Twitter: Cowboys have won their division 24 times in 59 seasons, the best percentage in the NFL

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would be great to debate how Lombardi, Landry, Shula, Noll and Walsh would have done with the cap/FA. Think they could have held those great teams together?

But, on the other side of that, I do not think Belichick would have been as successful in their era because if you look at it closely, he makes mistakes in the draft and uses FA to cover for himself. He is a far better judge of talent once he's seen it play at the NFL level than he is before that.
Good point - I was thinking it. How many QBs did Landry, et al, succeed with as well?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Good point - I was thinking it. How many QBs did Landry, et al, succeed with as well?
Cmon... all those coaches were so great they could have won no matter who the QB was. Just read the board, people will tell you.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
More impressive is we won division 19 times in first 40 years. Only 5 times in last 19 years.
and the celtics won like 35 NBA titles in a row... not so great lately..... its called the rest of the sports teams catching up and so many things have changed that make this happen.... and it is not just bad team management.

The Lakers suck... why? Because playing in La isnt such an advantage anymore. Besides actually living in socal... who cares.ALL teams games are on TV now, INternet means you can be a STAR no matter what city you play in. Times change

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a new season with the same lousy GM!
In that regard I agree having lofty expectations are almost certainly useless but as a fan seeing a once great franchise brought low by a guy we can’t get rid off, Buggs me.
I do not see him as the same or lousy. Is he the best? Nope, but he's not the worst as he's gotten better.....just not better enough.

His greatest failing is not leaving well enough alone with a strong HC. He has to meddle with that instead of leaving that to people who know more than he does. He is the poster boy for upper management people in that he doesn't even know what he doesn't know. He is also affected by "being the boss and letting everyone know it" that he doesn't allow the ones that know a hell of a lot more than he does.

What other owner/GM is so arrogant that they think they can teach a HC how to be a HC? Hell, this GM didn't learn from the two best HC's he ever had. In his attempts to show off what he does know, he simply draws attention to what he doesn't know.

Irish, better to accept this that you can't change because this isn't changing as long as he's alive.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Essentially they already have. The cowboys achieved that during an era with no salary cap and free agency. It's incredible what the Patriots have accomplished. Some want to belittle what they have done due to a 'weak' division. Those people never pause to consider that the reason it appears so weak is because the Patriots have been so consistently good.

There’s no doubt the Patriots have been great. There’s also zero doubt the rest of the division has been ***. Both statements hold true.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I do not see him as the same or lousy. Is he the best? Nope, but he's not the worst as he's gotten better.....just not better enough.

His greatest failing is not leaving well enough alone with a strong HC. He has to meddle with that instead of leaving that to people who know more than he does. He is the poster boy for upper management people in that he doesn't even know what he doesn't know. He is also affected by "being the boss and letting everyone know it" that he doesn't allow the ones that know a hell of a lot more than he does.

What other owner/GM is so arrogant that they think they can teach a HC how to be a HC? Hell, this GM didn't learn from the two best HC's he ever had. In his attempts to show off what he does know, he simply draws attention to what he doesn't know.

Irish, better to accept this that you can't change because this isn't changing as long as he's alive.
My fear is the his son while undoubtedly different will be no better but I’m becoming more resigned to it all and like you say there’s little either of us can do about it.

Dre11

Reaction score
Patriots 1st 40 years : 5 division titles. Since 2000 :16

Pats have had almost as many since 2000 as we had 1st 40 years. Phenomenal!!

They are on the verge of breaking the Cowboys record many thought would never be broken. 20 Consecutive Winning Seasons.

When you're playing the dolphins, Jets , and Buffalo every year, they should...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
Yep

It’s only been a weak division since the Pats begun dominating it. The 40 years prior the Pats only won their division 5 times.

Also, with their 1st place schedule every year they must always play the top teams in AFC.

IMO the Pats run in 21st Century is the most impressive in NFL history.

No it has nothing to do with the patriots, that's only 2 losses a year for each team, those teams are routinely .500 or below

Dre11

Reaction score
Why didn’t that matter the 40 years prior?

Some of those teams were better then and the Patriots sucked, now it's that those teams suck they don't beat anybody in or out the division. They have a good season here and there

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some of those teams were better then and the Patriots sucked, now it's that those teams suck they don't beat anybody in or out the division. They have a good season here and there
The Pats had 1st place schedule every year playing the best AFC had to offer and still won 3 out 4 games wherever and whoever they played.

