Cowboys have 22 Free Agents; 17 unrestricted

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Only one guy I would care about resigning on that entire list...........Dak.

Aldon for cheap or goodbye, and I would have no problem signing Bell again.
Agree with Aldon and Bell.
Ladouceur , you dont want error free LS back?
Noah, on the cheap I would keep him around, he knows his roll and has a more solid role on this team doing what the others wont do, dirty work.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Seems most here are of the "get rid of all but 3 or 4 of them" opinion.

So, if you do that, where do you get 18-19 new players? And if you let any of the current crop go, their replacement needs to be better, right? Otherwise what's the point? You strive to improve your team, not make 18-19 lateral moves.

Cowboys do not have a combination of draft picks and an available pool of free agents to fill 18-19 roster spots with improved players. That's a third of your entire team. Remember the pool of available free agents isn't just sitting there waiting for a call from the Cowboys or they will be applying to work at Walmart, if they're any good there's 31 other teams than also have free agent needs and wants.

Get rid of age, like Lee and T. Crawford. Get rid of guys that haven't been able to break into the lineup, like Noah Brown. Let Dalton go, as we saw this year, he can win a few games against weaker teams, but he's not a take-the-team-to-the-SB player. Gilbert didn't look bad, some time with the team in the off season and he'll improve. Get rid of warm bodies like M. Turner, he's never going to be a top receiver, you can get "warm bodies" easily, besides, they'll likely play sparingly, if at all.

That's 5 easy moves. Take a hard look at Woods and A. Smith, are they worth keeping long term? Have to be, considering Smith's long layoff he may not be around that long.

But dumping 1/3 of your team is too drastic, most players across the league are average to just above, you'll just get more of the same in all likelihood...

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Row one, Keeper. Dak
Row two, Cedric Wilson
Row three, Zippo. Anybody else ready for the NEW Dallas Cowboys 2021???

lwehlers

Reaction score
What a great year. That is quite a list of mostly bums. I bring back Smith and Lewis. That’s it. Dak is a whole other discussion. Maybe Erving.
as stephen jones always says we like our guys. so i could see half of these bums signed back.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
as stephen jones always says we like our guys. so i could see half of these bums signed back.

Agreed. Maybe I would add Goodwin too. He is a good bench guy. I really like the idea of keeping Lewis. I think he, Diggs and Brown would be a decent CB core. This way they can focus the draft on DT, LB and S. This defense must be rebuilt right up the middle.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Xavier Woods is such a disappointment man....

He looked pretty good early on, and every year people were projecting him to take a big step and it just never happened. #GoodRiddance
Xavier Woods to me is exactly what he always was originally- a 6th round draft pick. Very, very few safeties drafted in round 6 ever amount to a long time starter with a big second contract. He’s got spot starter and backup talent. Like most 6th rounders. Expecting him to ever be anything more has always been a stretch. There’s a reason guys like that are still available in round 6.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cowboys have 22 scheduled free agents, including 17 unrestricted

Er-LtLtXUAAHqiJ

Prescott -- will either sign a long-term deal or be tagged again.
Dalton -- will leave for a shot at starting.
Awuzie -- will get a better deal than anything we'd offer.
Woods -- will get a better deal than anything we'd offer.
Lewis -- might be re-signed for depth if cheap enough.
Goodwin -- most likely re-signs for cheap.
Thomas -- most likely re-signs for cheap.
Lee -- probably retires or goes elsewhere, but without a third starting LB, might get one more year.
Smith -- could be re-signed if he's not asking for much.
March -- most likely re-signs for cheap.
Looney -- most likely re-signs for fairly cheap.
Erving -- most likely re-signs for fairly cheap.
Bell -- could be re-signed; depends on what we think of McKeon.
Brown -- might be re-signed for fairly cheap.
Ladouceur -- only definite re-signing other than Prescott.
Ankou -- could be re-signed if cheap.
Crawford -- allowed to move on or retire.

So I've got two definites, four most likelys and six mights among the unrestricted. I also don't see much of a market for the restricteds if we offer them any kind of tender.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I was thinking about an extension for Wilson on the cheap too.

Core special teamer who showed up a little on offense. See if he'll bite on a cheap extension. If so, we have an incentive to develop him more. If not, not.

I wish we'd generally do this more on the borderline starter guys moving into their contract year. Barry Church, Jeff Heath. Think we did this with Beasley too.

Most underrated WR4 in the NFL, i love that kid, have for years, so has all of his coaches. Nobody lost more than him when Dak left, he was gonna have a breakout year. Target share was even moving to him from Gallup.

I think his production will make him cheap but I absolutely trust Wilson as a WR3 and would be 10000% fine with dealing Gallup for a pick before the contract year and rolling with Wilson as WR 3 (option # 7 or so on offense?).

