News: Cowboys infected with too much optimism? Jerry Jones: We're a glass half-full team

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not according to Jerry. :D

Jerry like many men in his position tend to exaggerate. However I think Jerry is a lot more understanding of what is going on than many think. I agree with Jimmy who said it takes a strong personality when working with Jerry but if you made a good case for why we need to do something to better the team Jerry will listen. Jerry is not just going out on his own to do things

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
823983.jpg

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/n...too-much-optimism-?blockID=943795&feedID=4680
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones talks with son executive vice president Stephen Jones during halftime against the St. Louis Rams at AT&T Stadium. (Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports)
Cowboys infected with too much optimism? Jerry Jones: We're a glass half-full team
JON MACHOTA |
Published: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 5:43pm
spacer.gif

Jerry Jones showed Tuesday another example of how far his optimism can reach.

During the first few minutes of a local radio interview, the Dallas Cowboys owner and general manger seemed to be having a great morning. Then he dropped the news that Pro Bowl defensive end Anthony Spencer is probably facing season-ending knee surgery.

But then Jones went right back to talking about how well defensive coaches Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli have utilized their talent upfront. He sounded nothing like an owner who recently learned he's likely about to be without one of his top 10 players for the remainder of the season.

Former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson said Sunday that the Cowboys have a disease called "optimistic infection." Johnson made the case that the Cowboys think too highly of themselves after wins and the result is usually getting back to reality and suffering a loss the following week.

This has always been Jerry, would have been a great used car salesman !!!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We're 2-1 and Jerry's running around talking as if we've qualified for the playoffs. LOL!

MartinRamone

Reaction score
Well this happens year after year, last year after beating the Giants we thought we were awesome.

Personally until we show some consistency i will be skeptic.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Jerry like many men in his position tend to exaggerate. However I think Jerry is a lot more understanding of what is going on than many think. I agree with Jimmy who said it takes a strong personality when working with Jerry but if you made a good case for why we need to do something to better the team Jerry will listen. Jerry is not just going out on his own to do things

ok

silver

Reaction score
The problem with Jerry is that he's not absolutely clueless. He knows a thing or two about running a professional football team. He's good enough to keep things competitive which leads to mediocrity. We'll be .500 team into oblivion with Jerry manning the ship. What we need is somebody who excels at being a football GM. Jerry has always been a great owner, but a not so great GM.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The problem with Jerry is that he's not absolutely clueless. He knows a thing or two about running a professional football team. He's good enough to keep things competitive which leads to mediocrity. We'll be .500 team into oblivion with Jerry manning the ship. What we need is somebody who excels at being a football GM. Jerry has always been a great owner, but a not so great GM.

I think success comes based on the people he puts around him. Looking at this staff and this scouting department I think Dallas can and will have success. BP liked working for Jerry he liked that the owner\GM has the passion for the game and wants to win key is Jerry hiring good people and listening to them. People can claim Jimmy won the SB alone but Jimmy did not hire Jimmy, Jerry did. Jimmy did not deal with player contracts Jerry did

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Bottom line: how many teams would re-hire Jimmy as HC RIGHT NOW? How many would hire Jerry as GM?? Someone portraying Jimmy as out of touch, or worse incompetent, especially in comparison to Jerry is more than a bit ridiculous.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bottom line: how many teams would re-hire Jimmy as HC RIGHT NOW? How many would hire Jerry as GM?? Someone portraying Jimmy as out of touch, or worse incompetent, especially in comparison to Jerry is more than a bit ridiculous.

I don't disagree Jimmy would be hired if he wanted to get back into coaching. And Jerry would not be someone teams would look to hire as a GM. However when people say we can't win with Jerry that is wrong we already have. People can givn credit as they see fit I'm not going to rag on Jimmy but together they won apart Jimmy time in Miami as both HC\GM was not successful.
Also dealing with the reality yes I think that the Cowboys can win now with Jerry as Owner/GM but the key is as I said hiring quality people and listening to what they feel needs to happen for success.

Currently looking at the Coaching staff and the scouting department I think Dallas can win

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I don't disagree Jimmy would be hired if he wanted to get back into coaching. And Jerry would not be someone teams would look to hire as a GM. However when people say we can't win with Jerry that is wrong we already have. People can givn credit as they see fit I'm not going to rag on Jimmy but together they won apart Jimmy time in Miami as both HC\GM was not successful.
Also dealing with the reality yes I think that the Cowboys can win now with Jerry as Owner/GM but the key is as I said hiring quality people and listening to what they feel needs to happen for success.

Currently looking at the Coaching staff and the scouting department I think Dallas can win

I have no issue with your POV, just the OP and the people supporting him.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Answer is --wait for it ----wait -- Stay on thread ...

aikemirv

Reaction score
Success breeds optimism. Optimism is not a bad thing, it is a good thing. Confidence is absolutely necessary to win. It cannot effect your preparation going into next week. They need to make sure they realize that hard work brought that success and only hard work will make it continue The fact of the matter is that while we may be optimistic most of the time, the team has had no confidence in the past when things start going against them in a game. That is what needs to change. The difference that this team needs to be in the mindset of is to create it's own good luck during a game and respond correctly when things go wrong. They need to be the agressor on defense and not sit back. That killed them in the KC game - we should have been blitzing on that last drive but we laid back. Its not just the players, its coaching as well.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
What exactly was someone supposed to say about Spencer's season-ending surgery? That his absence will doom the team's playoff hopes? They had to say something optimistic.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
You don't have a valid point would be my guess.

I believe he does. Sorry that his view don't jive with yours. My don't jive with yours either. But I won't lose any sleep over it. ;)

jnday

Reaction score
But they did benefit each other. Even players like Aikman have said as much. Jimmy is a great coach but Jimmy never dealt with one single contract in Dallas that was the role of Jerry to deal with the players. It was also Jerry who took the criticism of firing a beloved HC in Landry to hire a college coach in Jimmy but Jerry took the heat. Cowboys success can be contributed to both men and neither did as well when the other was gone.

Jerry does well as an owner, but as a football guy, it went downhill when Jimmy wasn't around to tell him who
I believe he does. Sorry that his view don't jive with yours. My don't jive with yours either. But I won't lose any sleep over it. ;)
I can not remember a single issue where I agreed with you, so I certainly hope you don't lose sleep. I have respect for fans such as yourself, that be wrong all the time and still try to function in this world.