News: Cowboys Insider: Slam the brakes on Rico Gathers

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Right now, I think the practice squad would be the most likely destination.......... lol I dont think you draft him in 6th to put him
on a practice squad so some other team can pick him up at no cost.
It isnt that hard to learn football.
They should be able to use him occasionally this season.

This assumes there's another team who would want to use a roster spot on the guy. If he has as far to go as the article suggests, it's hard to imagine such a team exists.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Screw that. CHAMPIONSHIP! I mean, Antonio Gates brought one to the Chargers didn't he? Hell yeah! Cowboys will be 2016 CHAMPIONS! Wait, or is it 2017? I forget.

brymatt94

Reaction score
Well, it's seems like a 3-4 year project since he has " miles" to go. Tired of these projects like Wilcox, showers, gathers.

Most players drafted after the third round are considered projects. And Showers is an UDFA should they just not sign rookies after the draft because they're projects? Plus rounds 6 and 7 are where you want to take a chance on athleticism over substance, hence Gathers.

silver

Reaction score
Hopefully this dude can block some field goals. That's all I want from him. And could he be better suited at DE? We certainly have a major hole there.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Most players drafted after the third round are considered projects. And Showers is an UDFA should they just not sign rookies after the draft because they're projects? Plus rounds 6 and 7 are where you want to take a chance on athleticism over substance, hence Gathers.

Sorry I was referring to projects as in converting players from one position to another or from one sport to another.
No thats silly, of course they should sign rookies after the draft lol lol. But I'd rather sign UDFAs like Coe or Collins who played the same position throughout college rather than convert running backs into safeties or basketball players into tight ends, or rugby players into NFL running backs.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sorry I was referring to projects as in converting players from one position to another or from one sport to another.

No thats silly, of course they should sign rookies after the draft lol lol. But I'd rather sign UDFAs like Coe or Collins who played the same position throughout college rather than convert running backs into safeties or basketball players into tight ends, or rugby players into NFL running backs.

To think, Bob Hayes was nothing more than a track star...

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Like Jason Witten being converted from DE to TE?

giphy.gif

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, it's seems like a 3-4 year project since he has " miles" to go. Tired of these projects like Wilcox, showers, gathers.

Ok I get Wilcox since he was a much higher pick but why are you "tired" of Showers or Gathers when one was a 6th round pick and the other wasn't even drafted lol?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Like Jason Witten being converted from DE to TE?

giphy.gif

No not so much. Witten played both linebacker and tight end in highschool. He started as a defensive player as a freshman but was quickly moved to tight end mid way through his freshman year and in his sophomore year full time tight end. But Witten has played tight end since his high school days. I mean guys who spend the majority of their athletic years playing one sport then switching to another or a majority of their highschool and college career playing one position then switching to another. The last time the Cowboys managed that successfully was with Woodson I believe.

brymatt94

Reaction score

Okay I understand your view. I guess the way I see it is that toward the lower rounds most of those players are wild cards. Sometimes extreme levels of athleticism can turn into something really great.