Cowboys Got Great Draft Value This Year

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Lol. Ok. If you say so.
Lol ok. Ceedee shouldn't have been there, diggs shouldn't have been there anae definitely shouldn't have been there. even biadasz shouldn't have been there. Lets keep it G. Yes we turned the cards in and did the right thing but the other teams helped us out tremendously

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe. He doesn’t have much speed which takes him out of contention for the biggest steal so far.
Almost identical height, weight, forty and ten yard times to the Eagles starting DE Derek Barnett.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference between the previous two drafts and this one?? Why such a big discrepancy between them, light the brass really cared about doing it's homework and it paid off. We have the same people , wonder if Mike McCarthy had some influence on our picks??
No one is gonna like this opinion but they got incredibly lucky in the first 2 rounds. But if you follow your board.....you are allowed to get lucky.

Creeper

Reaction score
Don't laugh, but I have a feeling DiNucci is going to play much better than his 7th round status. There is something about how he plays that gives me a good feeling. Watch him throw the ball downfield. It's effortless - and accurate. Its like the game slows down for him. Did the Cowboys find a diamond in the manure pile?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No one is gonna like this opinion but they got incredibly lucky in the first 2 rounds. But if you follow your board.....you are allowed to get lucky.
Definitely, luck was at a premium. On the flip side, I think we've had the opportunity to count ourselves lucky in past years, but chosen to turn the horseshoe upside down. (Moss, Watt, etc.)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not all teams are prepared to take advantage of "luck".

Before McClay was running the draft, the Cowboys probably wouldn't have taken a WR. They likely would have taken a CB or pass rusher this year at #17.

In the 2nd round they probably had Diggs rated as a 1st but they stayed patient and didn't trade up.

McClay preferred TJ Watt over Taco but Marinelli convinced them to draft Taco. It always felt as if Marinelli did the equivalent of fans watching highlight videos of player and then become infatuated with that player.

One of McCarthy's first statements was "Get good players and we'll adjust the schemes to fit the players".

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don't laugh, but I have a feeling DiNucci is going to play much better than his 7th round status. There is something about how he plays that gives me a good feeling. Watch him throw the ball downfield. It's effortless - and accurate. Its like the game slows down for him. Did the Cowboys find a diamond in the manure pile?
Very quick release, and good elusiveness in the pocket, from what I saw.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah Cowboys got some great value through most of this draft. Sans maybe Robinson. I thought there were some higher rated players there at the time, but he definitely has talent and like hearing he plays the ball.
Brugler had Robinson rated at #98 overall. The Cowboys drafted him at #123.

Verdict

Reaction score
Almost identical height, weight, forty and ten yard times to the Eagles starting DE Derek Barnett.

I realize that 40 time is not the end all, be all for a DE. But if a DE doesn’t have a lot of speed (or superior short area quickness) then they better be flawless in their technique or just kick your *** with their bull rush.

Some guys can get it done. Others can’t. I’m more hopeful about Anae than I was about Taco. I also like the draft slot he went in. That’s a reasonable risk vs reward spot to take him.

Verdict

Reaction score
Definitely, luck was at a premium. On the flip side, I think we've had the opportunity to count ourselves lucky in past years, but chosen to turn the horseshoe upside down. (Moss, Watt, etc.)

That’s for sure. In years past we would have forced the Chaisson pick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He definitely leans towards the big schools but they did take a player from Tulsa and one from James Madison.
He does but you remember there was a time when we would take those guys in the 3rd or 4th round. JJ Wilcox, Kwasi, BW Webb..........

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is true. And like I said above, in order to get lucky you have to put yourself in position to do so. Luck is a big part of the draft.

Ravens are lucky every year. But they follow their board it seems. They go with BPA on defense it seems lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not all teams are prepared to take advantage of "luck".

Before McClay was running the draft, the Cowboys probably wouldn't have taken a WR. They likely would have taken a CB or pass rusher this year at #17.

In the 2nd round they probably had Diggs rated as a 1st but they stayed patient and didn't trade up.

McClay preferred TJ Watt over Taco but Marinelli convinced them to draft Taco. It always felt as if Marinelli did the equivalent of fans watching highlight videos of player and then become infatuated with that player.

One of McCarthy's first statements was "Get good players and we'll adjust the schemes to fit the players".
Understood. Not disagreeing with that.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

Well when you get lucky like that, you need to have the common sense to take advantage of it, which this year they did. But in the past, they have gotten lucky like that yet passed up the opportunity. :banghead:
I'm just happy we did so well in this year's draft. :clap: