Twitter: Cowboys have won their division 24 times in 59 seasons, the best percentage in the NFL

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
True, but you can also combine that with the ineptitude of the teams in their division.

The Bill, Jets, and Dolphins have been 3 of the bottom teams for most of 15 years. Jets being the ONLY team that ever had anything solid and that was with Sanchize as QB.
Make no mistake about it my cowboy brother that's not why they've been successful. Yes I agree it helps but it's not the main reason

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You can't answer the question? I told you the Pats were good, but that had nothing to do with those teams , they could barely compete against anyone in the NFL.
I really don’t know how the other teams were outside the division.

I do know the Jets went to back to back AFC championships and Miami might have been a playoff team a couple years. Bills I don’t think made a playoff until just recently. All off of memory.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
case in point, if you put the Pats in the Nfc east no way do they dominate or win as many divisions as they did in the afc
Moot point as that can't be proven but since Belichick became their HC, they have a winning record against every NFL team.

Brady has more playoff wins than 27 teams in the NFL. Think about that. And damned few of their playoff wins are against AFC East teams.

Dre, spend a little time looking up some information that I looked up last season when this mythical "they're only good against the AFC East" popped up and you will be surprised as I was.

One element that is different about the AFC East than any other division. The other 3 teams spend all of their time trying to beat one team. Everything they do is with taking the Pats down in mind. And they've all failed since Belichick got there and the Jets have got to be the most frustrated because they let him get away to NE.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
case in point, if you put the Pats in the Nfc east no way do they dominate or win as many divisions as they did in the afc
We just don’t know. Pure speculation.

What we do know is most of the SB champions that era came from AFC with Steelers, Ravens and Colts two of the teams Patriots had to get by which were perineal SB contenders winning several of their own.

No other team in NFC but the Giants who upset Pats twice won multiple Super Bowls in same era.

I think Pats would have been favorites to win NFC E almost every year and might have had an easier path to reach SB than thru AFC.

Silly

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Garrett has been here longer than 5 years.

Amazing...…...I just looked it up and you cut off the last 5 years because he didn't even win a division his first 4. LOL

So it goes from 60% to 33%. Ouch!!! Quite a drop.

Isnt it amazing that the Cowboys have had the most success recently as Garrett has been more and more neutered by Jones. As soon as Jones started taking away play calling and OC duties away from the horrid Garrett, we turned the corner.

Coincidence?

I don't think you can blame it all on JG. The FO has sucked too. IN fact the FO has sucked longer than Garrett.

Dre11

Reaction score
Moot point as that can't be proven but since Belichick became their HC, they have a winning record against every NFL team.

Brady has more playoff wins than 27 teams in the NFL. Think about that. And damned few of their playoff wins are against AFC East teams.

Dre, spend a little time looking up some information that I looked up last season when this mythical "they're only good against the AFC East" popped up and you will be surprised as I was.

One element that is different about the AFC East than any other division. The other 3 teams spend all of their time trying to beat one team. Everything they do is with taking the Pats down in mind. And they've all failed since Belichick got there and the Jets have got to be the most frustrated because they let him get away to NE.

I don't think anyone disputes they're good outside the division ,they are, but within the division they get what to amount 2 3 scrimmage games because the teams in their division aren't good. It was the same for the 49ers Rams,Saints, Falcons.

Big_D

Reaction score
This would be good news if it didn't become the new bar set for this team decades ago. Now a division win is a success while anything beyond that is always out of reach.

Dre11

Reaction score
We just don’t know. Pure speculation.

What we do know is most of the SB champions that era came from AFC with Steelers, Ravens and Colts two of the teams Patriots had to get by which were perineal SB contenders winning several of their own.

No other team in NFC but the Giants who upset Pats twice won multiple Super Bowls in same era.

I think Pats would have been favorites to win NFC E almost every year and might have had an easier path to reach SB than thru AFC.

What we know is the NFC east division was/is better than the Afc east, more physical, and generally beat up each other. I believe you give those teams 2 shots a year, they'd be in a dog fight every year, which also wear you down , which can in la t you ability to win outside the division.

Sydla

Reaction score

There's an analysis or two floating out there that shoots down this myth that the Pats are a product of their division.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This would be good news if it didn't become the new bar set for this team decades ago. Now a division win is a success while anything beyond that is always out of reach.
While that is true, would we rather have 5-11 or 4-12 seasons? Or even 8-8's?

Decades ago is decades ago, name anything the same? I do not look at it as lowering the bar or the expectations but more of adjusting to what is instead of what was.

Decades ago, the Niners ruled the NFL as well as the Cowboys. The Bulls, Pistons and Lakers ruled the NBA. The sun does not shine on the same dog's butt everyday.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What we know is the NFC east division was/is better than the Afc east, more physical, and generally beat up each other. I believe you give those teams 2 shots a year, they'd be in a dog fight every year, which also wear you down , which can in la t you ability to win outside the division.
NFC E had been pretty soft this era overall. Take away NY huge upsets and Egirls unusual run last year the other divisions in NFC might have been tougher overall.

This isn’t the NFCE we grew up with that used to be a powerhouse . Dallas and Wash haven’t appeared in a champ game this era.

I think Pats would have had a tougher time in NFC North or South. But again it’s just noise.

It’s useless attempting to discredit the Pats dominating era. 9 Super Bowls, 6 Rings, what 10 straight conference championship appearances with like 16 playoff appearances in 18 years and 20 consecutive winning season in Cap era. RU Kiddin Me.

We should be worshipping the success not tearing it down regardless how much we hate or despise them. It’s the classy thing to do IMO. To each their own I suppose. Lol

Dre11

Reaction score
NFC E had been pretty soft this era overall. Take away NY huge upsets and Egirls unusual run last year the other divisions in NFC might have been tougher overall.

This isn’t the NFCE we grew up with that used to be a powerhouse . Dallas and Wash haven’t appeared in a champ game this era.

I think Pats would have had a tougher time in NFC North or South. But again it’s just noise.

It’s useless attempting to discredit the Pats dominating era. 9 Super Bowls, 6 Rings, what 10 straight conference championship appearances with like 16 playoff appearances in 18 years and 20 consecutive winning season in Cap era. RU Kiddin Me.

We should be worshipping the success not tearing it down regardless how much we hate or despise them. It’s the classy thing to do IMO. To each their own I suppose. Lol

I don't hate the patriots, nor am I tearing down their accomplishments. But say they didn't play in a cupcake division is asinine.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't hate the patriots, nor am I tearing down their accomplishments. But say they didn't play in a cupcake division is asinine.
It’s not necessary unless your attempting to lessen their accomplishments. It’s the NFL. Every week is tough to win and they beat everyone most of the time.

If the Pats weren’t in the East it would have opened it up for the rest of those teams to have more success.

Dre11

Reaction score
It’s not necessary unless your attempting to lessen their accomplishments. It’s the NFL. Every week is tough to win and they beat everyone most of the time.

If the Pats weren’t in the East it would have opened it up for the rest of those teams to have more success.

Lol...those teams wouldn't have no more success but maybe 1 or two games a season. One would make the division by default. Are you denying those teams has been terrible in and out of the division. This isn't even an argument....lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lol...those teams wouldn't have no more success but maybe 1 or two games a season. One would make the division by default. Are you denying those teams has been terrible in and out of the division. This isn't even an argument....lol
I think serves no purpose other than to attempt to discredit the Pats accomplishments. All you can do is play the games on your schedule.

Dre11

Reaction score
I think serves no purpose other than to attempt to discredit the Pats accomplishments. All you can do is play the games on your schedule.

Can you answer it. Are they terrible or not?

Since Tom Brady took over the reigns in '01, the list of starting quarterbacks the Pats have faced in the division is comical. The names are too pathetic and humiliating to list here entirely, but the best opposing signal-callers the Pats have faced are erratic Ryan Tannehill, (a very old) Vinny Testeverde and middling Jay Fiedler. We're not talking about a small snapshot of three other teams scrambling for a few years. This is nearly two decades of shocking ineptitude. The Patriots have been granted six light scrimmages (almost 40% of the schedule) during the regular season every year, for 18 years. Again, this is not their fault. It is just reality.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys division was pretty weak overall in 60’s and 70’s. NY, Phil and Stl all pretty well suked. And Wash had a team a few years in 70’s but we would have had a tougher time in West against Rams and Whiners or North with Packers and Vikings in same era but I don’t recall anyone making these lame arguments against us for being in a weaker division.

Dre11

Reaction score
The Cowboys division was pretty weak overall in 60’s and 70’s. NY, Phil and Stl all pretty well suked. And Wash had a team a few years in 70’s but we would have had a tougher time in West against Rams and Whiners or North with Packers and Vikings in same era but I don’t recall anyone making these lame arguments against us for being in a weaker division.

The NFC east has been regarded as the toughest division in football for years . They had a small downturn. You still haven't answered the question.
Are they terrible? I have another one, would you like those 6 on our schedule every year? 40% of our schedule

With the Philadelphia Eagles winning their first Super Bowl in Minnesota, the NFC East became the first division in the history of the NFL where every team has won a championship.

The Dallas Cowboys have won 5 Super Bowls, the New York Giants have won 4 and the Washington Commandershave won 3 to go with Philadelphia’s recent victory.

That’s 13 Super Bowl wins out of 52 games for the division.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFC east has been regarded as the toughest division in football for years . They had a small downturn. You still haven't answered the question.
Are they terrible? I have another one, would you like those 6 on our schedule every year? 40% of our schedule

With the Philadelphia Eagles winning their first Super Bowl in Minnesota, the NFC East became the first division in the history of the NFL where every team has won a championship.

The Dallas Cowboys have won 5 Super Bowls, the New York Giants have won 4 and the Washington Commandershave won 3 to go with Philadelphia’s recent victory.

That’s 13 Super Bowl wins out of 52 games for the division.
NFC E was one of the toughest years ago. The cumulative total doesn’t mean the division hasn’t had long periods where one team was the most dominant. I provided one of those examples.

Basically the cumulative total simply says when they were good they had one of the best teams. But it never lasted for long periods of time except for Cowboys during the period I provided when division was probably the weakest.

I believe we have the softest division in NFC now.