News: Cowboys Insider: Slam the brakes on Rico Gathers

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Well, it's seems like a 3-4 year project since he has " miles" to go. Tired of these projects like Wilcox, showers, gathers.

I say it takes 2 offseasons to become a good route runner receiver. The long development will be the blocking. They'll work with him all season and he'll really make a push next year.

Swanny

Reaction score
Cowboys Insider: Slam the brakes on Rico Gathers
http://thelandryhat.com/2016/06/29/cowboys-insider-slam-the-brakes-on-rico-gathers/

Dallas Cowboys insider and ESPN writer Todd Archer warns fans to temper their expectations when it comes to former basketball player turned rookie tight end Rico Gathers.

With their final selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys selected a basketball player. Yes, you read that right. Baylor power forward Rico Gathers to be more specific.

Although Gathers hadn’t played organized football since the eighth grade, the Cowboys opted to use a sixth round selection on him simply based on his size and potential alone. And the former Mr. Basketball out of Louisiana has plenty of both.

Measuring in at a whopping 6’6″ and weighing 273 pounds, Gathers was a tenacious rebounder at Baylor, averaging 11.4 points and 9.1 rebounds per game during his final year with the Bears. The 22-year old is hoping his aggressiveness, body control and timing will translate over and make him a big time red zone target for quarterback Tony Romo.

But for fans thinking the Cowboys drafted the next Antonio Gates, one Cowboys insider warns that you should really temper your expectations for this very raw developmental player.

“Since you said five tight ends, I’m assuming you have Rico Gathers on the roster. I would say to anybody who feels that way to not just tap the brakes but slam on them,” ESPN’s Todd Archer recently responded to a Twitter question. “He has miles to go. Miles. He is athletic but he doesn’t know what he’s doing yet. In organized team activities and minicamp, he took only a few team snaps. Right now, I think the practice squad would be the most likely destination…”
I haven't applied the gas. So no brake tapping needed

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even though he was a 4th round pick and hasn't played a down of football? Sometimes I can't tell if its hyperbole if you guys are keeping up a gimmick.

Did you like any of our picks?

Why? They haven't played a down yet.

It's called having an opinion.

FaSho

Reaction score
I hope he turns into something, but I wouldn't count on it. Haven't had much luck with projects around here. I.E. Wilcox, Obada, Stanback

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They take way too many chances in the last few rounds. Projects all the way around. Instead of drafting a player that may just add some depth and truly will develop into a solid player / starter. Ins tead of swinging for the fences and striking out, I sure would just like a single or double to produce something a little later.

When Stephen Jones made the comment about they usually like to use the 7th round for such type of players, but didn't have any picks in the 7th, so they used the 6th round for that this year....***?
What kind of logic is that..screwed up logic. So all the 6th rounds this past darft should be considered UDFA / 7th round types that they hope work out, and just stick them on the PS if not.

Used to be when a 12 round draft the mid rounds 5 to 8, you could find a decent player, now a 4 to 7 is considered a project......:huh:

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
I never had my foot on the gas peddle. No need to slam on the brakes.

same here, always considered him a project. At the spot he was drafted that is about right. I think the FO had in their mind he was a project as well. put him on the practice squad and develop him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well they dont have to "develop" him to use him in games lol.
He could come in the game strictly to go out for a pass. Then tony has a tall target.
If play is changed to a run, he blocks the best he can.

He isnt going to be a full time TE or a run play TE, those jobs are filled by witten and hanna.
Therefore you only have to teach him enough to find open spot and be a target.
His size should help him.
If he can catch a football he could be used this year.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
This really is breaking news and a valuable insight that only a true Cowboy Insider could possess. Thank you for your service, Todd Archer.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
All it will take is one good catch in a preseason game and that foot will go from brake to gas real quick for most of us. Why? Because we are fans and we want to believe and it is fun to root for an underdog. I think he has one or two kids so he needs to feed his family . Good luck to him and I hope he makes the team and does well for the Cowboys. It would be a good story and he will be one of those I hope does well. As a fan driving in my not-for-real NFL car, what fun is tapping the brakes?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Okay I understand your view. I guess the way I see it is that toward the lower rounds most of those players are wild cards. Sometimes extreme levels of athleticism can turn into something really great.

Yeah and i understand your view as well. Thats whats great about the forum, we can all have different views and stil be great cowboy fans. Have a good july 4th holiday!