Cowboys FO may have fooled y'all / FO is spineless / FO needs to pull head out **mega-thread**

NotForLong

Reaction score
But the window was supposed to be closing with Romo’s career winding down, wasn’t it?

No it wasn't. If you judge the Cowboys simply on Romo, then you are mistaken. We were a team on the rise with a veteran QB (top 5) Our O-line was dominate and young. Our Wr was dominate and Young TE was highly effective. Slot WR was a matchup nightmare. We lucked into the 4th overall pick dispite the Talent we possessed. We took what has turned out to be the strongest workhorse in the game. We were a bonafide Championship team on the RISE. We even had a highly competitive Rookie QB who got us through the "Freak" Injury of our Mega Star QB.

Then tweedle Dee and tweedle dum got cute and did the math.

They figured that since the team was young IT WOULD MAKE SENSE TO GO WITH A YOUNG QB (JUST THE BEGINNING AND THAT HE WAS GONNA CONTINUE TO IMPROVE)

Well 3 yrs later and the "Next Coming" is Nothning more then a flawed Bus Driver and this team that once was promising will never win anything.

Now people are clamoring to give this Fraud QB 30 million in spite just to somehow prove what he isnt. A star QB. .
No he's a product of talent around him

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I still laugh when fans are like "its going to be different under Stephen" i laugh so hard.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How could anyone be surprised at this point by Jerry and his sidekick son? What pressure do they have to work harder to put a championship team together? Who is holding them accountable for the last two plus decades? Why should the Jones Cartel feel any need to work harder?

I think the root of the problem is that we aren't comfortable wheeling and dealing. We don't have the connections or confidence. Its just easier and less risky signing the players we know.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I also said I’d like a new GM and HC, but because I don’t keep bleating “Jerry is Hitler” over and over, SOME goofballs wanna label me a Jerry supporter!

I’ll bet Jones knows more about the situation than you do! Could you be lying to yourself too?
It's how I sleep at nigjt

Reaction score
We needed another pathetic self loathing thread. So this is great.

It’s the first week of FA. I could set my clock to it. If my clock could make whining noises.

Except that this year 1) we have cap space 2) had our FO tell us “we’re not going to be conservative” in FA 3) have a legit shot at advancing far in the playoffs, but are facing a brutal first place schedule 4) have a decade-long need at S 5) have the deepest FA S market, perhaps ever 6) have a legit All Pro S who desperately wants to play for us 7) watch our division rivals trade and sign for pro bowl players (Collins, Zeitler, Malik Jackson) 8) yet our FO continues to follow its same conservative gameplan and make no bold moves to use FA to get better, and 9) has made no viable offers to keep good players like Beasley, or great players like D Law, 10) yet will continue to throw $5m at past their prime, progress stoppers like Lee and Witten. But other than that, you’re right, I’m being pathetic and self loathing for expecting more from our FO in FA this year.

Last edited:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
After we sign Earl to less than 14 mil everyone will still complain.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No it wasn't. If you judge the Cowboys simply on Romo, then you are mistaken. We were a team on the rise with a veteran QB (top 5) Our O-line was dominate and young. Our Wr was dominate and Young TE was highly effective. Slot WR was a matchup nightmare. We lucked into the 4th overall pick dispite the Talent we possessed. We took what has turned out to be the strongest workhorse in the game. We were a bonafide Championship team on the RISE. We even had a highly competitive Rookie QB who got us through the "Freak" Injury of our Mega Star QB.

Then tweedle Dee and tweedle dum got cute and did the math.

They figured that since the team was young IT WOULD MAKE SENSE TO GO WITH A YOUNG QB (JUST THE BEGINNING AND THAT HE WAS GONNA CONTINUE TO IMPROVE)

Well 3 yrs later and the "Next Coming" is Nothning more then a flawed Bus Driver and this team that once was promising will never win anything.

Now people are clamoring to give this Fraud QB 30 million in spite just to somehow prove what he isnt. A star QB. .
No he's a product of talent around him
I agree that people shouldn’t have judged a window closing just on Romo, but l a lot did, just as they are claiming there is only a small window now. I dont personally believe windows are a certainty. If a team drafts well that doesn’t have to be the case.

I also agree Dak isn’t the QB Romo was in his prime, however it’s plain false to act as if the team has backtracked. The team is as competitive now as it was under Romo. Had Zeke not had his issues in 2017 there is a strong chance we would have been in the playoffs the last 3 straight years.

As for the team sticking with Dak, I’m not going to argue that was the best move, nor that going back to Romo would have been. I will say I don’t think a person is fair minded if they don’t at least see there was a reason for it. Romo had suffered injuries that would cause him to miss significant time 3 of the last 4 times he played, and the team was in a sustained wininning week with Dak behind center. You may think the team still should have gone back to Romo, but if you are fair you should at least see there was a reasonable argument for staying with Dak.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Maybe Stephen

But give me a damn break....saying Jerry freaking Jones doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.

For years and years Jerry was accused of being the risk taking wildcatter.
The guy who made bold and sometimes stupidly aggressive moves. Always making the splash
One of the true wildcatters among owners and made his fortune taking risks that many on this board would piss their pants over.

Jones has taken big risks his whole life.

