Cowboys Joes Analysis of Game

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Sorry havent been posting last few days, still moving, and just about got it all done, but dont have internet, tv, water, and phone hooked up yet. So, have to do posting when I have time to post elsewhere. Should be settled in by next monday for sure. Congrats to the 2 new moderators, you deserved it guys.

Now on to my analysis of the game.

This is the type of game in my estimation that brings a team together, true leadership works, and even though a sloppy game, its the type of game that you win building confidence, while certain players work through errors and produce.

First we will discuss Tony Romo, who finally has arrived, but basically showed that last game against the 49ers, when Romo gutted it out and played with pain to help win the game. That in itself, showed the players who the true leader was on this team, which the QB must be that leader. What you saw in the Cowboys Commanders game was the further development of Tony Romo taking the next step in leadership. By that I mean, (and yeah I will probably hear some people that relays to his golf stuff in offseaon, or wearing his cap on straight or yelling at his teammates), when Romo chewed on teammates during the game, even in Romo's press conference, we all saw where Romo said players were getting yelled at by Romo and coaches, but they fought through. Thats the mark of leadership, getting in a players face, while your hurt yourself, and making that player step up.

Not once during Romo's press conference did I hear Tony talk about golf, not once. This is dallas cowboys football and wins, nothing else matters period. Got that golf lovers?

Wearing your cap on straight, really doesnt mean anything, expect that your focused and ready for the game and questions after the game, which is something that Romo needed to be aware of and focused on in certain situations. Last time I have seen great QB leaders like Roger Staubach, Bradshaw, Aikman, and Brady, they are focused during the game and after the game, it isnt just fun to them, but a way of life and they are determined to get things fixed for the next game with all the erros cowboys players had, even romo pointed to this during his post game remarks.

Forget Ogletree, this guy is not focused and learned, when your star elite QB now has to get on a player that has been in league 3 years now, its time to move on. Give Robinson WR a chance, or go get another WR, you have to keep sending that message to the team, that your not going to put up with mental mistakes and lack of attitude like Ogletree shows.

Yes, I posted Costa podcast remarks awhile earlier this morning with podcast from Gurode giving Costa some points, so go look for that.

This is the type of game I love, dont know why Hos needs tums, I loved this game all except the dumb ref calls and errors by the Cowboys.

I dont know why the refs were calling holding calls on us, but not the Commanders, when obvious they were holding and tackling, thats just stupid on the refs parts. Thats why I have said over and over, I want a NFL Ref league where the refs are made accountable and they are basically on same page. Just like when our wr was layed out, with a delay hit, but when ball hit a Commander player foul. For cotton picking crying out loud, that STINKS from the refs, sure looked like favortism to me. I agree with Ware, I would be pissed off too. I dont want to see those refs covering any more of our games at all, PERIOD!

Finally, we got a running game going, and Felix played tough too with that shoulder injury, but thats what key players do. Finally, some leaders are stepping up.

Like Hos said, all those fans that hollered at the cowboys drafting Lee, eat your crow.

Brooking is getting to old now, I loved him when he played first couple of years, but I am starting to feel that age is showing up on him big time.

Hats off to Romo, bailey (you had better get yourself ready to play beuhler or your looking at a new job somewhere), Lee, Felix, Witten, Ware and Spencer.

This team is showing grit, and why is that, due to leaders I mentioned above and tough style coaching of Jason Garrett.

Fixing to post jerry jones recap.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4145303 said:
Not once during Romo's press conference did I hear Tony talk about golf, not once. This is dallas cowboys football and wins, nothing else matters period. Got that golf lovers?

Wearing your cap on straight, really doesnt mean anything, expect that your focused and ready for the game and questions after the game, which is something that Romo needed to be aware of and focused on in certain situations. Last time I have seen great QB leaders like Roger Staubach, Bradshaw, Aikman, and Brady, they are focused during the game and after the game, it isnt just fun to them, but a way of life and they are determined to get things fixed for the next game with all the erros cowboys players had, even romo pointed to this during his post game remarks.

So, wearing your cap backwards would mean he wasn't focused and ready for the game or questions after the game? Wow.

