Cowboys (McCarthy) 2 scoring offense, Chargers (Moore) 8 scoring offense

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Where are all the "Do we miss Kellen Moore yet" posts at?

Okay okay.. We have to subtract the 3 defensive TDs and the one ST TD from the Cowboys and if we do that the Chargers offense has actually scored more points. Which has led to their far superior won-loss record... Oh wait..

Like I said for his entire run in Dallas.. Moore has zero feel for complementary football.. so his offense will put up flowery numbers but it will not translate to as many wins as one might think. Herbert looks good in that offense which should surprise no one.. but it's not winning football.. The Chargers have a bottom third of the league defense.. but I wonder how much of that is a result of constantly being hung out to dry by the offense. It's a tough thing to quantify.. I'm just glad it's somebody else's problem now.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Complimentary football is stupid. I'd rather score more.

That said, McCarthy has gone so conservative in some of the blowouts that it's pretty impossible to realistically compare the two.

I don't know how you blame KM for something like the Miami loss lol

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

Okay okay.. We have to subtract the 3 defensive TDs and the one ST TD from the Cowboys and if we do that the Chargers offense has actually scored more points. Which has led to their far superior won-loss record... Oh wait..

Like I said for his entire run in Dallas.. Moore has zero feel for complementary football.. so his offense will put up flowery numbers but it will not translate to as many wins as one might think. Herbert looks good in that offense which should surprise no one.. but it's not winning football.. The Chargers have a bottom third of the league defense.. but I wonder how much of that is a result of constantly being hung out to dry by the offense. It's a tough thing to quantify.. I'm just glad it's somebody else's problem now.
The Cowboys have 4 defensive TDs, not 3, and 1 special teams TD.

They also have a safety from special teams.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Complimentary football is stupid. I'd rather score more.

That said, McCarthy has gone so conservative in some of the blowouts that it's pretty impossible to realistically compare the two.

I don't know how you blame KM for something like the Miami loss lol
Actually the fact that McCarthy has been smart enough to go conservative when they got up big is the best thing about him IMHO. He has lived up to his declaration that "I don't wanna lead the league in anything, I just wanna win ballgames." Meanwhile Moore is out there trying to show what a "genius" he is. He's concerned about statistical rankings, which frankly is not always what is best for the team. While you're out there slingin it around trying to light up the scoreboard you're putting your defense in harm's way far more than need be. As great as the numbers look for the Chargers they have an inferior 3rd down conversion rate to the Cowboys (41% to 48%) and not coincidentally have punted 7 more times than the Cowboys this season 28 to 21.

Reaction score

One thing that's always bothered me about this argument, the head coach tells the OC what he wants, he provides the context, the immediate goals. MM was standing right next to the OC all that time and if he wanted more conservative calls he should have asked for them.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing that's always bothered me about this argument, the head coach tells the OC what he wants, he provides the context, the immediate goals. MM was standing right next to the OC all that time and if he wanted more conservative calls he should have asked for them.
There was some comment about mm said its kms offense. I dont know to much about it....someone should chime in soon

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Yep…. They were chest bumping hard when the Cowboys had that struggle, but starting to look like we made the right choice. Never doubted Kellen Moore was wrong for the offense overall, it was can McCarthy do a good enough job fixing it? LOL. And to credit both guys, I think McCarthy took some of the things that did work in Kellen’s offense over the bye week and inserted them back.

But yeah, right now Kellen and that Chargers coaching staff is unfortunately looking at another job if they don’t fix things quickly. Kellen was hooked to a lame duck coach no matter what. Mac isn’t guaranteed a job either if the Boys ‘one and done’ in the Playoffs.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Complimentary football is stupid…my goodness.
It is. It's just a fancy way of saying "keep games close and reduce our margin for error." We watched JG do it for a decade.

That said, they don't really play complimentary football anyway. If they did, they wouldn't kick long field goals or constantly go for it.

Praxit

Reaction score
Actually the fact that McCarthy has been smart enough to go conservative when they got up big is the best thing about him IMHO. He has lived up to his declaration that "I don't wanna lead the league in anything, I just wanna win ballgames." Meanwhile Moore is out there trying to show what a "genius" he is. He's concerned about statistical rankings, which frankly is not always what is best for the team. While you're out there slingin it around trying to light up the scoreboard you're putting your defense in harm's way far more than need be. As great as the numbers look for the Chargers they have an inferior 3rd down conversion rate to the Cowboys (41% to 48%) and not coincidentally have punted 7 more times than the Cowboys this season 28 to 21.
..Ronnie, has spoken with this statement. I must concur.. ;).

RonnieT24

Reaction score
There was some comment about mm said its kms offense. I dont know to much about it....someone should chime in soon
That's a bit of an overstatement. MM said it was KM's offense and that he would learn and adapt to it so as not to cause any dropoff. I honestly believe the first season McCarthy didn't know the offense well enough to step in. I think he gained a better grasp in year two and last year I think he was finally at the point where he did step in and I think that's what led to the friction. I think Moore ignored MM's directives one time too many and Big Mike was done. I suspect that Green Bay game was the final straw. Moore's post-game comment about "going for the kill shot" had to have caused McCarthy major heartburn!