Cowboys FO may have fooled y'all / FO is spineless / FO needs to pull head out **mega-thread**

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Patience? How long does it take to build a roster? 10 years?

Jerry and Stephen's plan seems to be let's just build a decent roster so we don't totally stink but not take the steps to build a great, SB winning roster.

Here's another problem with looking "long term"........... when you finally fill some holes through the draft, you have then seen another position get weaker, and then you address that and develop it and by the time you reap those benefits, another position or area needs help and the cycle just continues. Case in point, look at the OL. Smith is showing signs of deteriorating with a bad back, Frederick is an unknown coming off an auto-immune disease. In a couple of years, we may have to revamp the OL again when we probably should have built a super bowl caliber roster to take advantage of what was the best OL in their prime.

Essentially, the Cowboys plan is based largely on luck. Build a decent, but not elite roster and hope you get lucky in a SB run.

In 2010, Garrett took the helm. That was an old team with bad cap. 2014, 2016, 2018 were all in the game.

They dug the team out of a huge cap hole. Rolled over to a new QB without a collapse. The team is young, cheap, and without dead money overhang.

There's luck and there's opportunity meeting preparation. They're building a value roster. Luck comes with guys outplaying their cost. I'd rather stick to building the value roster than getting desperate and going back to the "gotta make the window" thinking. That can set us back another decade.

Our playoff problems were largely coaching. The players we have could have gone farther.

Sydla

Reaction score
In 2010, Garrett took the helm. That was an old team with bad cap. 2014, 2016, 2018 were all in the game.

They dug the team out of a huge cap hole. Rolled over to a new QB without a collapse. The team is young, cheap, and without dead money overhang.

There's luck and there's opportunity meeting preparation. They're building a value roster. Luck comes with guys outplaying their cost. I'd rather stick to building the value roster than getting desperate and going back to the "gotta make the window" thinking. That can set us back another decade.

Our playoff problems were largely coaching. The players we have could have gone farther.

The roster still had flaws last year and they have the cap space and flexibility to address a couple of needs in FA and simply choose not to.

You can convince yourself they are great roster builders but the results on the field tell a different story.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Dallas Cowboys are one of the top NFL ratings draws annually. The franchise audience is usually comprised of Cowboys fans, opponents' fans AND people who really REALLY dislike Dallas. The networks will be pissed when a significant dip in overall ratings pops up out of the blue and remains depressed.

I doubt that will happen though.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen and Jerry Jones are still trying to prove to the world that they are "football" guys. So much so that they have resorted to trying to fool the rest of the football world.

The reason the Cowboys have be inactive during free agency the last 5 years or so is because it gives the illusion that they are being calculated, smart, conservative, rational and financially responsible when in actuality they just don't know how to build a team using the draft and free agency. They Jones's have figured that since they don't know how to evaluate players from other teams then they'll just pass on them and saying that the player price was too high which allows them not to make on a player and run the risk of being ridiculed.

The problem with this is that you never sign anyone of value.

The Cowboys have been one of the best drafting teams over the past several years. There have been multiple articles that analyzed the performance of teams in the draft.

The Cowboys won the NFCE while having a better salary cap situation than the other NFCE teams.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I never said the words “Jerry is a football guy!” I’m merely saying he’s accumulated more football savvy than many folks will acknowledge, that he’s not the root of all evil, and that we live in a gray world at the mercy of a myriad of variables. I’ve recounted his sins over and over and over, but my opinion is simply me “lying to myself”?
No but you did say

"and during that time he BECAME a football guy."

So yes maybe a small lie.

@kskboys don't retract it just read post #83 :lmao2:

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yes lets handycap the teams cap so we can't sign our own zeke, dak, coop, jaylon, jones (and whoever else i forgot)......etc.
I love how all the homers think that you cant sign one single free agent without handicapping the cap and that is the way to build a SB championship team.

Funny, the Pats dont seem to field a team of nothing but draft picks. In fact, two years ago on the first day of free agency they signed Stephen Gilmore, FREE AGENT!!!!

5 years 65 million, $31 guaranteed...………...starting CB

Whoaaaaaa…….….you mean SB championship teams actually have starters they signed in free agency. How is their cap not crippled:rolleyes:

ESisback

Reaction score
No but you did say

"and during that time he BECAME a football guy."

So yes maybe a small lie.

@kskboys don't retract it just read post #83 :lmao2:

I also said I’d like a new GM and HC, but because I don’t keep bleating “Jerry is Hitler” over and over, SOME goofballs wanna label me a Jerry supporter!

I’ll bet Jones knows more about the situation than you do! Could you be lying to yourself too?

ICP

Reaction score
Ratings will be the same, too many 'I'll buy whatever Jerry sells' Cowboy fans out there to make any difference

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Jerry/Stephen and Garrett are made for each other. Not an aggressive bone in their body. They lucked into Dak. And then wasted the window of his rookie contract. Had a chance to make a move this year. Wasted it. None of them will sniff a Super Bowl in their lifetimes.
They never drafted Dak to be our starting QB his rookie season. In fact everything that they had been doing was to benefit Romo and his game. And maybe were lucky that Dak was still there but we did have more visits with Dak than any other player before the draft. So we obviously knew he had talent.

Personally I thank you for the comic relief of over reacting during FA.

ESisback

Reaction score
Ratings will be the same, too many 'I'll buy whatever Jerry sells' Cowboy fans out there to make any difference

Well, that’s kinda balanced out by an army of entitled know-it-alls with their endless temper tantrums. It’s not that people buy whatever Jerry sells. After awhile, they just don’t wanna waste any more precious time crying about a game. Life’s too short!

Reactions: ICP

ICP

Reaction score
Well, that’s kinda balanced out by an army of entitled know-it-alls with their endless temper tantrums. It’s not that people buy whatever Jerry sells. After awhile, they just don’t wanna waste any more precious time crying about a game. Life’s too short!
Lol, I wish I was.in the 'Life's too short category, I've seen Dallas win 4 Super Bowls and have still wasted the last 23 years waiting for any kind of significant success since

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Ratings will stay the same and the stadium will be just as full as ever. Too many homer lemmings eat up what this trash front office dishes out.

Just look at the threads and see how many are scared to death to even sign a single free agent because it will "cripple our cap for years".

Jerry and his idiot boy love fans like this.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Ratings will stay the same and the stadium will be just as full as ever. Too many homer lemmings eat up what this trash front office dishes out.

Just look at the threads and see how many are scared to death to even sign a single free agent because it will "cripple our cap for years".

Jerry and his idiot boy love fans like this.
It’s called brainwashing. Throughout history it’s worked. Jerry is the ultimate sales person. Makes it sound really good that the average fan gets it instilled in his head.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No one is mad Beasley walked. But you have no DL to speak of right now and no conceivable plan to improve.
We went into a number of seasons with much less on the dline. And that's assuming that Lawrence isn't here.

2014 was a horror show on the dline, and we went 12-4.

And whatever the dline is, it has Lee, LVE, and Jaylon behind them. We've had it much worse.