Cowboys have talked with Chris Johnson on two occasions

superpunk

Reaction score
I like him and Choice of our realistic running back chances. Choice is probably a better runner, Johnson looks like a better athlete. It would be nice to have a homerun threat that was actually a homerun threat.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Roy Williams;1924727 said:
SWEET!!! I've always liked him over the other backs and I'm hoping we can target in rd. #2.

That will leave CB and WR in the 1st. RD

Not w/ where we are picking in the 2nd, it'll require us to move up in the second.

But if he runs as well as everyone expects him too, he'll probably shoot up as the 2nd best RB and I'm not sure if he'll be there w/ Cleveland's first.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;1924762 said:

I think it was you that I saw talking about Choice during the season, and I says to myself....let me check this fellow out.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;1924751 said:
I doubt Charles is even being considered. There are about a dozen better backs in the class.

I don't think there are a dozen better than Charles. The kid has shown himself as a very good RB and while I would not consider him one of the top 5 RB in this draft I he is a day 1 pick

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
superpunk;1924764 said:
I think it was you that I saw talking about Choice during the season, and I says to myself....let me check this fellow out.
Who's this Choice fellow and who is that in your avatar SP?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
What type of injury forced Johnson out? Not that I'm wishing injury on these guys, but it would just be dreamy if we could take the top CB (McKelvin) with our first, a top WR (Doucet) with our second first, a top RB prospect with our second (Johnson), and still get a guy like Schmitt in the fourth round.

Seems like all of the guys I like are coming up lame lately....good for draft position?

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
tomson75;1924769 said:
What type of injury forced Johnson out? Not that I'm wishing injury on these guys, but it would just be dreamy if we could take the top CB (McKelvin) with our first, a top WR (Doucet) with our second first, a top RB prospect with our second (Johnson), and still get a guy like Schmitt in the fourth round.

Seems like all of the guys I like are coming up lame lately....good for draft position?
Hamstring. Problem with taking Johnson in the 2nd is I don't think he will last that long. We may have to take him with our #28 pick.

TonyS

Reaction score
"Right now, they've got me late first round or early second," Johnson said. "After the combine, I should be up there in the first round. Pretty much all 32 teams have been at practice to watch me and to watch film of me."

Obviously, he doesn't know that the only way a back goes high in the first is if someone falls in love with him. Backs usually drop precipitously in the draft from where they are projected, especially in a strong RB year, which this seems to be. He'll be lucky to go in the top of the 2nd.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Johnson is a kid who can play......fast and catches the ball very well.....could be our pick for sure

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Roy Williams;1924737 said:
RB- East Carolina

image_6490557.jpg

OMG, it's the cave troll in the Mines of Moria from Lord of the Rings! :laugh2:

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
ECU back makes run at first round

869-reg-1830964-1177342.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg
Chris Johnson earned some postseason notice by putting up 408 total yards in the Hawaii Bowl against Boise State.
Staff Photo by Robert Willett

Caulton Tudor, Staff Writer
While running for all those bowl game yards against Boise State, East Carolina football player Chris Johnson also made a fast dash for cash. NFL scouts already had the senior running back on their checklists, but his record 408 total yards in the Pirates' 41-38 Sheraton Hawaii Bowl upset win on Dec. 23 may have vaulted Johnson into the first round of the 2008 draft.
"It's really going to pay off for Chris, and no one is more deserving," ECU coach Skip Holtz said. "Most of the pro teams had him as maybe a third-rounder before the game, but it's pretty obvious now that he's going to do better than that."
How much better will hinge in part on Johnson's work at the Senior Bowl (Jan. 26, Mobile, Ala.), the NFL Combine (Feb. 20-26, Indianapolis) and in individual practice sessions. A bigger factor will be the number of underclassmen who enter the April 26-27 draft in New York.
Several potential high picks in the junior class -- Arkansas' Darren McFadden, West Virginia's Steve Slaton and Rutgers' Ray Rice among others -- could change the pecking order at running back. McFadden is rated the No. 1 overall pick by some scouting services.
But among the seniors, Johnson and Michigan's Mike Hart are the clear leaders. Hart, a preseason All-America pick by many, has been high on the charts since the end of the 2006 season.
Johnson was hardly on anyone's radar until the season began, but he's a fast mover. At 6 feet and 200 pounds, his 4.28-second 40-yard run in preseason was a tipoff of things to come.
"And that was on the pro stopwatches," Holtz said. "He's as quick as any player I've ever been around, but we knew that part of it all along. The big difference was in the way he performed this season, and especially as the season wore on. A lot of backs lose a step in the latter stages of the season. Chris just got tougher and faster."
Not only that, Johnson kept that speed while returning kicks and improving his pass-catching skills. The end result is one of the most versatile players in the NFL pool. While Johnson went home to Orlando, Fla., to line up private trainers and interview agents during the holidays, Holtz began hearing from a string of interested NFL teams.
"I thought there would be a lot of increased interest in him after the bowl performance he had," Holtz said. "But I never remotely expected anything like what's happened. A part of it was because of the team Chris did it against. Boise State is a heck of a quick football team, and the pro scouts knew it. He didn't get all those yards against a bunch of big, slow guys. He did it against a team that can move and hit and run people down."
In its history, ECU has produced only one NFL first-rounder, linebacker Robert Jones, who was picked No. 24 overall by Dallas in the 1992 draft. Jacksonville quarterback David Garrard was a fourth-round pick in 2002, and longtime pro rushing standout Earnest Byner was a 10th-round pick by Cleveland in 1984.
"Chris is going to have a chance at it," Holtz said. "There are only a few players who make that cut, so it's not easy."
Rather than the usual 32, there will be only 31 first-rounders this year. New England will not get a first-round choice as a result of its illegal scouting infraction earlier in the season.
But as Holtz said, "Chris is in the running."
And he definitely can run.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1924730 said:
Speedster running back from East Carolina. Track star. Many think he'll run the fastest 40 time in this class.

:starspin IR, I have a feeling you may be right about him having the fastest time in the 40. If that turns out to be the case, it wouldn't surprise me if he's picked before our current spot in the 2nd though.