Cowboys Making Late Run At Signing Dak Prescott To Extension

Sydla

Reaction score
There really isn't that many on the list that we just HAVE to extend, IMO

Depends on your definition of "have" in this context. But if you look at it logically.........

- One of Jones or Brown has to come back, for example. Unless you are going to argue Lewis, Awuzie and Olumba/Goodwin is more than fine (hint, it's not).

- Lee, Covington and Thomas are our LB depth. One or two have to be resigned.

- With the reality that Hill is going to need development, there's a good chance Collins or Crawford likely have to come back at the 3T unless we hit FA for a cheapo option or draft another DT.

- Woods as the 1T has to come back, especially if he plays solid in 2019.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I'm passing a jar around to collect tears from the haters. Care to donate?
No, thank you. Don't get me wrong, I like Dak. I just don't think he is worth Russell Wilson type money right now. Based on what he has done, I would pay him more than what Wentz got and less than Goff. Now if he takes the team to the NFCG or SB than he deserves more.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Depends on your definition of "have" in this context. But if you look at it logically.........

- One of Jones or Brown has to come back, for example. Unless you are going to argue Lewis, Awuzie and Olumba/Goodwin is more than fine (hint, it's not).

- With the reality that Hill is going to need development, there's a good chance Collins or Crawford likely have to come back at the 3T unless we hit FA for a cheapo option or draft another DT.

I agree that Anthony Brown or Byron, one of the two needs to come back. Cowboys may go with the cheaper of the two (likely Brown).

I also think with how free agents and talent are lining up, CB is going to be one of our biggest draft targets next off-season. Along with DT, and TE.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me if we re-sign both Maliek and B Jones (after Dak and Cooper, of course). It's not like we don't have the cap room. There are some benefits to not having chased big name FAs all these years.

Einstein

Reaction score
Amari Cooper - You have to assume he's re-signed. What a waste of a #1 pick if he is not.
Byron Jones - Likely a goner. Elliott's (and Dak's and Cooper's) contract basically sealed this guy's fate.
Maliek Collins - Depends on his season. If he explodes, he's likely gone. Will be too pricey.
Jason Witten - He should be gone. Just let it go, Jerry.
Robert Quinn - Depends on how he plays. If he has a big season, he's gone.
Randall Cobb - Probably depends on guys like Wilson and Smith. If both perform, Cobb is probably gone.
Sean Lee - Time to say good bye
Tavon Austin - He might be back depending on price
Joe Looney - Probably a casualty, McGovern will essentially fill his role
Antwaun Woods (restricted) - Back
Anthony Brown (good riddance) - He might be back if Jones is gone, which he likely will be.
Jeff Heath (finally!) - Praise Jesus, hopefully Wilson has taken his job.
Tyrone Crawford (cap casualty?) - See ya (although if Hill isn't ready and Collins is gone, he could be back as a 3T - ugh)
L.P. Ladoucier - Back, won't cost much.
Xavier Su'a-Filo - I think he will be back unless he finds his way into the starting lineup and plays really well.
Christian Covington - Back. Cheap.
Joe Thomas - Back, as I think Lee will be gone.
I think the Franchise Tag could come into play for Cooper if not signed, else Collins or Jones.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Why sign him? Let him go. After all, the best player on the Cowboys is back, he can do it all. Just put Rush back there and SUPERBOWL!!!! Bommdiggity..!!!!

12+88=7

Reaction score
I'm kind of glad. Next year's offseason is going to be tough enough without Dak's contract hanging over their head.

Amari Cooper
Byron Jones
Maliek Collins
Jason Witten
Robert Quinn
Randall Cobb
Sean Lee
Tavon Austin
Joe Looney
Antwaun Woods (restricted)
Anthony Brown (good riddance)
Jeff Heath (finally!)
Tyrone Crawford (cap casualty?)
L.P. Ladoucier
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Christian Covington
Joe Thomas

Not that difficult.

No on Witten, Quinn, Cobb, Lee, Austin, Heath, and Crawford.

Yes on Cooper, Jones, Collins, Looney, and Ladoucier.

Need to see Woods, Brown, Su'a-Filo, Covington, and Thomas.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Agree to disagree

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think the Franchise Tag could come into play for Cooper if not signed, else Collins or Jones.

It’s interesting. The list of FA’s next year looks daunting. But when you break it down. Quite a few of the names on those list are older and should just naturally be replaced by younger/cheaper talent anyway.

And some of the names on that list are guys who are going to be very cheap and reasonable to re-sign, or fairly easy to replace with another low level free agent.

The only names that concern me really besides Dak and Amari are: Byron, Anthony Brown and Maliek.

The cowboys really need to try and keep either Byron or Anthony Brown.

I’m going to remove Woods from the list simpler because he is a restricted free agent. Him being restricted is essentially the same as him not being a free agent IMO.

lopey

Reaction score
I understand but when my QB isn't top 10 and i'm having to pay top 5 prices I think i'd look to the draft and stay out of the FA market.

Dak is about to get overpaid.
I am on the fence with this right now. I wanted to see Dak play out this year with all the weapons he has and see what he does, but if he balls out this year the cost will just go higher. A dilemma for sure.

Sydla

Reaction score
Agree to disagree

So let's ask this........... if we let Lee, Covington and Thomas walk, how do you get to 6 LBs (actually we are carrying 7 LBs right now)?

If Jones and Brown are left to walk, where are 5 CBs coming from?

Frankly, you are proposing something that burned this team in the past.......... a few highly paid players and then crap depth because we had to skimp on positions.

John813

Reaction score

They could just repeat 2017, sign some bum corner and draft another one high.