Does Romo ever talk about golf in a presser after a game? I kind of doubt it. I'm sure that only happens in the off season.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4145303 said:
First we will discuss Tony Romo, who finally has arrived, but basically showed that last game against the 49ers, when Romo gutted it out and played with pain to help win the game.
Welcome to 2006.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
cowboyjoe;4145303 said:
First we will discuss Tony Romo, who finally has arrived

:rolleyes:

Anyone without an agenda knows Tony has always been the same guy.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
zrinkill;4145318 said:

No, not an agenda, read my lips, Romo has finally arrived as an elite type leadership QB, Now, jerry jones said lets not go there yet, till we win a superbowl, but you can mark it down, romo has taken those steps now to being elite. Now, some more players need to keep stepping up too.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;4145317 said:
Welcome to 2006.

Understand about 2006, but romo is a totally different player than he was in 2006. Best I remember romo said last yr, he didnt feel this was his team because of T O. Romo has taken those baby steps I have been preaching about over and over. Finally, elite time has arrived. Granted more players have to step up too, like felix playing hurt and producing, spencer coming through finally with that big time play at end of game, and ware, getting pissed off at holding and tackling, and saying enough is enough, I will just go through the player and make a play and ware did. And we finally have a very good defenive coordinator that is firing up our defensive players. Finally, things are falling into place. Keep in mind though, sometimes during football games, you come to the fork in the road, cowboys havent gotten there.

I view this team right now, like in 91, best i remember, when jimmy johson said those losing days are over and you wont have those type of games anymore. Jason Garrett is sending that message loud and clear, just like I have preached and preached about sending that message, and somie of you let me have it.

But the message is being sent loud and clear, by Jason Garret, Tony Romo to the players get your head in the game, Felix playing hurt, and spencer stepping up.

Romo has arrived finally, in my estimation, and will only get better, because team is also believing in each other and playing as a team.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;4145315 said:
So, wearing your cap backwards would mean he wasn't focused and ready for the game or questions after the game? Wow.

Does Romo ever talk about golf in a presser after a game? I kind of doubt it. I'm sure that only happens in the off season.

Wearing cap sideways, backwards, isnt an issue with me, never has been, but what I am trying to point to, when your in media pressers after game, and your cap is on straight, your focused basically, because your conscious of media looking at you and interviewing you, so you want to be your best and represent your team. If you wearing your cap sideways or backwards, to a large degree, you stating you dont really care about how your dressed or representing your team, and your not totally focused, but dont take that out of text. Or make a big issue out of it. Some football players wear their cap backwards to just bug the media or look different or go to their own tune.

I am more old school football, thats just the way you should do it. Let me ask you this question, I have seen Head Coach Jason Garrett wear a cap in media interviews, representing the dallas cowboy as head coach. What if jason garrret walked in with his cap sideways or backwards. What would you say then? Get my drift?
The golf thing is a joke or whatever you want to call it with me, Hos and zrinkill.

Granted, I live, eat, and brethe dallas cowboys football. I dont care about golf, but again, romo didnt mention golf during the presser, he mentioned winning, W's, and fixing mental errors, you just cant have that. Romo has arrived, and you can mark it down. Now, keep in mind, jerry said, lets dont got there yet, labeling romo elite qb yet till a superbowl is won.

:starspin

StarWiz2

Reaction score
I'm with Jerry on this one. And very good, well-thought out analysis Joe. I enjoyed reading it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4145378 said:
Romo has arrived finally, in my estimation, and will only get better, because team is also believing in each other and playing as a team.
Yet in the estimation of professional football players and coaches on his own team he has always been here.

Good job on your analysis. Hope the next time you try it you actually get it right from the beginning. 5 years late is kind of sad.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;4145497 said:
Yet in the estimation of professional football players and coaches on his own team he has always been here.

Good job on your analysis. Hope the next time you try it you actually get it right from the beginning. 5 years late is kind of sad.

Thanks, romo has always been here, but in my estimation romo is a totally different player then he was in 2006. Why?
1.Romo says he didnt feel this is his team, when T O was here.

