News: Cowboys: Jerry Jones is responsible for the debacle in Big D

Sydla

Reaction score
Perspective? How about doing a cross section which parallels the growth of the present Cowboys...over the past 10 seasons. Care to reappraise and look into it?

11 teams have made a NFC Champ game appearance in last 10 seasons - Atlanta, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Seattle, GB, Arizona, Chicago, Carolina, Giants, New Orleans, San Fran.

Yeah, your shortened window makes it look a lot better.

Sydla

Reaction score
This logic is asinine.

Jerry gets no credit because Jimmy was the cause of those SB teams is basically how it goes. If Jimmy causes SB then how do you explain his performance in Miami with multiple HoF on the roster? Why cannot we use your same logic here and say that Jimmy cannot win SB without Jerry?

The reality is that neither is true and both deserve credit. Neither has done squat without the other. To me that says that Jerry can win SB if he has the right coach for the job just Jimmy can with the right GM.

Point out where I said Jerry gets zero credit for being part of those SBs.

I said it was a collaborative effort elsewhere in this thread.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Point out where I said Jerry gets zero credit for being part of those SBs.

I said it was a collaborative effort elsewhere in this thread.

Read the post I quoted. You even went so far to say you gave him too much credit. The rest is a carbon copy of the same tired old logic.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Prove it. In the past decade...
Well here's a site that has team win percentages since 2003, so 15 years.
Only one team (Patriots of course) has a winning percentage more than 10% greater than the Cowboys'. 3/4 of all teams fall in the .400-.600 range.

Big_D

Reaction score
Jerry sucks and the only credit he gets is actually hiring a quality coach in the first place. Other than that he wasn't calling the shots on that roster the way he is today. Funny how people carry on like coaching is meaningless. Today's team makes it pretty apparent it is not.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Colombo and Houck are man blocking guys ... Alexander and Callahan zone blocking guys

Good, I don't think reverting will hurt any of the current linemen...and probably will simplify lateral movements a good deal. Heck, the change will probably stabilize our 'rook' more.

Defensively, is it easier to bull rush a lineman protecting a hole or a body?

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well here's a site that has team win percentages since 2003, so 15 years.
Only one team (Patriots of course) has a winning percentage more than 10% greater than the Cowboys'. 3/4 of all teams fall in the .400-.600 range.

Good job, and that shows that Dallas, over the past 15 seasons, which overlaps pre Parcells, is at number 10 in the NFL in actual wins.

CCBoy

Reaction score
A true GM will not take a vacation the 1st week of free agency, no matter how you spin it.
On Monday, the team informed offensive line coach Paul Alexander that he can add the word former to that title, showing him the door just seven games in his Cowboys’ career. And while everyone was hating on ol’ “Red Ball” for being at the World Series in Los Angeles, apparently he was pulling a fast one.

Exit Paul Alexander. Enter Marc Columbo and (really) Hudson Houck on his third tour of duty with the Dallas Cowboys. Houck, who lives in Los Angeles, will act as a consultant to Columbo who gets his first promotion as the new offensive line coach.
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/10/30/dallas-cowboys-bye-week-makeover/

Sure you aren't just hating on Jerry?

Sydla

Reaction score
Read the post I quoted. You even went so far to say you gave him too much credit. The rest is a carbon copy of the same tired old logic.

I read the post and nowhere does it say he gets zero credit. In fact used words like tandem and partnership to describe the period with Johnson.

The part about giving him too much credit was in reference to the period since the SB in 95. Over the next 22 years the Cowboys had only 3 playoff wins. I initially thought it was 5 wins but I overstated their playoff success over that period.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I read the post and nowhere does it say he gets zero credit. In fact used words like tandem and partnership to describe the period with Johnson.

The part about giving him too much credit was in reference to the period since the SB in 95. Over the next 22 years the Cowboys had only 3 playoff wins. I initially thought it was 5 wins but I overstated their playoff success over that period.

then do you have a point other than trying to heap blame onto one person using the aforementioned logic?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
On Monday, the team informed offensive line coach Paul Alexander that he can add the word former to that title, showing him the door just seven games in his Cowboys’ career. And while everyone was hating on ol’ “Red Ball” for being at the World Series in Los Angeles, apparently he was pulling a fast one.

Exit Paul Alexander. Enter Marc Columbo and (really) Hudson Houck on his third tour of duty with the Dallas Cowboys. Houck, who lives in Los Angeles, will act as a consultant to Columbo who gets his first promotion as the new offensive line coach.

I just checked on my truck and a bird pooped on it...
JOOOOOOOOOONES!!!

Vomit

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Jerry Jones is responsible for the debacle in Big D
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/10/29/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-responsible-debacle/

*(Want to call a card a card? First off, handle this topic with respect and as an adult fan...not a bunch of burn barrel buddies supporting a more important ripple socializing. One might also try reading the OP article...)

Jerry Jones is responsible for what has plagued the Cowboys for nearly 25 years. And why Dallas essentially a .500 team during that time. Jerry has excelled at selling the brand of the Dallas Cowboys. In the process he has made millions for the NFL and his fellow owners.

Is it really a stretch that Jones entered the Hall of Fame on his ability to print money, as opposed to putting a sustained, winning product on the field? His teams haven’t advanced beyond the divisional round since their last Super Bowl win in 1995.

To understand why there has been such an extended period of mediocrity, let’s dive into the past to see just how much it affected the future. It all began with the bitter Jimmy Johnson divorce and culminated with the hiring Garrett...
Yep. I've been barking about "Manager" JJ since he scairt Parcells out of town. Mediocrity thy name is Dallas.

Last edited:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Jerry Jones to Cowboys fans:

tumblr_o1xsy9O4C11rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Jerry Jones is responsible for the debacle in Big D
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/10/29/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-responsible-debacle/

*(Want to call a card a card? First off, handle this topic with respect and as an adult fan...not a bunch of burn barrel buddies supporting a more important ripple socializing. One might also try reading the OP article...)

Jerry Jones is responsible for what has plagued the Cowboys for nearly 25 years. And why Dallas essentially a .500 team during that time. Jerry has excelled at selling the brand of the Dallas Cowboys. In the process he has made millions for the NFL and his fellow owners.

Is it really a stretch that Jones entered the Hall of Fame on his ability to print money, as opposed to putting a sustained, winning product on the field? His teams haven’t advanced beyond the divisional round since their last Super Bowl win in 1995.

To understand why there has been such an extended period of mediocrity, let’s dive into the past to see just how much it affected the future. It all began with the bitter Jimmy Johnson divorce and culminated with the hiring Garrett...
yeah yeah yeah JJ is the anti christ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

silver

Reaction score

No. I just think he hires bad coaches half the time. Overall he misses on about half of his decisions. For every Paul Alexander there's a Kris Richard. For every Joey Galloway there's a Terry Glenn. And he'll never be a football guy regardless of how many years he owns the team. It's not in his DNA to spend all nighters analyzing film like other GM's do. Do you think the GM of the Rams, Falcons, Eagles or Packers was at the Bahamas at the start of free agency this year?

Reactions: BAT

waving monkey

Reaction score
The narrative [I hate that term] of JJones drove Jimmy out of Dallas isn't accurate.I and several others
have shown what happened but that's not satisfactory for those who hate JJones.

Landry had no love for Jerry Jones and Jerry could have handled the legend's firing better. Landry needed top go.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only credit I would give Jerry for the 90's titles is he bought the team and hired his college roommate to build and coach it. That's it. He was the same empty vessel he is now as a football guy.

He tried this same route after Jimmy and it turns out he didn't have any more friends from college that happened to be all time great head coaches.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No. I just think he hires bad coaches half the time. Overall he misses on about half of his decisions. For every Paul Alexander there's a Kris Richard. For every Joey Galloway there's a Terry Glenn. And he'll never be a football guy regardless of how many years he owns the team. It's not in his DNA to spend all nighters analyzing film like other GM's do. Do you think the GM of the Rams, Falcons, Eagles or Packers was at the Bahamas at the start of free agency this year?

I'm not on a witch hunt here...just discussing the subject, Jerry Jones. Your statement is fair...thanks.