Twitter: Cowboys have interest in CB Chris Harris?

TheHerd

Reaction score
I called it. I will say it again. Making Chris Harris a priority in free agency should be job one. Pay him a fraction of what Byron Jones wants, and we win. The guy is all around a better player and is a ball hawk. It just makes sense. Dude makes plays and is around the ball. INSTANT UPGRADE and would be our best DB.
Harris isn't signing for a fraction of Byron's deal. Well, I guess that's not true, because a fraction could be close to 1/1. I'd bet Harris gets 85-90 pct of what Jones gets, per year, all in

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
To me it sounds like a fall back option or a smoke signal to Byron's agent that they are willing to move on from him.
I thin k they have already made it clear they are parting ways. I don't get the "smoke signal" thing.

This organization led by Joneses is not smart enough to plot like that.

Rayman70

Reaction score
harris is better. Pay him just under what we would Jones, and its a win.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
maybe his agent is putting this out there to drive up his price I don't think the cowboys will sign harris that's his agent putting this out there

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
What on earth would be the point of moving from Byron Jones to Chris Harris?

All you're doing is getting older.

:hammer:.....would be a dumb move. But hey....that's what we do in free agency. :popcorn:

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Of course we’re interested. At the right price. Who wouldn’t Harris was a great corner. Now he’s good. Do I think he’s better than Jones. That’s tbd. If he has safety help maybe. Who knows.

fivetwos

Reaction score
IF CJ makes it to 17, I agree 1000%........ the problem is I don't think he makes 17 after blowing up the combines.

Check this out......

Byron Jones blew up the combine too, then couldn't BUY an interception.

Get me some play makers at corner please.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I should have worded it better. I had to look up the date, but it was in 2014 when he had a 2nd round tender and as far as I know Dallas made no attempt to make a trade. We stuck with average Carr who was entering his 3rd season with Dallas. We knew what we had in Carr at the time, we stuck with him anyway. Claiborne was also entering his 3rd year after an injury and barely played in any games in 2014.

It was just more of the "settle with what you have" while Harris goes on to win a super bowl. We got nothing from those two but individual wide receiver records and injuries. And now we got nothing from Jones, have a hole to fill with many other big holes on defense (DT x2, LB x2)
I know stats aren't everything, but statistically Carr's 2013 season was at least as good or better than Harris', and, of course, we were committed to a contract with Carr at the time. And none of the other 30 teams made a deal either, so it wasn't just the Cowboys that passed on Harris. Harris winning a Super Bowl 6 years later doesn't really mean much. That's hindsight, plus one player didn't win the Super Bowl.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I wanted Dallas to make a move for Harris many years ago, never happened...Brandon Carr did....

Brandon Carr signed with Dallas in 2012 and Chris Harris was drafted in 2011 :huh:

edit: correction, he went undrafted in 2011

InTheZone

Reaction score
I know stats aren't everything, but statistically Carr's 2013 season was at least as good or better than Harris', and, of course, we were committed to a contract with Carr at the time. And none of the other 30 teams made a deal either, so it wasn't just the Cowboys that passed on Harris. Harris winning a Super Bowl 6 years later doesn't really mean much. That's hindsight, plus one player didn't win the Super Bowl.
6 years after 2014 would be next years (this upcoming season) super bowl...

And I'm fully aware its a team sport, couldn't care less what other teams do. We don't follow trends remember? And carr was exposed big time in 2013. Big red flags but we were content with an overrated carr and Claiborne.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
24 teams had a conversation with him so he could be linked to almost any team. Doubt he signs with the Cowboy, but certainly worth a conversation to see what the dollars would look like.

Carson

Reaction score
24 teams had a conversation with him so he could be linked to almost any team. Doubt he signs with the Cowboy, but certainly worth a conversation to see what the dollars would look like.

He turned down a 3 year, 36 million deal with Denver. He will be 31 in June. So he’s looking to cash out one last time. He’s going to get 13-15 per year.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
He turned down a 3 year, 36 million deal with Denver. He will be 31 in June. So he’s looking to cash out one last time. He’s going to get 13-15 per year.

Yeah I don't think he will come much cheaper than Byron either. Maybe 1 to 2 million less a year, but we'll see.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I have a question for the thread. Overall do you think Chris Harris is better or Byron. Now with Byron contract being high and he’s younger which would you rather have? I understand the different arguments of age and money. But Harris has performed well for years. Byron was lock down for the most part but didn’t have many turnovers in his career. I think the new regime should have the choice who to become the new number one cb on our roster.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Read my follow up please, I corrected.

May be a bit of revisionist history. Harris has surgery for a partially torn ACL in February of 2014. He was able to return in July, but realistically no team was going to give up a second round tender and a long term deal for Harris given the injury. And by early December, he was signed long term.