Cowboys have drafted more pro bowlers than any other team since 2000

Big_D

Reaction score
The team doesn’t even have to win and people still search for reasons to give Jerry credit? lol everything they are working for today is a playoff spot and to win when they get there. That’s the bottom line in the nfl and Jerry hasn’t been good enough. The fact that they draft well just tells you how poor his other decisions actually are.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys have done a pretty good job in drafts, especially recently (not counting this year…always too early to evaluate in the first year). However I wouldn’t base this on probowlers. Fans make up 33% of the vote, so Cowboys players have the advantage a having the largest fan base. I’m sure you guys can think of some players that made the pro bowl where you thought “hmm, really?” If you’re being honest anyway

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Should we give more credit to Jerry and Stephen Jones on this? Or should Jerry get more blame since he has been unable to find a successful coach to guide this amount of wasted talent since 2000?
Will McClay is the MAN !!!!!!!!!!!
And, props to Jerry for paying to keep him!

diamonddelts

Reaction score
The team doesn’t even have to win and people still search for reasons to give Jerry credit? lol everything they are working for today is a playoff spot and to win when they get there. That’s the bottom line in the nfl and Jerry hasn’t been good enough. The fact that they draft well just tells you how poor his other decisions actually are.

The bottom line is to have a profitable franchise not winning Super Bowl. And Jerry excels at the former while he may lack the latter.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Great, what's their playoff record during that span? So is it coaching?

31RoyW31

Reaction score
There needs to be some type of "reward" during the FA signing for being the team that drafted a player. I think the drafting team should only have 90% of the FA contract count (not rookie contract) against the cap. Also, if you sign another teams player in FA that contract should count 110% against the cap. This would be a much more substantial reward for good drafting than a comp pick. It would also be better for the fans since it would allow a great number of a good teams players be retained..

LittleD

Reaction score
Should we give more credit to Jerry and Stephen Jones on this? Or should Jerry get more blame since he has been unable to find a successful coach to guide this amount of wasted talent since 2000?

So what? and who cares... Nothing to show for it and no trophies in the cabinet.

plymkr

Reaction score
Both. IMO Jerry and company are one of the best drafters in the NFL. Where they fail is creating a culture of dysfunction in the organization. You got to give Jerry and company deep respect for their drafting abilities. Now if they can hire a coach and not undermine that coach and get some accountability in here, we'll win super bowls again.

Just to show how good Jerry is at drafting. His drafting is keeping us relevant, relevant but not winning, in spite of Stephen's FA approach. That's pretty impressive. If Jerry can get out of the way we'd be winning in January again. And yes I know that McClay runs the scouts and all that stuff but I blame Jerry for everything wrong with the Cowboys. So it's faor that I blame Jerry for everything right with the Cowboys. Therefore Jerry gets credit for drafting so many pro bowl players. Jerry gets credit for Parsons, Tyler, Martin and on and on. It's only fair to give him his due for the good stuff if I hate on him for the bad stuff. But he is really good at drafting.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
How can a front office be good at drafting, but still not good at building a team? We're close but yet so far away.

terra

Reaction score
yeah and youre still gonna have people that eat with their hands and breathe thru their butt saying "BuT DaLLAs No GuD"
Pro Bowl is all but meaningless; and if we are so talented then clearly Jerry is even a worse GM then most think anyway for not being able to match the talent with coaching and everything else NEEDED to win a Lombardi.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. It actually makes me a bit sad. If we had moved on from Garrett quicker and used FA to do more than just fill in spots with cheap players, we might have another title by now.
The Cowboys free agent philosophy looks pretty good at this point, based on this season and last season.

It's all about coaching, in my opinion.

Garrett should not have been an NFL head coach and probably not even an Offensive Coordinator.

Marinelli should not have been an NFL D-Coordinator.

Marinelli probably would have kept Parsons at off-ball LB exclusively with zero pass rushing attempts.

Diggs would struggle in Marinelli's defense. Bohanna wouldn't even be on the team during the Marinelli era because he is over 320 pounds.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Great, what's their playoff record during that span? So is it coaching?

Only four teams have fewer playoff wins during this time (Washington, Cleveland, Miami, and Detroit), despite all of the Pro Bowlers.

The Jones boys like certain types of coaches. Ones who know their place and let them sit in on coaches meetings without complaint.

MaineBoy

Reaction score

Poor coaching and bad contracts. Look at the Dak and Zeke contracts: they were forced to sit Dak and finally utilized Pollard which reduced Zeke’s carries. We have a more effective offense by reducing usage of almost $60 million in contracts. Then there was Garrett for 10 years too long.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You say that. But I think you really can. Especially if you draft soundly. Not just drafting well, but soundly.

And with some of our UDFA pickups to add to that, it can pay off. It just takes time and bringing in the right UDFAs, which has been an underrated aspect of our personnel department over the years. Romo, Kearse, Mile Austin, Hendershot, etcetera.

They also drafted well this year. Some of our fans are just too dense or obsessed to realize it.

big dog cowboy said:
Unfortunately there are multiple ways to add talent to a roster. It takes a combination of all of that and a good HC to being home another Lombardi. You can't get there by just drafting good.

The 92 & 93 Cowboys Super Bowl teams had rosters of primarily what would be rookie contract players under the modern rules.
- Charles Haley is the primary player that would have been on a big contract.
- Irvin would have been on the 5th year option.
- Ken Norton would have been on a 2nd contract, but prior to the 92 season he wouldn't have been big contract type player.

• Rookie Contract Starters:
    • Aikman
    • Emmitt
    • Irvin (5th year option)
    • Moose
    • Erik Williams
    • Stepnoski
    • Russell Maryland
    • Alvin Harper
    • Kevin Smith
    • Larry Brown
    • Robert Jones
    • Tony Tolbert
    • *Darren Woodson (not a full time starter until 93)

Big_D

Reaction score
The bottom line is to have a profitable franchise not winning Super Bowl. And Jerry excels at the former while he may lack the latter.

Doesn’t change the fact that he still sucks at GMing a football team. Marketing is another story. At least his spot on the Forbes list is secure!

Cmac

Reaction score
Goes to show.....we have a dysfunctional FO and a onslaught to hope for minimum wage players.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
most popular team by a mile gets you pro bowl players..all pro's would tell a diferent story.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Should we give more credit to Jerry and Stephen?
We can give credit to the person or people who speak to Jerry about such matters Will McClay comes to mind as being one and could be more for all I know. Jerry gets credit for listening to the advice he receives and doing something with that advice i.e. drafting the players. It's great to have all these pro bowlers but I'd rather have a super bowl trophy. The World Champion Dallas Cowboys, has a nice ring to it...just say it over and over. You agree?