Twitter: Cowboys Free Agency Spending Ranking last 5 years

cern

Reaction score
you can only spend what you have. we had 17 million. Lawrence now has the 17 million. until we get more thru reworking contracts and releasing players, we can't play for awhile.

kskboys

Reaction score
While I agree, rather take shots, than get players that are practice squad worthy for a already mediocre team.
Oh, absolutely. But what's killing us is evaluating poorly, esp as in the Brandon Carr signing. Dude simply does not have the physical skills to be a #1 Cb.

Chasing Pacman when Justin Smith was available.

We are quite simply doing a very poor job of understanding a player's physical skills and shortcoming.

Poe and Logan both signed a 1 yr deal last off for $8 mil. Didn't we spend about that on Carroll, Peae, and Bell?

Sydla

Reaction score
How dare the Cowboys not overspend in free agency. That’s the going fad.

Well technically, the Cowboys still overspend in FA. They overspend on crap players that they have to cut before they even earn their keep.

Paying Nolan Carroll what they did only to cut him 7 months later would be a clear overspend.

So not only do they suck at evaluating pro personnel in FA, they then overspend on the crap players they do acquire.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well technically, the Cowboys still overspend in FA. They overspend on crap players that they have to cut before they even earn their keep.

Paying Nolan Carroll what they did only to cut him 7 months later would be a clear overspend.

So not only do they suck at evaluating pro personnel in FA, they then overspend on the crap players they do acquire.
Yup. Bruce Thornton, Carroll, Bell, all overpaid.

coult44

Reaction score
Does the list include our own FAs?

It does not.

Let's make a dumb list that penalizes a team for getting a great player in the draft and then being able to lock them up long term.

Smith, Frederick, Lawrence ... Don't matter. We only want to recognize teams who give big contracts to guys drafted by other teams

If not signing qualify, first tier free agents, and keeping our own guys was a good plan I'd be all for it. The bottom line is that it produces nothing!!!How many championships have we competed for by using this strategy?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You and your cronies are so consumed by your hate that you can't see the forest because of the trees.

Proof

Reaction score
Free agency kind of uh, means that. "Free".

Anyone can pay people that are already under their own roof that can't negotiate with anyone else.

Lawrence was franchised. It did not exactly take slick negotiation from our braintrust to make him sign on the dotted line.

Most of the time when teams sign their own it is doing so before other teams get a chance to bid on them.

Retention is different from talent acquisition .

But please. Continue to whine and complain that we just don't get the credit you feel is deserved.

Lol if simply retaining our own led to any measures success this team would be showered with accolades. It doesn’t and hasn’t. So the fact they’re poor on supplementing their admittedly solid drafting / retaining is actually magnified.

So frustrating and I really can’t understabd why anyone would want to rush to the support of these bumbling boobs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Our FA strategy is generally for veteran free agents to be bridge players until drafted players pan out. If they're cut when the drafted players pan out, they fulfilled their purpose.

Your car insurance is not a waste if you fail to wreck your car. It's intended to mitigate risk. It does that even when you don't crash.

Paying too much for a bad player is always bad. But that is one of the inherent risks of free agency, and why there is less risk in signing your own player than an outside free agent. You don't know the outside free agent players as well as your own.

Cebrin

Reaction score
This is a flawed narrative. When you haven't won anything significant in 20+ years, it's hard to bring in talented free agents without an absurd amount of coin. This is why Dallas Cowboys fans are hated around the globe; not for the prestige and championships, but the delusional perspective that we are anything better today, than our beloved Dallas Mavericks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I wouldn't count before free agency as free agency.

Free agency is a time period.
:huh:

Each player retained is 1 less spot to fill. If a team could draft perfectly, they would never sign free agents.

If the idea is to see which teams have the best roster management, then just looking at free agents signed is a poor way to compare.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Each player retained is 1 less spot to fill. If a team could draft perfectly, they would never sign free agents.

If the idea is to see which teams have the best roster management, then just looking at free agents signed is a poor way to compare.

I agree, but the point of the conversation seemed to me to be how well we are doing in free agency specifically, not roster management generally.

Noclaf

Reaction score
Lol if simply retaining our own led to any measures success this team would be showered with accolades. It doesn’t and hasn’t. So the fact they’re poor on supplementing their admittedly solid drafting / retaining is actually magnified.

So frustrating and I really can’t understabd why anyone would want to rush to the support of these bumbling boobs.

1000% right

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, but the point of the conversation seemed to me to be how well we are doing in free agency specifically, not roster management generally.
I don't see how you can separate them.

Just looking at free agents, the Skins were big winners for several years.

I doubt if the Patriots ever appear to win free agency.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Everything is related to everything else, but we separate them as best we can for analysis.

I haven't been following the Pats or Skins so much, but the Pats have always seemed quite good at extracting net value out of free agency, while the Skins pay tons and get little in return. Pats win, Skins lose.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Brandon Carr, Romo's can kicking extensions, TWill, Dez, Thornton, and I'm not sure how many contracts we're still paying on of players who aren't here. Overall, just poor cap mgmt.

for jerry to be a weathy businessman he seems to suck at running a team. Just hire a GM and do what u do best. "Market the cowboys".

Proof

Reaction score

there's literally no reason to separate them. either your whole approach works, or it fails. handing out merit badges does nothing

Proof

Reaction score
Our FA strategy is generally for veteran free agents to be bridge players until drafted players pan out. If they're cut when the drafted players pan out, they fulfilled their purpose.

Your car insurance is not a waste if you fail to wreck your car. It's intended to mitigate risk. It does that even when you don't crash.

Paying too much for a bad player is always bad. But that is one of the inherent risks of free agency, and why there is less risk in signing your own player than an outside free agent. You don't know the outside free agent players as well as your own.

this one of the worst analogy's i've ever heard. free agency isn't insurance, it's aftermarket parts. and the goal isn't to not wreck, it's to have the best car you can. but yes, the cowboys approach is to not wreck, and you're the type of fan that is satisfied by not wrecking. don't paint us with that brush, please.