Not an aggressive bone in his body?
Get the helloutta here.

Now Stephen and Jason? Yes, the both seem more risk averse
Bruh, they don't make a pill for that one.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys have been one of the best drafting teams over the past several years. There have been multiple articles that analyzed the performance of teams in the draft.

The Cowboys won the NFCE while having a better salary cap situation than the other NFCE teams.

Division champions t-shirts and draft trophies. Nice to see ol' Jerry keeps adding to the legacy of the Dallas Cowboys.

Can't wait for the next Forbes article about winning the revenue title again.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
After we sign Earl to less than 14 mil everyone will still complain.

Meh...some of us haven't spent the last year and a half obsessing over acquiring "ET" at any price. If it happens I hope he's able to stay healthy and play close to the level he did in the past.

Time will tell.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except that this year 1) we have cap space 2) had our FO tell us “we’re not going to be conservative” in FA 3) have a legit shot at advancing far in the playoffs, but are facing a brutal first place schedule 4) have a decade-long need at S 5) have the deepest FA S market, perhaps ever 6) have a legit All Pro S who desperately wants to play for us 7) watch our division rivals trade and sign for pro bowl players (Collins, Zeitler, Malik Jackson) 8) yet our FO continues to follow its same conservative gameplan and make no bold moves to use FA to get better, and 9) has made no viable offers to keep good players like Beasley, or great players like D Law, 10) yet will continue to throw $5m at past their prime, progress stoppers like Lee and Witten. But other than that, you’re right, I’m being pathetic and self loathing for expecting more from our FO in FA this year.

We have all of those things because of the way we’ve approached FA in recent years. And that All Pro Safety is still out there, in a diminshed Safety market.

Lee and Witten were both great deals for the team.

It’s day three of FA. Posting that you’re convinced the sky is falling already is a pathetic thing to post in my opinion. We’re just getting to the part where Dallas actually participates.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Stephen and Jerry Jones are still trying to prove to the world that they are "football" guys. So much so that they have resorted to trying to fool the rest of the football world.

The reason the Cowboys have be inactive during free agency the last 5 years or so is because it gives the illusion that they are being calculated, smart, conservative, rational and financially responsible when in actuality they just don't know how to build a team using the draft and free agency. They Jones's have figured that since they don't know how to evaluate players from other teams then they'll just pass on them and saying that the player price was too high which allows them not to make on a player and run the risk of being ridiculed.

The problem with this is that you never sign anyone of value.
I don’t think they’re fooling very many.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Meh...some of us haven't spent the last year and a half obsessing over acquiring "ET" at any price. If it happens I hope he's able to stay healthy and play close to the level he did in the past.

Time will tell.
And thats all this Cowboys FA frenzy is about. Earl Thomas. Like we are one player away. I’m not sure who’s more foolish. Our ownership or some of our fans:)

Reaction score
We have all of those things because of the way we’ve approached FA in recent years. And that All Pro Safety is still out there, in a diminshed Safety market.

Lee and Witten were both great deals for the team.

It’s day three of FA. Posting that you’re convinced the sky is falling already is a pathetic thing to post in my opinion. We’re just getting to the part where Dallas actually participates.

And the way we’ve approached FA is wrong. You have to take a few home run swings. That is why PHI won the super bowl, LAR were in the super bowl, and CLE will be there sooner than us. So your apathy is equally pathetic to me.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the way we’ve approached FA is wrong. You have to take a few home run swings. That is why PHI won the super bowl, LAR were in the super bowl, and CLE will be there sooner than us. So your apathy is equally pathetic to me.

Except I’m not saying don’t take he swings, so it isn’t apathy. I’m saying keep it together, it’s day three of FA and the player we want most is still available.

tm1119

Reaction score
Except I’m not saying don’t take he swings, so it isn’t apathy. I’m saying keep it together, it’s day three of FA and the player we want most is still available.

All I read from posts like this: “Don’t worry guys, everything is ok, The Cowboys know what they are doing. 20+ years of not making a conference championship game is perfectly fine.”

Your loser mantality and acceptance of mediocrity is pathetic. Wanting the team to improve and actually be a SB contender for the 1st time in my adult life isn’t pathetic. Accepting anything else is.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I read from posts like this: “Don’t worry guys, everything is ok, The Cowboys know what they are doing. 20+ years of not making a conference championship game is perfectly fine.”

Your loser mantality and acceptance of mediocrity is pathetic. Wanting the team to improve and actually be a SB contender for the 1st time in my adult life isn’t pathetic. Accepting anything else is.

I’m not responsible for what you misread into internet posts. Thankfully.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I still laugh when fans are like "its going to be different under Stephen" i laugh so hard.

Things are different under Stephen. JJ threw money at big name free agents....Stephen doesn't. JJ paid his aging players.....Stephen doesn't. Now the question is which approach is/was better? Maybe they are both idiots (I could agree with this) but I can't agree that they are the same. So far Stephen's frugalness hasn't added talent this year but has lost some. So we HAVE to replace those in the draft. He must be gambling on being able to add young players to refill. This has cleaned up the salary cap so we don't have a ton of dead money on it.

The challenge is we need to get over the hump. If we were a team that won every year then this might work better. The question is how do we get over the hump?