Twitter: Cowboys have interest in CB Chris Harris?

Kaiser

Reaction score
So?

Short term the cost difference isnt' going to be significant, and the cap is going to be so much higher 5 years from now it won't matter.

To me it sounds like a fall back option or a smoke signal to Byron's agent that they are willing to move on from him. IMO its very clear cut, Byron will test the market and if he gets top five money Dallas will move on quickly. If he doesn't Dallas will make him a fair offer that will put him around the 10th spot in CB salaries.

cern

Reaction score
"interest" is quantifiable. we might have a lot of interest in the player, or just a little interest in the player. we might only be interested in how much he wants to be paid.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I feel this is his agent putting it out there to drum up interest. I do think he can work well in our defense if we take cb early. Harris in the slot and guy like Henderson on the outside w awuzie or Jordan

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
To me it sounds like a fall back option or a smoke signal to Byron's agent that they are willing to move on from him. IMO its very clear cut, Byron will test the market and if he gets top five money Dallas will move on quickly. If he doesn't Dallas will make him a fair offer that will put him around the 10th spot in CB salaries.
If he gets top-5 money?

He's likely going to be the highest-paid corner in football. Harris is going to get top-5 as well.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If he gets top-5 money?

He's likely going to be the highest-paid corner in football. Harris is going to get top-5 as well.

Man, I don't see that but who knows what happens. If Byron Jones gets 15MM a year the team should absolutely move on IMO. I think he is more likely to get that 12- 14MM range than the 15 - 18MM range.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
That seems logical..

I think they bring back Anthony Brown and that will give us 2 guys who can guard the slot which is what Harris excelled at I believe.

CJ Henderson will be our 1st round pick most likely.
Anthony Brown is a RKG for Jason Garrett and he needs to join him....FAST.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
So?

Short term the cost difference isnt' going to be significant, and the cap is going to be so much higher 5 years from now it won't matter.

Because you can do a 4 or 5 year deal that is voidable after 3 for an older player like Harris to make it cheaper now, and eat a few million in 4 years when the CAP is much higher.

Harder to do that with a guy in his prime who is going to get a big deal with a ton of guarantees like Byron Jones.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I called it. I will say it again. Making Chris Harris a priority in free agency should be job one. Pay him a fraction of what Byron Jones wants, and we win. The guy is all around a better player and is a ball hawk. It just makes sense. Dude makes plays and is around the ball. INSTANT UPGRADE and would be our best DB.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I called it. I will say it again. Making Chris Harris a priority in free agency should be job one. Pay him a fraction of what Byron Jones wants, and we win. The guy is all around a better player and is a ball hawk. It just makes sense. Dude makes plays and is around the ball. INSTANT UPGRADE and would be our best DB.

True. Of course Harris has been around for ten years, but that's what will drive down his cost. The problem is he's still a quality player at a premium position and it's a near certainty somebody will out-bid the Cowboys. By the time Dallas franchises Dak and re-sign Cooper, Cobb, and Quinn cap space will be tight all over again.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It won't be for a fraction of the cost my friend.
Maybe cheaper, but not by much. Maybe less years though.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Because you can do a 4 or 5 year deal that is voidable after 3 for an older player like Harris to make it cheaper now, and eat a few million in 4 years when the CAP is much higher.

Harder to do that with a guy in his prime who is going to get a big deal with a ton of guarantees like Byron Jones.
You can absolutely do it with jones. They literally just did it with Zeke.

In fact, it makes sense for byron to only take a 3 yr deal so that he can cash in again when he's still under 300

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted Dallas to make a move for Harris many years ago, never happened...Brandon Carr did....
Harris was an undrafted free agent with only season and 4 starts under his belt when the Cowboys signed Carr, so he wasn't remotely thought of as on Carr's level at the time.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
whos the better CB Jones vs Harris? why not let BJ go and go after a better CB for similar money, IF thats the case?????

InTheZone

Reaction score
Harris was an undrafted free agent with only season and 4 starts under his belt when the Cowboys signed Carr, so he wasn't remotely thought of as on Carr's level at the time.
I should have worded it better. I had to look up the date, but it was in 2014 when he had a 2nd round tender and as far as I know Dallas made no attempt to make a trade. We stuck with average Carr who was entering his 3rd season with Dallas. We knew what we had in Carr at the time, we stuck with him anyway. Claiborne was also entering his 3rd year after an injury and barely played in any games in 2014.

It was just more of the "settle with what you have" while Harris goes on to win a super bowl. We got nothing from those two but individual wide receiver records and injuries. And now we got nothing from Jones, have a hole to fill with many other big holes on defense (DT x2, LB x2)

Carson

Reaction score

He turned down a 3 year, 36 million deal at the trade deadline. He wants to be paid. I can’t pay Harris 12-13 and let Jones go 14

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...r-broncos-will-try-to-re-sign-chris-harris-jr