Twitter: Cowboys Franchise Tag Schultz

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not a Dak hater. I'm a fan of his but I'm also a realist. Facts are his mental processes of reading defenses has been off since the Denver game.

The Broncos gave the blueprint: use your front 4 to stop the run, drop 7, disguise coverages. Dak's been mid ever since, culminating in a home playoff loss.

Until he overcomes how D coordinators are scheming against him, the Cowboys won't ever go far while he is our QB.
disagree..dak was not responsble for that playoff loss lets stop the bs already!

he didnt commit 14 penalties and provide no run threat and call plays or not set the ball etc etc there wee man issues DOWBN THE stretch like penalty's and poor play poor coaching was NOT a Blueprint for dak was a Blueprint on making our OL look like chumps rushing 4, not needing to blitz ,and no real run game..defense allowed 9ers to score on their 4 drives to start the game not one punt until the half i mean sire all on dak,..lmao..

go preach that nonsense somewhere else, dak wasn't perfect but teams win championships not just good qb..ask the teams with the byes both one and done best qbs in the league all out early

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Look up and let me know what Schultz stats are on YAC compared to other TE in the NFL and the Cowboy’s WR. I think you may be surprised or, more accurately, poorly informed.

Hey buddy, take a look here: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-te.php . As you can see, his YAC per reception is significantly below the elite guys (Kittle , Kelce, etc) and falls into the extremely average bin.

I'm not trying to rag on the player, I think he's pretty good, but in all reality he is pretty much a JAG. He has no standout qualities and I almost guarantee that the front office will significantly overpay him.

I think you might be the one who is uninformed ;)

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Another mistake. No one was a bigger proponent of Schultz when he was draft eligible than I was, and I think he's a good player. But, he's good enough to let go and not concern yourself too much over losing. At an 11M per season salary? Huge mistake, but not surprising given the front office.

It's sheer Panic fire,... they obviously do not feel confident in their genius personnel guy McClay to conjure up
a regarded TE prospect (in what is supposed to be a good TE class)

and Schultz will never be any better than what he is now .. a B-tier TE with limited separation skills
and whether Franchise or Long Term Dalton seems like a brick wall dead end move.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yep franchise or sign another TE that can not block and is average at best

Let's say for the moment he is "average at best". He's only had 2 seasons where he was a featured target. Most receivers, which a tight end is in the general sense, take a year or tow to get acclimated to the NFL and begin to produce.

He improved from his first full year to his second, very possible he improves even more this year, especially if Cooper is let go and Gallup is still recovering from his acl tear early in the year he'll be even more of a target.
If we compare him to say, Kelce, based on targets, Schultz would have had more catches and more tds than Kelce.

My point is Schultz is a very good tight end. If the Cowboys didn't offer the franchise tag their is likely no way they could match an offer from some other team, and he'd be gone, leaving us with a possibly gimpy Jarwin and some undrafted players, and with the need for OL and DL improvements, you'll have to hope to strike gold in the third or later round. Might do it, might not.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Let's say for the moment he is "average at best". He's only had 2 seasons where he was a featured target. Most receivers, which a tight end is in the general sense, take a year or tow to get acclimated to the NFL and begin to produce.

He improved from his first full year to his second, very possible he improves even more this year, especially if Cooper is let go and Gallup is still recovering from his acl tear early in the year he'll be even more of a target.
If we compare him to say, Kelce, based on targets, Schultz would have had more catches and more tds than Kelce.

My point is Schultz is a very good tight end. If the Cowboys didn't offer the franchise tag their is likely no way they could match an offer from some other team, and he'd be gone, leaving us with a possibly gimpy Jarwin and some undrafted players, and with the need for OL and DL improvements, you'll have to hope to strike gold in the third or later round. Might do it, might not.

Jarwin may never play again. And without Schultz the Cowboys would be left with Sean McKeon and Ian Bunting.

The same people that are complaining franchising Schultz is a mistake would be the same ones calling the Cowboys cheapskates once he signed someplace else. Guaranteed.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jarwin may never play again. And without Schultz the Cowboys would be left with Sean McKeon and Ian Bunting.

The same people that are complaining franchising Schultz is a mistake would be the same ones calling the Cowboys cheapskates once he signed someplace else. Guaranteed.

Especially when they re-signed Sprinkle for 50 cents to be the starting tight end.

I have no problem with tagging him and then trying to get his eventual replacement in this draft. If we do, then he's off the books completely next year instead of adding to the dead money with a multi-year deal. If we don't draft a tight end at least in the first four rounds, then this was a bad decision because it means we'll either have to pay Schultz or franchise him again next year because we're in the same boat.

I do feel like the Cowboys were hoping last year to see if Jarwin was basically on the same level as Schultz since he was already under contract for this year, but with Jarwin's health issues, they felt they had to retain Schultz.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Probably a smart move by GB. Rodgers could have gotten the same contract from probably 2-3-4 teams, so they had to pay him. What else could they do? Start Love?
:laugh:

And the $50 mil is huge now, but the cap is probably going way up in 2023, to who knows how much? At Rodgers' age, he's probably not going to play 4 more years, if he wins another SB he's out of GB after that, I believe. Packers will have to rebuild anyway in that case, so they'll suffer through another Makowski era and start over....

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Not sure why all the hate on this. It’s a one year loaner, no future cap penalty, and maybe even negotiated for less long-term. The backup who can start is looking at possible forced retirement. Teams are holding tight to their TEs, look at the other tagged players. It’s a gamble to think we will find an impact replacement in the draft, and I’d rather they spend higher picks on both lines, esp if we don’t keep Tank and Gregory.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Lol yeah. He’s a check down at 10 yards a catch and 7 TDs. Great call. I personally wish we would check down more
I see the Jerry Jones fan club has arrived ....... Anyone who thinks Shultz is an even top 10 TE is watching through Jerry Jones whiskey smeared glasses.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Another mistake. No one was a bigger proponent of Schultz when he was draft eligible than I was, and I think he's a good player. But, he's good enough to let go and not concern yourself too much over losing. At an 11M per season salary? Huge mistake, but not surprising given the front office.

He's no Kelce but statistically he was one of the most productive TE last season. If he does that again he will have earned that salary. Given his age that is a high likelihood.

If he doesn't then it is a one year deal. He goes on his way.

And the market is what it is. Njoku, a less productive player, and Gisecki, a similarly productive player, were both already franchised. There is no one else on that level. Schultz was already going to be one of the top FA available.

If we let him walk we get a comp pick next year and a good one but also a huge hole to fill on a team with plenty of holes down the spine of the defense and OL already.

Gregory Gallup and Kearse are the question marks now.