News: Cowboys: Jerry Jones is responsible for the debacle in Big D

Brax

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Jerry Jones is responsible for the debacle in Big D
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/10/29/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-responsible-debacle/

*(Want to call a card a card? First off, handle this topic with respect and as an adult fan...not a bunch of burn barrel buddies supporting a more important ripple socializing. One might also try reading the OP article...)

Jerry Jones is responsible for what has plagued the Cowboys for nearly 25 years. And why Dallas essentially a .500 team during that time. Jerry has excelled at selling the brand of the Dallas Cowboys. In the process he has made millions for the NFL and his fellow owners.

Is it really a stretch that Jones entered the Hall of Fame on his ability to print money, as opposed to putting a sustained, winning product on the field? His teams haven’t advanced beyond the divisional round since their last Super Bowl win in 1995.

To understand why there has been such an extended period of mediocrity, let’s dive into the past to see just how much it affected the future. It all began with the bitter Jimmy Johnson divorce and culminated with the hiring Garrett...
Even Jerry knows he sucks and should be fired, shame he didn't do it. yes Jerry is responsible for the debacle in Big D even he knows it. To believe otherwise is delusional.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/11/04/jerry-jones-fire-self-general-manager/1682333/

CPanther95

Reaction score
Some more stats to chew on.

Since we last won a SB:

- 3 playoff wins
- 6 division titles in 22 years
- 8 playoff appearances in 22 years
- Zero champ game appearances
- Zero SB appearances

But other than that............ yeah Jerry did a fantastic job.

Is not all bad. Back then, the leading internet service provider was AOL and they were charging $2.95 ...

an HOUR!

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Naw, that is just a label that you find easy to soothe one's own disappointment. Since the lock out, the offensive and defensive lines have continually been a priority. Prove other wise...with facts and who were acquired.

I provided you with what was actually stated by Jerry as to why his response was as it had been given.

Accept that or not is now yours...“I'd say after seven games it's fair to say that we weren't getting the job done to the standard."

Jerry Jones provides reasoning for #DallasCowboys offensive line coaching situation.

With the addition of Amari Cooper, the #DallasCowboys have now added 26 players that were once drafted in the top
1f51f.png
Bottom line is have the Cowboys been consistently relevant or consistently Champions? I rest my case on Jerry "jocks and socks GM" Jones priorities.

Big_D

Reaction score
jimmy did....not jj

weird that some downplay the contribution from the actual coach to build up this POS. Like Jerry had anything to do with scheme or preparation?!! Laughable. His greatest achievement in those early years was staying out of the way and letting the coach actually coach. Jimmy was fully in charge of that football team until Jerry tried to weasel his way into the roster decisions. Which ultimately pushed Johnson out the door.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Tell us how bad Jerry is...as with Sydla, I bet you hit the very same stereotypes, with your chosen stance.
He runs 'your' team, and you buy into that?
We don't have to buy into anything to believe he only cares about the wealth it brings him. All we have to do is look at how he's run the team as GM. Then look at what the owner said about the GM. That he would fire the GM if it were anybody but himself. That speaks volumes about what matters to him. Winning his way and only his way. And he seems to be ok if he never manages to do it. Guess those are the facts you would call a stereotype.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Bottom line is have the Cowboys been consistently relevant or consistently Champions? I rest my case on Jerry "jocks and socks GM" Jones priorities.
No, the bottom line is that all the similarly dominant teams along with the Cowboys...all dropped out of the picture and had to return to top levels and playoffs. The sole exception in today's game, is New England.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
No, the bottom line is that all the similarly dominant teams along with the Cowboys...all dropped out of the picture and had to return to top levels and playoffs. The sole exception in today's game, is New England.
No since 1995 Pittsburgh, New England, NY Giants, Carolina, Denver, Seattle, Greenbay, Atlanta, San Francisco, and Baltimore have all been to the Super Bowl at least twice. Since 1995, the Cowboys have not got out the divisional round of the playoffs, had 3 in a row 5-11 seasons, 3 in a row 8-8 seasons, 3 6-10 seasons, and a 4-12 season as recent as 2014. That is Jerry's World and the Dallas Jonesboys.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No since 1995 Pittsburgh, New England, NY Giants, Carolina, Denver, Seattle, Greenbay, Atlanta, San Francisco, and Baltimore have all been to the Super Bowl at least twice. Since 1995, the Cowboys have not got out the divisional round of the playoffs, had 3 in a row 5-11 seasons, 3 in a row 8-8 seasons, 3 6-10 seasons, and a 4-12 season as recent as 2014. That is Jerry's World and the Dallas Jonesboys.

Look, you are screening purely to be able to rag on the Cowboys...I paint a picture of a commode and present a positive picture or negative as chosen of that. Doesn't really mean much if one goes by the turn of events once the Dallas Cowboys started to turn things around following the lock out. Hey, if you want to paint nothing but crap...that is on YOU.

Been to, now who WON? Your stated level of acceptance...still doesn't present any picture that justifies a Cowboy fan doing nothing but complaining and trolling.

