Cowboys have the 6th youngest roster in the NFL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't think there's any question but what Zeke isn't what he once was, although, we're about to see what he has left. It's been said that the knee problems of last year was partly to blame. We're about to see if returning to good health helps his cause. In any case, I think this will be his last rodeo for him with the Cowboys. Our FO is averse to parting with him now, perhaps due to financial implications. Next year should be a banner year for drafting RBs. I expect a running back or two to be added to our roster in 2023.

Is next years draft supposed to be loaded with backs?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That what I've been reading lately. There's supposed to be a plentiful supply of good ones.

If Im the Cowboys I draft one in 2nd or 3rd and I resign Pollard for under 5 million per year for 2 years and I make him a bigger part of the offense. I would probably sign a cheap veteran RB as well.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Im the Cowboys I draft one in 2nd or 3rd and I resign Pollard for under 5 million per year for 2 years and I make him a bigger part of the offense. I would probably sign a cheap veteran RB as well.

The staff seems to have reservations about his blocking and ability to retain health under more duress. I've seen such comments lately.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The staff seems to have reservations about his blocking and his ability to stay healthy under more duress. I've seen comments about it lately.

Thats why I would have him in a RB by committee rather then just a guy that spells the starter. He should get 15 touches a game with 5 of those catches out of the backfield. I wouldnt give the guy 20-25 touches a game.

The blocking issue I think is overused by the Zeke apologists. Is Deeboo Samuel a great blocker? Thats how I would use Pollard, albeit with less usage.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Thats why I would have him in a RB by committee rather then just a guy that spells the starter. He should get 15 touches a game with 5 of those catches out of the backfield. I wouldnt give the guy 20-25 touches a game.

The blocking issue I think is overused by the Zeke apologists. Is Deeboo Samuel a great blocker? Thats how I would use Pollard, albeit with less usage.

That's your preference, but we'll see what the staff has in mind for the future. Your idea has been batted around extensively lately. The weeks to come should reveal much of what his future is likely to encompass. There has been conjecture about his blocking being "mediocre." We'll soon see.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's your preference, but we'll see what the staff has in mind for the future. Your idea has been batted around extensively lately. The weeks to come should reveal much of what his future is likely to encompass. There has been conjecture about his blocking being "mediocre." We'll soon see.

mediocre isnt bad.

As far as the FO plan we have seen quite clearly its a garbage plan. I would expect more of the same.

Im more concerned with what he does when he has the ball in his hands. After all they are called running backs for a reason. They dont draft running backs for their elite blocking skills.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Clearly it all depends on the Oline because we have seen that if there arent huge holes for Zeke, he cant get the job done. Not even close.

He's strictly a power back these days. His quick twitch days are over.

Years of contact have taken a toll. His remaining days are numbered.

He'll be used a bit less than last year with Pollard getting more action.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having a young roster is great. It provides the hope that as player's mature and gain experience the team will benefit and improve. But we've had a young team in the recent past and that didn't materialize.

Part of that may be that as some mature, others become unaffordable or ineffective or get injured and leave as free agents or get released. There is always something of a revolving door.

Another part may be the Cowboy's insistence on just excepting where they sit with a young team and refusing to supplement with key outside free agents. I support the strategy of not free flowing cash into the free agency market, but the Cowboys seem to take their reluctance to an extreme. I believe an occasional top level free agent could make a very real difference. Bobby Wagner might be an example. Even at almost 32 years old he's still an elite player, and obviously he would command a lot of respect and bring a lot of leadership in the locker room, and the contract he signed with the Rams seemed very reasonable and managable. From the sound of it the Cowboys didn't make much more than a passing inquiry about him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That sounds like a wa wa statement. We still are good. This team is better constructed this year then it was last year. And its in much better position with cap space the next 3 years and with young talent.

Cool story.

Zero chance to win anything. Less than none.

elcowboi

Reaction score
Being young is good but experience in the playoffs plays a bigger factor.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Clearly it all depends on the Oline because we have seen that if there arent huge holes for Zeke, he cant get the job done. Not even close.
Not huge holes, but a crease would be nice.
Ive been as hard on Zeke as anyone else has around here, but I can not dismiss the failures of this OL.
Im hoping that Zeke is pissed, and so are young starting role prospects on this OL get motivated..
Im looking at this camp as an OL shakeup and or wake up.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Cool story.

You so cool, and that is the easy bet.
I want to hang out on a limb with some hope, and bet on outside the box coaches like Quinn and how he can elevate and motivate a very young and athletic defense.
Its always difficult to have everything, but if Moore can step up and open up his Boise State playbook, he might even begin to discover how valuable players like Pollard, Washington can be if he shortened the route trees a bit.
We have the perfect personal to play a very aggressive yet controlled intermediate passing game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He's strictly a power back these days. His quick twitch days are over.

Years of contact have taken a toll. His remaining days are numbered.

He'll be used a bit less than last year with Pollard getting more action.

We can only dream of that. But as the year went on, Pollard was used less and less. He was barely used at all in the playoff loss.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Cool story.

I agree we arent winning anything this year. But crying about not having a SB contender isnt going to change anything. LOL

Feel free to turn in your fan card.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not huge holes, but a crease would be nice.
Ive been as hard on Zeke as anyone else has around here, but I can not dismiss the failures of this OL.
Im hoping that Zeke is pissed, and so are young starting role prospects on this OL get motivated..
Im looking at this camp as an OL shakeup and or wake up.

Its one guy really. I dont think that is a big enough shake up.