CFZ Cowboys Linebackers Unit - Any concerns?

Amarillofan82

Reaction score
Definitely has me a bit concerned. We do have a lot of players who can move around and play hybrid LB's though. Still think our 2nd round pick should have been used or traded for a better LB option. Only pick in draft I am still not sold on is the TE.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The key to the LB room is Damone Clark. Clark plays beside LVE, and if LVE goes down Clark moves to the MLB. The group overall is very young, and these guys have to mature on the field. Cox n Harper have had injuries slow their development, so getting them back going should help depth. There's potential at LB they just have to develop.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Don’t be surprised if we have another Barr type of signing prior to camp at the position. They do need to add another veteran to the group
I can see that. I read how lve is helping and teaching Clark. Clark said he’s been like a big brother since he’s come into the league. I have a feeling Clark will take a big leap this season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I can see that. I read how lve is helping and teaching Clark. Clark said he’s been like a big brother since he’s come into the league. I have a feeling Clark will take a big leap this season.
To be fair with Clark he didn't have an entire offseason to develop, they just threw him in the fire. Still think they could use a low cost veteran to compete to become the starter at the other linebacker position.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Absolutely there are concerns. LVE has been up and down since his first year. Hopefully he plays like he did last year (I think he will). Clark has potential but we need to see it play out via results and hopefully a full training camp will make him look like he is more aware of what his responsibilities are. Cox and Overshown are right now just guys with quickness and who were good in college who have yet to do anything in the NFL. To assume either of those has a significant impact this year is probably assuming a little too much. You did leave off Micah though. He will be playing some LB and hopefully a little more than expected on early downs. Overshown seems to be getting the typical rookie play on here and people are just assuming he is going to not only be good but be good year 1. I hope he is a player, but I'll tap the brakes until he at least puts shoulder pads on.

Jarntt

Reaction score
All depends on that DL. Can the DT's clog the middle and make it easier for the LB's not to have to deal with OL?
Very good point. I'm not sure it alleviates potential "concerns" but it could make poor LB play serviceable and average LB play really good.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What I am reading between the lines about how he takes a step forward and a step back and seeing him make a couple plays when he does get snaps is that he does a poor job in the class room. How that manifests exactly I don't know but it is clear they do not trust Cox.

LVE has no catchup speed but he does have decent quickness and now he is over his neck surgery he is taking on blocks again like a champ. He is what he is and is a fine LB.

Clark is the key. If he can step up and learn his keys and get a little bit of coverage instincts and he could be a real difference maker. He is undoubtedly strong, fast, quick, and willing.

After that it is depth because our base is a big nickel. Overshown was a need pick but we have him. Harper and Cox round out the roster. It's kind of thin but one of those three cannot be much worse than we got from LB2 last season.

Compare that with the Eagles who lost two starting LB to FA and replaced them with a big bowl of nothing.

quickccc

Reaction score
What I am reading between the lines about how he takes a step forward and a step back and seeing him make a couple plays when he does get snaps is that he does a poor job in the class room. How that manifests exactly I don't know but it is clear they do not trust Cox.

LVE has no catchup speed but he does have decent quickness and now he is over his neck surgery he is taking on blocks again like a champ. He is what he is and is a fine LB.

Clark is the key. If he can step up and learn his keys and get a little bit of coverage instincts and he could be a real difference maker. He is undoubtedly strong, fast, quick, and willing.

After that it is depth because our base is a big nickel. Overshown was a need pick but we have him. Harper and Cox round out the roster. It's kind of thin but one of those three cannot be much worse than we got from LB2 last season.

Compare that with the Eagles who lost two starting LB to FA and replaced them with a big bowl of nothing.
nolan smith is a big bowl of nuthin...? :huh:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
nolan smith is a big bowl of nuthin...? :huh:
He is an edge player. They also lost a starting guard, both starting S, Hargraves, and Linval Joseph.

Nolan Smith is a nice pick as is the S from the third but they got ravaged in free agency and will not be the same team at all. Cohesion counts.

JayFord

Reaction score
No...

theyre solid...not elite level or anything but solid all across the board

JayFord

Reaction score
Why is it no one is talking about that? PHIL has taken some hits but no one seems to notice.
thats not apart of the agenda for their fans on this board

Howies playing 4d chess either theyll be elite or they'll draft one in the first round so its a win win

if Dallas does it then its stupidity

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Devin Harper - they liked him a lot a a late round pick, but an achilles tendon tear ended his year- and i'm concerned that he may not recover fully
from that kind of injury

Unless I’m mistaken, it wasn’t an Achilles tear that had him out, it was just an Achilles injury.

Last year when they put him on IR, they did it as “designated to return”. He was actually eligible to return sometimes right at the end of the season / playoffs.

So it wasn’t the much more serious tear that can alter a players future abilities.

This is just from memory though. I’ll have to look it up. I hope that I’m right because I like Harper and feel like he might could turn into a nice late round find.

quickccc

Reaction score
Don’t be surprised if we have another Barr type of signing prior to camp at the position. They do need to add another veteran to the group

If anything, i'd expect a vet LB at the end of camp, just as we did for Anthony Barr.at summer's end.

this summer, i reckon the Cowboys want to take a long, strong look at their young guys, and not lessen their learning reps .
.until situations becomes dire = ala under-performance all summer... or an unfortunate injury.

quickccc

Reaction score
It’s pure assumption. If they didn’t trust him he’s be cut. Last I heard there was a injury concern which is why he didn’t get snaps last year.
you know that what you're saying could be viewed just as much of an assumption too.

there was never a injury reported for Cox on the weekly injury report. And if he was valued even as a special teams contributor, he would have been game active.

Healthy scratch weekly ..

conner01

Reaction score
I like this unit...and wouldn't mind a free agent addition who does a lot of special teams play.
I like the potential
Clark to me looked better than some seen. Super athlete and was a beast in college
Overshown is a guy I really like a lot
But I could see a vet added just to add some experience and in case of injury