Cowboys fixing big Mazi Smith mistake from 2023 as Mike Zimmer arrives

quickccc

Reaction score
I would have to agree with you.Mazi being drafted to be a 1 technique and losing weight to 295 from 336 was a head scratcher .Especially when Quinn was playing a safety at LB.It is baffling , Dallas has to draft another 1 technique mainly because they do not know what they have with Mazi at the Nose Tackle position.
Or they will get the cheapest street veteran that plays the 1 tech, via bottom of the bucket free agency , or they make another Hankins like, late round draft pick
trade for an established vet. - mind you it will practically have to be minimal dollar rate as Cap Boy Stephen Jones will make sure of that.

i don't see this team drafting a regarded 1 tech fairly high in the draaft. At the least, they would consider a late rounder which will be pretty much of a project
than prospect. And that would be an inexperienced rookie at that, ..who would that rookie learn the trench wars from ? ...Mazi ?... Gholston ?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
He wasn't either a DC or HC, and as I already said, Dave Campo was also there. you want him back too?

What's laughable is that you guys think you are sticking it to me with this, but you are just being foolish. I have the facts - Zimmer hasn't accomplished Jack crap as a DC or HC. All you defending this stupid hiring of Zimmer KNOW that I will be correct and that Zimmer will come and go once again as a nothing burger.

Also, if Zimmer was so great then why did he produce all time bad defenses with Dallas during the 5-11 era? His record for giving up 200 yard rushers in one season still stands to this day!
You wrote a book, but really it boils down to you saying “never a champion at the nfl level” lol wrong. No soup for you

J_Allen

Reaction score
What's crazy about this .......

****Toco was Marinelli's pick and he was fired a year later

**** Mazi Smith was Quinn's pick and a year later, he took another job

Stop trusting defensive coordinators with our 1st round picks......
They listened to Campo who said he didn't want Jason Taylor or Zach Thomas. Said Taylor's legs were too skinny and that Thomas was too small.

There's a reason he went 5 and 11 each season here.

khiladi

Reaction score
You seem to be relating Mazi's problem with weight and bulk, .. but as i mentioned previously, his problem may be more of the mental sense, than it is
physically. It's more of a reaction time issue.

and as I mentioned, he is not a flabby fatty, he 's not William Perry, Gilbert Brown blob. - he's actually chisled for someone his size -
Yes, people that are slow off the snap often have reaction time issues. When it’s accompanied by added weight, it gets worse, as the slower reaction time has to overcome more weight.

His draft profile says the same thing:

Late reaction to the snap and doesn't have much initial quickness off the ball. This could become a big issue against scoop blocks and reaches at the next level.

Likes to stand up out of his stance. Quick interior offensive linemen who play with good leverage will be his nemesis against the run at the next level.

He's slow to get his hands up as a run defender, which will expose his chest and can lead to his shoulders getting turned versus combo and scoop blocks.

— The effectiveness of his bull rush is inconsistent because of his poor get-off and wide hand placement.

Everything you see in the tape at the lower weight points to the same criticism coming out of college at his higher weight.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....2023-scouting-report-for-michigan-dl.amp.html

DZSierra

Reaction score
I think we need to get him one of those electronic dog collars, the ones with the electric shock. When the ball is hike a QA coach can hit the button and get Mazi moving.

Hey, it works for dogs, we can train Mazi!
Sppend the money on a Dogtra. Vibrate along with electric shock. After one or two proper training sessions, generally you never have to go to the shock mode :)

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I would have to agree with you.Mazi being drafted to be a 1 technique and losing weight to 295 from 336 was a head scratcher .Especially when Quinn was playing a safety at LB.It is baffling , Dallas has to draft another 1 technique mainly because they do not know what they have with Mazi at the Nose Tackle position.
Zim has his hands full with trying to correct this DT situation abysmal mess, and if he does nothing else but strengthen this D vs the run, then his hire was successful.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think we need to get him one of those electronic dog collars, the ones with the electric shock. When the ball is hike a QA coach can hit the button and get Mazi moving.

Hey, it works for dogs, we can train Mazi!
I can testify to that working, my wife has had me on one for years.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The main point is he is slow off the snap, which allows the OL to gain position and leverage. With added weight, this becomes more of an issue.
How is it a problem if his job is to eat up space and keep the LB's clean to run freely. If we drafted him to penetrate the OLine then we are stupid.

If we drafted him in the first, thinking Michigan misused him we are stupid.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Just another example of the Cowboys not understanding complimentary football.

I would be more than happy if Mazi got zero tackles and we had a MLB with 200 combined tackles.

Then we would want to cut Mazi and watch our 200 tackles LB drop down to 120 and wonder what happened.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes, people that are slow off the snap often have reaction time issues. When it’s accompanied by added weight, it gets worse, as the slower reaction time has to overcome more weight.

His draft profile says the same thing:

Everything you see in the tape at the lower weight points to the same criticism coming out of college at his higher weight.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....2023-scouting-report-for-michigan-dl.amp.html
It's criticism and flaws but it's not neccessary accustomed to weight, overweight ,too much weight.
As I've mentioned repeatedly, mazi has a chiseled frame and build. That's more muscle than it is flab and blubber.
But you' seem to be making it out as fat.

We all know what the reports and profiles of mazi were pre draft. But it doesn't tell or indicate that his slow get off is weight related.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mazi is fixed. Approach the rest of the offseason accordingly.

Can we get this thread closed?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I doubt very seriously they are fixing Mazi. He needs to gain weight and get stronger. He just had off-season shoulder surgery. Tell me how he is getting stronger. Maybe he is working on his lower body but his upper body is just healing from surgery. Maybe he is getting deeper in the playbook to get his football mind right. But until he can beef up his upper body, he still won't be right.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Mazi is fixed. Approach the rest of the offseason accordingly.

Can we get this thread closed?
Incorrect. He was never broken.

Apparently, the Michigan coaches were coaching him all wrong.

The same Michigan coaches who are 40-3 the last three seasons and won a National Championship.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's criticism and flaws but it's not neccessary accustomed to weight, overweight ,too much weight.
As I've mentioned repeatedly, mazi has a chiseled frame and build. That's more muscle than it is flab and blubber.
But you' seem to be making it out as fat.

We all know what the reports and profiles of mazi were pre draft. But it doesn't tell or indicate that his slow get off is weight related.
If we drafted Mazi to be a different player than he was in college that was a huge mistake.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Why not give Mazi a chamce to bulk back up and see what he can do? Establish a baseline of capability that plays to his inherent STRENGTHS - and THEN adjust the game plan going forward.

For all we know - the Cowboys may ALREADY have their man. It may have been a case of the player was mis-assigned to the wrong weight and technique. I think Zimm can dig him back out to be the impactful player he can be. As a 1ST-rounder, he certainly deserves further scrutiny.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Why not give Mazi a chamce to bulk back up and see what he can do? Establish a baseline of capability that plays to his inherent STRENGTHS - and THEN adjust the game plan going forward.

For all we know - the Cowboys may ALREADY have their man. It may have been a case of the player was mis-assigned to the wrong weight and technique. I think Zimm can dig him back out to be the impactful player he can be. As a 1ST-rounder, he certainly deserves further scrutiny.
Zimmer could bring the best out of Mazi ,in the way he coaches and the scheme he runs.I believe Zimmer will bring a new agressive aproach and build an exciting defense .Looking forward to next season.