good post , there in lies the main problem.It's a broken record, everybody knows it.You see a Cowboys fan and walk up to them to have a short conversation about the team.It always ends the same way get Jerry out of the way, and things could improve.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Zimmer was an assistant coach ‘defensive backfield/nickel defense’ in 1994 - THAT team won the Superbowl.

Norv Turner and Dave Wannstadt never had any NFL championship success - until they DID. It takes a really good team AND a lot of luck to win at the highest levels of the NFL.

Mike Zimmer is plenty good enough to win with the right players following his coaching and buying into his scheme.
I am looking forward to seeing the new players drafted for Zimmers scheme.I like this type of defense ,big defensive tackles big linebackers and getting after the QB on desquised blitzes from linebackers and safetys.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
It is also possible that he struggled to keep weight on. It is not unheard of for big guys to get a bit worn down by the having a 21-game schedule. Many players lose weight in season -- not surprising that the biggest guys would lose the most. Very likely something the training and nutrition staff are working on with him this off-season. Not uncommon for young guys not to have a sense of how to prepare themselves.
If this is the actual case, I am surprised at how the staff could not intervene to stop the downward trend.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Jerry answered this question not so long ago, and I believe him.

He does not participate in game planning but wants to be briefed on it each week, and will occasionally say “I’d like to see more of this, that, etc.”

Whether that’s a problem or not is a matter of opinion.

I think the GM certainly ought to know what the game plan is for each week, but when the guy who the players recognize as the main guy isn’t the head coach, I can see how it can affect the latters ability to command the locker room, although I don’t think Mike has done terribly in that regard…considering.
As a GM I would not be focused on the game coming up. That is a total waste of value for the organization.

I would be focusing on the debrief of what happened in the game that just ended, and I would want to know how the players are fitting into the schemes of said games.

Anything future focusing would surround around the strategy forward to compete within the division, the conference and ultimately the SB. Othere than that this is primarily a rear view mirror position to guide the behaviors of the future.

fivetwos

Reaction score
As a GM I would not be focused on the game coming up. That is a total waste of value for the organization.

I would be focusing on the debrief of what happened in the game that just ended, and I would want to know how the players are fitting into the schemes of said games.

Anything future focusing would surround around the strategy forward to compete within the division, the conference and ultimately the SB. Othere than that this is primarily a rear view mirror position to guide the behaviors of the future.
I wouldn’t know if NFL GMs typically are briefed on game plans, or if Jerry is different in that regard.

It would seem to make sense, as the GM needs to ultimately evaluate the staffs ability to carry out that plan.

I dunno, with Jerry it would seem as if he wants to know because he wants a small input to a degree, or so he can tell whatever celebrity is in his suite that he knows what they are going to do, that type of stuff.

But he doesn’t make game plans first hand, and I’d be surprised if he tells the staff who to play and not play.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I think we need to get him one of those electronic dog collars, the ones with the electric shock. When the ball is hike a QA coach can hit the button and get Mazi moving.

Hey, it works for dogs, we can train Mazi!

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't think JJ messes around with coaching at all.

What he does is stick his nose into team messaging. In the locker room, Outside of the locker room. And in the draft room. That;s OK when you are winning in the playoffs.

But when you aren't then you have to confront whether you are a help or a hindrance.

So as an example, if you are going to put coaches and players on one year "prove it" deals to create accountability, then where is your accountability model?

Is it to the coaches for the players you draft or sign?

Is it to the players who you attract to the team by either your branding, marketing, player testimonials (I'm fairly certain players call up their buddies to check out the team they are seeing in FA.) or draft?

There are certainkly a lot of false narratives about Jerry Jones, but not all of them are false.
Sure, he just trades for players that we have no need for without talking to the HC.

Praxit

Reaction score
..yet being that strong proves zippo.

He needs mental aptitude, instincts and right coaching.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Zimmer won't fix anything. If he could, he would have been worth a damn when here before 20 years ago, and would have accomplished something of note with the Vikings. He's the perfect Cowboys hire - familiar and comfortable, has never been a champion at the NFL level, and is guaranteed to not accomplish anything of note.
How can he with GM Jethro? We are down 2 DT's from an already horrendous run D. Jethro thinks having Diggs back will solve the problem.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
“Never been a champion at the nfl level”….except being a coach for super bowl 30 and winning. And you respond with”truth” lol
He wasn't either a DC or HC, and as I already said, Dave Campo was also there. you want him back too?

What's laughable is that you guys think you are sticking it to me with this, but you are just being foolish. I have the facts - Zimmer hasn't accomplished Jack crap as a DC or HC. All you defending this stupid hiring of Zimmer KNOW that I will be correct and that Zimmer will come and go once again as a nothing burger.

Also, if Zimmer was so great then why did he produce all time bad defenses with Dallas during the 5-11 era? His record for giving up 200 yard rushers in one season still stands to this day!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
How can he with GM Jethro? We are down 2 DT's from an already horrendous run D. Jethro thinks having Diggs back will solve the problem.
It's not just that, but Zimmer is a proven mediocre. He wouldn't accomplish anything even if we had a good GM (besides the fact that a good GM wouldn't hire mediocre talent to begin with).

Chasing6

Reaction score
It is very deficit for DC to overcome his opponents and his GM at the same time.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Two of the biggest busts are draftees from Michigan, Kevin Brooks, Big Ten defensive Player of the Year, drafted #1 in 1985, bust galore, sealed Landry's demise; Taco Charlton, taken instead of TJ Watt. I will give Mazi another year before I reach conclusions. But when the Boys draft a D lineman in 1st round, he is supposed to show flashes of being a solid player. I would call in the Manster to teach him some techniques. Putting on weight, it cannot be from eating garbage food to add to a pot belly. It better be more muscle.

quickccc

Reaction score
The main point is he is slow off the snap, which allows the OL to gain position and leverage. With added weight, this becomes more of an issue.

You seem to be relating Mazi's problem with weight and bulk, .. but as i mentioned previously, his problem may be more of the mental sense, than it is
physically. It's more of a reaction time issue.

and as I mentioned, he is not a flabby fatty, he 's not William Perry, Gilbert Brown blob. - he's actually chisled for someone his size -