Twitter: Cowboys have won their division 24 times in 59 seasons, the best percentage in the NFL

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

It’s only been a weak division since the Pats begun dominating it. The 40 years prior the Pats only won their division 5 times.

Also, with their 1st place schedule every year they must always play the top teams in AFC.

IMO the Pats run in 21st Century is the most impressive in NFL history.
Considering the restraints they're under, like every other team, it truly is an incredible feat.

Other teams have used that term "reload" instead of rebuild but Belichick has mastered it and it's not a secret. They all want to emulate his success, they just can't do it. He is the most team focused HC the NFL has seen in the last 20 years. I don't know if he would have had this level of success if not under these restraints but he has no equal in getting his bang for the buck.

I am amused by the excuses for his success. He was a failure in CLE, it's all about Brady, he's nothing without him, he's a cheater (now, that's a fact) and they play in a weak division. That last one is a hoot, 6 out of 16 games and they play the best the AFC has to offer and their out of division winning % is the same as within the division. They win 3 out of 4 everywhere.

I get not liking him because he's not likable but he's the best damned coach in the last 20 years and is a strong candidate to be the best ever.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Considering the restraints they're under, like every other team, it truly is an incredible feat.

Other teams have used that term "reload" instead of rebuild but Belichick has mastered it and it's not a secret. They all want to emulate his success, they just can't do it. He is the most team focused HC the NFL has seen in the last 20 years. I don't know if he would have had this level of success if not under these restraints but he has no equal in getting his bang for the buck.

I am amused by the excuses for his success. He was a failure in CLE, it's all about Brady, he's nothing without him, he's a cheater (now, that's a fact) and they play in a weak division. That last one is a hoot, 6 out of 16 games and they play the best the AFC has to offer and their out of division winning % is the same as within the division. They win 3 out of 4 everywhere.

I get not liking him because he's not likable but he's the best damned coach in the last 20 years and is a strong candidate to be the best ever.
Well done Coach!

I think we can say Belichick / Brady are the greatest HC/QB duo in NFL history without any hesitation now.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goes to show you how hard it is to find a really good coach in today's "win now" era. The Pats have the combination of a great coach and a great qb.
And all the while, 20-25% of the HC's lose their jobs every year.

TH, I would add great owner to that as well. Kraft was smart enough to realize how special Belichick was and talk him out of the slide in with the Jets to join him in NE and then even smarter listening to him and giving him the control he did not have in CLE.

Now, I don't like Kraft, Belichick or Brady but I do appreciate greatness and the only team to tell the NFL to shove their ideas about parity. Parity = mediocrity.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well done Coach!

I think we can say Belichick / Brady are the greatest HC/QB duo in NFL history without any hesitation now.
Yeah, they are that and part of why they are is Brady's respect for his HC. He may not like him at times, especially when he uses him to make an example, but he does understand his HC is the living definition of putting his players in their best possible position to succeed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And all the while, 20-25% of the HC's lose their jobs every year.

TH, I would add great owner to that as well. Kraft was smart enough to realize how special Belichick was and talk him out of the slide in with the Jets to join him in NE and then even smarter listening to him and giving him the control he did not have in CLE.

Now, I don't like Kraft, Belichick or Brady but I do appreciate greatness and the only team to tell the NFL to shove their ideas about parity. Parity = mediocrity.
I’m not a Belichick fan nor was I a Lombardi, Knoll or Walsh fan either but astute fans of the league admire and acknowledge greatness. Much like our opponents acknowledged the greatness of what Landry and Jimmy accomplished.

And I enjoy watching the greatest perform much like I did for example with Montana , Elway, etc while rooting against them. I think true fans of the game marvel in watching the Cowboys accomplishments while rooting against them. It’s all part of being a sports fan which is not just about rooting your team on.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Essentially they already have. The cowboys achieved that during an era with no salary cap and free agency. It's incredible what the Patriots have accomplished. Some want to belittle what they have done due to a 'weak' division. Those people never pause to consider that the reason it appears so weak is because the Patriots have been so consistently good.

There is no asterisk for salary cap era.
May as well throw out all. the records and start over then. Have 2 sets of books like some businesses do.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Landry has 12 NFCE titles, but also a title when they conference title, before it was made a division, so 13. That was in 1966.
Jimmy 2
Barry 3
Wade 2
Jason 3

Oh and Bill has 0

I have 23, so am I missing one, or are they?

EDIT: I found my mistake, my spreadsheet was missing the division title in 1998.

So Chan Gaily gets 1 NFCE title

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
33.3 percent (3 of 9), although since he only was head coach for half a season in 2010, you could go with 3 of 8 (37.5).
If you include his stint as OC, Garrett has been involved with all 5 Division titles in 21st Century.
5 in 12 years(41.7)

Reid1boys

Reaction score
There is no asterisk for salary cap era.
May as well throw out all. the records and start over then. Have 2 sets of books like some businesses do.
Why not. The nba of the 50s and 60s isnt even close to the same game as it is today. Comparing baseball players , especially pitchers from the 40s to pitchers of today is ridiculous.

Salary Cap era vs non is the same thing. The scrutiny on teams today never allows Tom Landry to exist. He would have been fired long before he started winning.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
why? They went to 4 SBs in the 70s, and had one of the best offenses with Carter and Moss... they have been solid most of my life.
Yea but it was their defense in the 70’s( Purple People Eaters) that carried them to much of their success under Hall of Fame HC Bud Grant while they did have some notable QB’s in Joe Kapp and HOF Fran Tarkenton.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yea but it was their defense in the 70’s( Purple People Eaters) that carried them to much of their success under Hall of Fame HC Bud Grant while they did have some notable QB’s in Joe Kapp and HOF Fran Tarkenton.
back to your point about the QB... yea, Fran Tarkenton was a little more than "Notable."

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If you include his stint as OC, Garrett has been involved with all 5 Division titles in 21st Century.
5 in 12 years(41.7)

I don't like doing that because it skews the numbers. His division-winning percentage is 33.3 or 37.5. Those other two belong to Wade Phillips, who was 2 of 5. Being part of a winning team is different than leading one.

And if you ask me Phillips' first division title belongs more to Bill Parcells, who built that team, but of course, Parcells doesn't officially receive credit for it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don't like doing that because it skews the numbers. His division-winning percentage is 33.3 or 37.5. Those other two belong to Wade Phillips, who was 2 of 5. Being part of a winning team is different than leading one.

And if you ask me Phillips' first division title belongs more to Bill Parcells, who built that team, but of course, Parcells doesn't officially receive credit for it.
Well I guess Tomlin doesnt get any credit for his first three or so years coaching either tehn, since that team was built by Cowher. No SB win for Tomlin.