And yeah sure he's good on ST too. But the only reason you think of him as a ST guy first is lack of opportunity as a WR.

If he hits the open market and sneaks into a place like Buffalo, look out. He's a technician underneath and a very good route runner.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Seems most here are of the "get rid of all but 3 or 4 of them" opinion.

So, if you do that, where do you get 18-19 new players? And if you let any of the current crop go, their replacement needs to be better, right? Otherwise what's the point? You strive to improve your team, not make 18-19 lateral moves.

Cowboys do not have a combination of draft picks and an available pool of free agents to fill 18-19 roster spots with improved players. That's a third of your entire team. Remember the pool of available free agents isn't just sitting there waiting for a call from the Cowboys or they will be applying to work at Walmart, if they're any good there's 31 other teams than also have free agent needs and wants.

Get rid of age, like Lee and T. Crawford. Get rid of guys that haven't been able to break into the lineup, like Noah Brown. Let Dalton go, as we saw this year, he can win a few games against weaker teams, but he's not a take-the-team-to-the-SB player. Gilbert didn't look bad, some time with the team in the off season and he'll improve. Get rid of warm bodies like M. Turner, he's never going to be a top receiver, you can get "warm bodies" easily, besides, they'll likely play sparingly, if at all.

That's 5 easy moves. Take a hard look at Woods and A. Smith, are they worth keeping long term? Have to be, considering Smith's long layoff he may not be around that long.

But dumping 1/3 of your team is too drastic, most players across the league are average to just above, you'll just get more of the same in all likelihood...

Pretty much every year there is a turnover of about a third of the roster. It won't be difficult to fill the roster between draft picks, free agents, and udfas.

Flamma

Reaction score
I wonder what it would cost to sign Cedric Wilson to a 4 year contract

Cowboys are estimated to have 10 million in cap space for 2021. Jerry is either going to have to cut players or restructure contracts just to fit Dak under the cap. Then consider Gallup. You don't want him to play the last year of his contract. This would be the best time to extend him. But I don't see it.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys are estimated to have 10 million in cap space for 2021. Jerry is either going to have to cut players or restructure contracts just to fit Dak under the cap. Then consider Gallup. You don't want him to play the last year of his contract. This would be the best time to extend him. But I don't see it.

That $10 million dollar number is assuming the salary cap for 2021 will be $175 million but it likely will be much higher.

Flamma

Reaction score
That $10 million dollar number is assuming the salary cap for 2021 will be $175 million but it likely will be much higher.

What i was looking at was assuming the cap would be 201 million. Maybe you're right and the 201 has carry over money added to 175. Hopefully you are right.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Most underrated WR4 in the NFL, i love that kid, have for years, so has all of his coaches. Nobody lost more than him when Dak left, he was gonna have a breakout year. Target share was even moving to him from Gallup.

I think his production will make him cheap but I absolutely trust Wilson as a WR3 and would be 10000% fine with dealing Gallup for a pick before the contract year and rolling with Wilson as WR 3 (option # 7 or so on offense?).

And yeah sure he's good on ST too. But the only reason you think of him as a ST guy first is lack of opportunity as a WR.

If he hits the open market and sneaks into a place like Buffalo, look out. He's a technician underneath and a very good route runner.

Wilson seemed like a possible third for this year, but at this point I don't see us getting much more in trade for Gallup than the comp pick when he leaves. He's a good player. No need to give away that good year from him for nothing.

We'll have Wilson for some decent rotation at WR next year, which is needed with a 3WR base. I thought we needed some veteran depth at WR this year, but we lucked out with limited downtime for the top 3.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I agree, what a great time to just have the roster churned and get rid of a lot of these bums, keep a handful that might still work, and bring in your own. MM should be thrilled with this if he really wants to build a winner.
Yeah but the jones boys may want to extend a lot of these bums lol, and may let the better ones walk.

on the list blake bell did good, noah brown was good,cedrik wilson, joe thomas, cam erving, I might resign all these guys, depending on the price.

Also Dalton was not a bad bkup, that last giants game whole team sucked. So depends on price he is a maybe.
Dak well depends on price too.

They cant just let all these guys go, I dont think, they only get so many in draft, others would have to be found in FA.
I guess they could sign a lot of udfa's to replace these guys.

Now if only MM and kellen were FA's too and could be cut ! Because with them , we could replace all these guys and it changes nothing.
New guys will play like these guys.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Our idiot GM could have had Brady for a couple of years but choose to give 31 million Tag to Garbage Time Dak?
Ya a 2nd Tag or monster contract for Prescott to hog-tie us for years is within the realm of this most goof-ball GM in the NFL.
Fa pick-ups or re-signings would be impossible due to our very limited cap.
Brady chose Tampa Bay. He was never coming to Dallas. The offensive talent was similar but the Bucs defense would have been the turning point. Brady wants to win championships not develop his brand.