Cowboys looking to trade back into 1st round

Sydla

Reaction score
The only other options I can think of that would make some sense is if they think the DE from Okie State is going to go in the later first round or maybe if they go defense at 4, they would then maybe make a move for Treadwell or Doctson if either fall into the 20s.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Gonna be difficult. I expect Lynch to be gone by 19 at the VERY latest.

Sydla

Reaction score
Why would we be "aggressively" trying to trade back into round 1 when we have no idea who would be available yet?

Bullcrap...

Read the tweet.

It says the Cowboys are aggressively "looking" to have two first rounders. They simply could be laying the groundwork for deals in case certain guys fall.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
hmmmm would you rather us trade up and give away this year's picks or use 2017 picks?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
I'm totally okay with trading up if it's for Lynch. He and the two dudes at the top are the only blue chip prospects, and some think there isn't much difference between the three. Instead of giving up a king's ransom like Philly and LA did, if we can move up to say, 20, and get him, I'd be pumped.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I think you overestimate how much it would cost to move up from 34 to say 25.

It would cost something, at least one relatively high pick. That is one pick less for the defensive side of the ball. That is one pick too many for this team to give up IMO, especially knowing how many quality defensive linemen there are still likely to be at that point of the draft. Of course, this all comes with the caveat that I don't believe in Lynch. If the guy was a franchise QB in the making, then yes, easily worth it.

superonyx

Reaction score
Read the tweet.

It says the Cowboys are aggressively "looking" to have two first rounders. They simply could be laying the groundwork for deals in case certain guys fall.

It's the aggressively that kills it...
You may explore the options once a team is on the clock or a few picks before...but you don't aggressively look to move into the 1st round until you know what you are moving for.

Sydla

Reaction score
My only fear when you hear this is Jerry sometimes overpays to move up.

Sydla

Reaction score
It would cost something, at least one relatively high pick. That is one pick less for the defensive side of the ball. That is one pick too many for this team to give up IMO, especially knowing how many quality defensive linemen there are still likely to be at that point of the draft. Of course, this all comes with the caveat that I don't believe in Lynch. If the guy was a franchise QB in the making, then yes, easily worth it.

Not necessarily. There were some examples listed here where the cost wasn't as high as one would think.

But as I did admit, Jerry tends to overpay to move up and that's a concern.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's the aggressively that kills it...
You may explore the options once a team is on the clock or a few picks before...but you don't aggressively look to move into the 1st round until you know what you are moving for.

You absolutely can be aggressive in trying to set up deals now in case the draft breaks a certain way.

cds99

Reaction score
24 or so hours out and stories like this are going to come fast and furious with 99% likely not true. LOL.

My ideal scenario would be to see a guy like Lynch fall into the 20s and then we go and grab him.

Not necessarily not true, but most likely every want doesn't end up happening or escalating into something

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that would be the only reason I see them doing such a thing. It is something I actually been thinking they should do to try and get Lynch.

Yeah, I've mentioned it in a couple of threads, too. It makes some sense if he's there in the 20s. I kind of find it hard to believe he will be, but if he's there, I'd be for it. More than anything, I just want that backup QB position addressed for the future.

kevm3

Reaction score
considering how often we bust in the later rounds, I wouldn't be completely opposed to that.

Sydla

Reaction score
I see a lot of posters are hoping we draft Lynch. Any concerns about his low score on the Wonderlic test? Is this not a red flag?

Maybe but a bad Wonderlic doesn't mean he can't be a good QB. McNabb was a 14. Marino was a 16. McNair was a 15.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Lynch will be long gone. Broaddus said it could be Cook/Hackenberg. In which case I'll puke. If we leave the first 3 rounds with only a RB and QB...