You evaded my statement like a heat seeking missile to crap...how long was it before Pittsburgh, Green Bay, even Atlanta went with a draught in their playoff arena? Present a complete picture and quit trying to cheery pick gloom.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas Cowboys: Jerry Jones is responsible for the debacle in Big D
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/10/29/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-responsible-debacle/

*(Want to call a card a card? First off, handle this topic with respect and as an adult fan...not a bunch of burn barrel buddies supporting a more important ripple socializing. One might also try reading the OP article...)

Jerry Jones is responsible for what has plagued the Cowboys for nearly 25 years. And why Dallas essentially a .500 team during that time. Jerry has excelled at selling the brand of the Dallas Cowboys. In the process he has made millions for the NFL and his fellow owners.

Is it really a stretch that Jones entered the Hall of Fame on his ability to print money, as opposed to putting a sustained, winning product on the field? His teams haven’t advanced beyond the divisional round since their last Super Bowl win in 1995.

To understand why there has been such an extended period of mediocrity, let’s dive into the past to see just how much it affected the future. It all began with the bitter Jimmy Johnson divorce and culminated with the hiring Garrett...

If the Landry Hat was had a physical office, I would burn it down.

Sydla

Reaction score
Look, you are screening purely to be able to rag on the Cowboys...I paint a picture of a commode and present a positive picture or negative as chosen of that. Doesn't really mean much if one goes by the turn of events once the Dallas Cowboys started to turn things around following the lock out. Hey, if you want to paint nothing but crap...that is on YOU.

Been to, now who WON? Your stated level of acceptance...still doesn't present any picture that justifies a Cowboy fan doing nothing but complaining and trolling.

You evaded my statement like a heat seeking missile to crap...how long was it before Pittsburgh, Green Bay, even Atlanta went with a draught in their playoff arena? Present a complete picture and quit trying to cheery pick gloom.

The Cowboys have not turned things around since the lock out. Since the lockout in the summer of 2011, the Cowboys have made the playoffs twice in 7 seasons and season records have run the gamut.

For comparison sake - Steelers (5 out of 7 seasons), Packers (6 out of those 7 seasons), Falcons (4 out of the 7 seasons).

eromeopolk

Reaction score

You are what you are. Don't blame me. Jerry fired Jimmy. Jerry did not draft Randy Moss. Jerry traded 2 no.1 picks for a WR that never made the Pro Bowl. Jerry ran off Parcells. Jerry traded for a WR from a 0-16 team. Jerry let Jason Garrett learn on the job and go to the World Series with 3-4 team after trading a no.1 pick for a WR from a 1-7 team.

Do not blame me for telling the truth. All those teams have been to the Super Bowl twice and made it out of the divisional round of the playoffs more than 3 times. The difference is those teams and the Cowboys is that they do not have Jerry Jones pretending to be Al Davis as owner, GM and Head Coach.

I am not a young Cowboy fan. I remember Cowboys excellence of 18 straight playoff years, 20 years in a row +.500 football. We went through the senile Landry years 1986-1988 knowing the Jimmy Johnson was going to give Cowboys fans back to yearly playoffs and Super Bowl runs. But 2 Super Bowls in a row was not good enough for Jerry Jones ego to take a back seat.

So if 6-10, then 3 years of 8-8 in a row, 12-4, 4-12, 13-3, and now 3-4 is what you feel is Cowboys football, then that's good for you, but unacceptable for me.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Parcells surprisingly lasted four years with the Cowboys, despite Jones’s insistence in bringing in locker room cancer at wide receiver, Terrell Owens. Parcells drafted defensive end DeMarcus Ware, one of the best defenders to ever suit up in Cowboy uniform. He also signed a little known undrafted free agent in quarterback Tony Romo.​

One paragraph, pretty much everything wrong.

1) TO made the offense go, 2006-2008. The loss to the Giants would have been different with a healthy TO. TO was a good signing, and delivered for Parcells in 2006, despite Parcells being a doofus about it. "The Player".
2) Jerry wanted Ware, Parcells wanted Spears. And then Carpenter the following year.
3) Tony was brought in by Payton, another Easter Illinois alum.

Also, totally glosses over Garrett as HC in waiting, under Wade but hired before him, which handicapped Wade as the HC. He was DC, and HC in name only. Note that this would have *contributed* to the author's point.

"Phillips should have been dismissed after such a result." Meaning the playoff loss to the Giants in 2007.

1st season as HC of the Cowboys, Wade brings us our best regular season since 92, first Div round playoff game since 96, and the author says he should have been fired.

I've read enough. Everybody knows Jerry has been a problem. But this article just gets too much wrong.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not overly surprised by the failure of this front office to live up to the quality of the distant past.

There has been a lingering tendency for some time now to routinely overestimate our talent level.

The Joneses have a way of getting too emotionally involved with their players. Never a good idea.

Looking at your team's players more as fans than employees just isn't a good business procedure.

Last edited:

rynochop

Reaction score
Geez, complaining about Jerry is like complaining about the weather..he's not selling the team, get used to it