2. Was Romo married in 2006? No, now tony is and settled down, matured more.

3. Rememer romo's remarks about leadership a few years back, totally different then romo's remarks now.

4. Romo said last year that he would yell at players on sidelines, etc, but we dont see it. Now, we see romo yelling at players when they mess up on the field. Did Aikman or Roger wait to yell at players on sidelines? No! They let the players have it on the field and said, we must fix those errors now, just like Jason Garrett emphasis.

Old saying, players take on the personality of the head coach. To me, some last few years since 2007, tony took on the personality as well as some players personality of good ole wade. Now, players are taking on personality of Jason Garrett, our head coach and Rob Ryan our defensive coordinator.

So, Romo has evolved and taken those baby steps that I have preached about over and over. Just like you said Hos, more players must step up to, but players will do that even more, when they see your star leader, the QB lead too.

Romo has evolved and elite now in my estimation. Was the talent level there in 2006? Yes! But totally more mature, evolved elite QB now in Tony Romo. Just like when romo said, why dont you ask candice my wife, she is in the back there. Hi, Candice!

More mature, and leader moreso then in 2006 and when this team was T O's team basically in 2006, like romo said a few years back.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
zrinkill;4145318 said:

I don't remember Tony ever barking at players like he was on Monday and even in the San Fran game. Play on the field after the ball is snapped, yep, same Tony.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Joe Rod;4145547 said:
I don't remember Tony ever barking at players like he was on Monday and even in the San Fran game. Play on the field after the ball is snapped, yep, same Tony.

thanks buddy, maybe zrinkill will get it. Its not i have an agenda with romo, i have said over and over, romo needed to take some baby steps towards being elite. In my estimation, last 2 games, romo has done that. Now, romo sees that and has evolved. Yet, like hos has said too, other players must step up too, and they are. But romo is a totally different player now, then in years past, while maturing and learning as a player. Takes time to become an elite player, you just dont do it overnight.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4145560 said:
thanks buddy, maybe zrinkill will get it. Its not i have an agenda with romo, i have said over and over, romo needed to take some baby steps towards being elite. In my estimation, last 2 games, romo has done that. Now, romo sees that and has evolved. Yet, like hos has said too, other players must step up too, and they are. But romo is a totally different player now, then in years past, while maturing and learning as a player. Takes time to become an elite player, you just dont do it overnight.

:laugh2:

No problem. I enjoy Zrin's postings more than most on this forum, but I think he and other folks were thinking more along the lines of Romo when he has the football in his hands rather than what he is doing in between snaps.

I normally watch games with a bunch of different fans (mostly Panthers fans) and they have been astonished at how much more vocal Romo is this year. It is a welcome change in my humble opinion.

ddh33

Reaction score
Actually, Romo's remarks about leadership haven't changed at all. He has just grown into it - just like he said he would.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hostile;4145497 said:

:laugh2:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
cowboyjoe;4145560 said:
maybe zrinkill will get it.

I am not the one who needs to get it.

4 months ago you were claiming Romo cares more about Golf than football .... now you suddenly want to jump on board along with JFE?

Sorry not buying it.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
zrinkill;4145625 said:
I am not the one who needs to get it.

4 months ago you were claiming Romo cares more about Golf than football .... now you suddenly want to jump on board along with JFE?

Sorry not buying it.

Go back and read some of my posts when romo got married, when romo lead the offseason workouts, i said woohoo!

Along with some other stuff, and read my lips, jerry jones said let not label romo elite like a brady or aikman, till romo wins a superbowl, or go there yet. I say though romo is elite now, and superbowl is just a matter of time now, and go back and read what tim mac.... said on romos leadership etc... in link above.
http://www.1660espn.com/includes/new...mmacmahon2.mp3
part 2

Now, romo gets it and realizes that he is 31 and possibly not to much time left, etc... Romo has matured now and finally taken all baby steps he needs to take, elite time now.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
cowboyjoe;4145636 said:
when romo lead the offseason workouts, i said woohoo! .

Actually you complained about how long it took and that Romo was only partly leading them.

Shall I post the links?