The divisional argument is failed. Those divisional opponents were worse because they had to play Pats twice a year.

Dre11

Reaction score
The Pats had 1st place schedule every year playing the best AFC had to offer and still won 3 out 4 games wherever and whoever they played.

The divisional argument is failed. Those divisional opponents were worse because they had to play Pats twice a year.

That's asinine, those teams lost 2 games a year playing the Pats, that in no way wreck your record, they suck , because they can't beat anyone else either. What were those teams doing the other 14 games?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My fear is the his son while undoubtedly different will be no better but I’m becoming more resigned to it all and like you say there’s little either of us can do about it.
Agree and those that think he's already in the process of taking over didn't pay close attention to the war room for that 3rd round pick.

Two of my buds were lifelong Raiders and I used to laugh at them when Crazy Al would take a P or PK in the 1st round, the fact that both will be HOFers notwithstanding, until I came to understand their pain.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's asinine, those teams lost 2 games a year playing the Pats, that in no way wreck your record, they suck , because they can't beat anyone else either. What were those teams doing the other 14 games?
What were the Pats doing outside their division?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree and those that think he's already in the process of taking over didn't pay close attention to the war room for that 3rd round pick.

Two of my buds were lifelong Raiders and I used to laugh at them when Crazy Al would take a P or PK in the 1st round, the fact that both will be HOFers notwithstanding, until I came to understand their pain.
Right

They also didn’t pay attention embarrassing Garrett with Linehans firing .

Jerry as always is very much in control but as history proves can be influenced by those around him.

As Parcells said” you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts”.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not as much as the fact the Pats record is the same as it is outside of their division, they win 3 out of 4 no matter who they play. Anyone believing the AFC East myth needs to do a little research and they will see they own the best record against other division winners and it's not even a contest.

And do those making fun of that division think the Cowboys would have won 3 of the last 5 if the Pats were in the NFC East?

You can hate Kraft, Belichick, Brady, Boston, all that and there is no denying who sets the standard and by which all are measured in the last 20 years. To make up excuses for greatness is to deny greatness. I don't like them but I do respect them for I embrace greatness. I did it with the Packers, Steelers, Niners and didn't like them them as well because they owned my Cowboys, fortunately we got in there in the 90's are in the discussion and greatest ever, and it is the same with them.

We will play 16 games this season but 1 stands out above all others for we get to face the beast in it's own lair. And not early when most catch them napping, we get them in late November when they're usually humming for the stretch run. Anyone think that's just another game? Want to really know what you're made of? Play the best in the late game on their own playground in late November. Brrrrrrrr, I just got a shiver and it's 96 outside.

Dre11

Reaction score
What were the Pats doing outside their division?

You can't answer the question? I told you the Pats were good, but that had nothing to do with those teams , they could barely compete against anyone in the NFL.

Dre11

Reaction score
Not as much as the fact the Pats record is the same as it is outside of their division, they win 3 out of 4 no matter who they play. Anyone believing the AFC East myth needs to do a little research and they will see they own the best record against other division winners and it's not even a contest.

And do those making fun of that division think the Cowboys would have won 3 of the last 5 if the Pats were in the NFC East?

You can hate Kraft, Belichick, Brady, Boston, all that and there is no denying who sets the standard and by which all are measured in the last 20 years. To make up excuses for greatness is to deny greatness. I don't like them but I do respect them for I embrace greatness. I did it with the Packers, Steelers, Niners and didn't like them them as well because they owned my Cowboys, fortunately we got in there in the 90's are in the discussion and greatest ever, and it is the same with them.

We will play 16 games this season but 1 stands out above all others for we get to face the beast in it's own lair. And not early when most catch them napping, we get them in late November when they're usually humming for the stretch run. Anyone think that's just another game? Want to really know what you're made of? Play the best in the late game on their own playground in late November. Brrrrrrrr, I just got a shiver and it's 96 outside.

case in point, if you put the Pats in the Nfc east no way do they dominate or win as many divisions as they did in the afc

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
:starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:

tldr Giants 27%, Commanders 17%, Crapeaters 16%

larger image of the chart...
SGjLIYT.png

Yes but do you call that successful, LOL sarcasm