Cowboys have 12 players in the top 10 of at PFF-graded position rankings the most of any team in the NFL

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This isn’t a knock on Dlaw. I know he is a great run defender.

He still isn’t a better player than:

Nick Bosa
Myles Garrett
TJ Watt
Micah parsons
Maxx Crosby
Danielle Hunter

Again. Not a knock on Dlaw. But he isn’t the 4th best edge defender in the NFL. Yes he is fantastic against the run. But their pass rush ability should be weighted higher than their run defense.
Why? Because you say so? No offense but that argument holds no water with me. These guys are all great players but again pass rush is only a little more than half the game. Lawrence's overall game needs to be appreciated. The other thing that bears nothing that those other guys are their team's clear #1 pass rusher. Tank is our #2. Meaning when they're scheming and moving guys around to create mismatches and take care of the other teams' weak link in pass protection they're doing it for those guys.. And the Cowboys are doing it for Micah not Tank. I don't know if Lawrence is the 4th best or the 14th best.. The truth is it doesn't matter to me. When I watch him I can see he's playing well. I don't need any rankings to tell me that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
a few notes and why context matters.

Of those 12 players:
1 is in a group with 10 guys TOTAL. So all FB are top 10. He has only played 69 snaps on offense. But he has played well and maybe we play him more? Except we cant run block and playing a FB to pass is kinda weird???
1 is Tyron who missed multiple games. And ranks 63rd out of 77 OTs in snaps played.
1 is Marq Bell who was not a starter to open season. His snaps are at 67th most of 81 ILB.

So yea it looks good on paper but the team hasn't been that talented on game day.
And there is a REST of the story piece here.

When Tyron was out???
Edoga is 49th out of 77 OTs.
And Steele??? 73rd out of 77. good gracious that is bad. grade in the 45 area. Thats not NFL caliber.

TE after Ferguson? Scoon is 67 out of 70 TE.

RB? TP is 38th. No other back has enough snaps to qualify.

CCBoy

Reaction score
a few notes and why context matters.

Of those 12 players:
1 is in a group with 10 guys TOTAL. So all FB are top 10. He has only played 69 snaps on offense. But he has played well and maybe we play him more? Except we cant run block and playing a FB to pass is kinda weird???
1 is Tyron who missed multiple games. And ranks 63rd out of 77 OTs in snaps played.
1 is Marq Bell who was not a starter to open season. His snaps are at 67th most of 81 ILB.

So yea it looks good on paper but the team hasn't been that talented on game day.
And there is a REST of the story piece here.

When Tyron was out???
Edoga is 49th out of 77 OTs.
And Steele??? 73rd out of 77. good gracious that is bad. grade in the 45 area. Thats not NFL caliber.

TE after Ferguson? Scoon is 67 out of 70 TE.

RB? TP is 38th. No other back has enough snaps to qualify.
Thank you Sir. I feel that Steele has a two week window to change his status. Max. He can, but he better or backup he'll end up being.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Martin isn’t having a typical year. He is struggling with ankle and groin problems. Still a top 10 G but he’s not having a pro bowl type year.
He is struggling more than ever and he hasn't been dominant in several years. I'm not sure he's top 10 this year thus far. Maybe he'll get healthier.

fivetwos

Reaction score
almost like Jerry is paying PFF to say his team is good
Don’t know if I’d go there with it, but they just don’t get breaks. Not the big ones. Being good is not enough.

Whether it has something to do with Jerry saying before SB30…”if I get this one, I’ll never ask for another” has anything to do with it, I’m not entirely sure…..but it enters my mind here and there.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Is that something you are seeing happen very often?
I have seen it four times this year.. Once against the Jets, once against the 49ers, once against the Rams by you know who and once against the Eagles. That's more than I can remember his entire career combined up to now. I think he has been charged with something like 13 pressures allowed which I also believe is already a career high. He has played with better people beside him in the past but he has also played with worse! I think the lack of camp is biting him plain and simple. That and the injury he's been battling.. which I believe also is a product of the no camp.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Why? Because you say so? No offense but that argument holds no water with me. These guys are all great players but again pass rush is only a little more than half the game. Lawrence's overall game needs to be appreciated. The other thing that bears nothing that those other guys are their team's clear #1 pass rusher. Tank is our #2. Meaning when they're scheming and moving guys around to create mismatches and take care of the other teams' weak link in pass protection they're doing it for those guys.. And the Cowboys are doing it for Micah not Tank. I don't know if Lawrence is the 4th best or the 14th best.. The truth is it doesn't matter to me. When I watch him I can see he's playing well. I don't need any rankings to tell me that.
Not just because I say so. Because it’s the truth. You’re going off because PFF says so. Because it makes you feel good apparently.

Also, I never attacked Lawrence’s overall performance I just said he isn’t the 4th best edge in the league. He isn’t.

Your argument about moving around, etc. the guys listed also face a lot more double teams because they’re the #1. You failed to mention that because it didn’t suit your argument.

erod

Reaction score
BS just cause they dont align with youre narrative doesnt mean they are irrelevent. They may not always tell the whole story but they are not irrelevent.
They're COMPLETELY irrelevant and always have been. Unless you're a fantasy football dork.

LysleE

Reaction score
And yet, with all this talent, the Cowboys haven’t won a NFC championship; in fact, they can’t even win a Wildcard. Doesn’t really reflect positively on the coaches, the players, or the organization as a whole.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Greg Cosell on the Herd today, after reviewing the tape, said both Tyron and Tyler dominated in the Egirl game.
They did, that doesnt help much when we block no one from center to RT....TP got ran down several times from behind when going left..and I'm sure Dak is still glancing to his right every half second.

CWR

Reaction score
Awesome, when I see how great Bell has done, it makes me think of Overshown. Based on an admittedly small sample size, he looked like he was gonna win that job hands down, and have a huge impact.

CWR

Reaction score
Greg Cosell on the Herd today, after reviewing the tape, said both Tyron and Tyler dominated in the Egirl game.

You would think we'd take advantage and have some strong runs on the left.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If only it was 6-man football we might never lose.
My uncle started out in Texas as a 6-man football coach and later coached at La Porte when they competed for a 4 A Championship when 4 was the highest level.