Cowboys (McCarthy) 2 scoring offense, Chargers (Moore) 8 scoring offense

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No they don't.

The Chiefs don't do anything complimentary, they score as many points as they can, all the time.
Huh? They are the definition of complimentary. All of their SB runs have come from being good at all phases of the game. Especially last season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I always felt Moore would do fine as a coordinator when he left here, because he did some things really well as a coordinator when he was here and had that to build on. But I wanted him gone because I wanted all traces of Garrett and his philosophy gone.

I think we try too hard to support the decision either way we feel about it, whether we should have kept him or cut him. What ultimately matters isn't whether our offense ends up outscoring the Chargers offense or putting up more yards, etc. All that matters is whether our team is able to win more with a different OC than we did with our previous one(s). We won't really know that until the playoffs. If the offense lays an egg there, then the change didn't really have the desired effect and maybe it points to a change is needed more in personnel than was needed at OC.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Where are all the "Do we miss Kellen Moore yet" posts at?

Okay okay.. We have to subtract the 3 defensive TDs and the one ST TD from the Cowboys and if we do that the Chargers offense has actually scored more points. Which has led to their far superior won-loss record... Oh wait..

Like I said for his entire run in Dallas.. Moore has zero feel for complementary football.. so his offense will put up flowery numbers but it will not translate to as many wins as one might think. Herbert looks good in that offense which should surprise no one.. but it's not winning football.. The Chargers have a bottom third of the league defense.. but I wonder how much of that is a result of constantly being hung out to dry by the offense. It's a tough thing to quantify.. I'm just glad it's somebody else's problem now.
they went into the witness protection program.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah but the objective is always 6. I’d rather have a 6 minute drive scoring 6 than a 10 second 80 yard drive. Not sure why the options are 3 points or 6 the option is always to score a TD.
the point is you can’t become overly conservative to the point where it lessens your ability to get a TD.

Like Jason Garrett used to do regularly.

plasticman

Reaction score
When I have the time I might revise the rankings after I take out all special teams and defensive scoring. It would be interesting to see the results. However, they would not be favorable to McCarthy as a playcaller.

One indicator of trouble might be the huge difference in the offensive rankings between scoring and yardage. The Cowboys are #2 in scoring, #15 in yardage.

This is typically an indication of very favorable field position due to defensive turnovers or elite special teams or both. The points ranking is more of an indication of where the entire team is whereas the yardage rankings are related almost exclusively to the offensive production.

The Chargers are currently ranked #7 in offensive yardage. They average 5.6 yards a play and the Cowboys average 5.2 yards a play.

However, the Cowboys turn the ball over far less, ranking 5th while the Chargers rank 12th.

Penalty-wise, the Cowboys have 9 more penalties but they are exactly even in penalty yards at 378.

One offense might be doing slightly better overall but it is not a commanding lead. Besides, it's not the productivity of the offense that matters, it's where that productivity takes them. Ultimately, the HC is the one held accountable.

plasticman

Reaction score
So, when you subtract all special teams and defensive scoring, the Cowboys are ranked 10th in offensive scoring only while the Chargers are ranked 6th.

The Cowboys are the beneficiary of a defense and special teams with combined scoring of 5 TD's and a safety, highest in the league. The second most has 2 TD's and 2 safeties.

I don't think it proves anything. Often, the issue isn't talent or ability, it has more to do with compatibility.

The ranking was based on average scoring per game since some teams have played 8 games, others 7 games.

Rk Team O-points
1 MIA 33.0
2 SFO 27.3
3 PHI 26.9
4 BUF 26.9
5 BAL 25.0
6 LAC 24.9
7 IND 24.8
8 DET 23.9
9 KAN 23.4
10 DAL 22.9
11 JAX 22.4
12 SEA 22.0
13 LAR 21.9
14 CLE 21.0
15 WAS 20.5
16 CHI 20.5
17 HOU 20.1
18 MIN 20.1
19 DEN 19.8
20 NOR 19.6
21 GNB 19.0
22 TEN 18.9
23 ARI 18.0
24 ATL 17.3
25 CIN 16.7
26 TAM 16.3
27 CAR 16.1
28 LVR 15.7
29 NYJ 15.4
30 NWE 14.5
31 PIT 13.9
32 NYG 11.0

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score

Okay okay.. We have to subtract the 3 defensive TDs and the one ST TD from the Cowboys and if we do that the Chargers offense has actually scored more points. Which has led to their far superior won-loss record... Oh wait..

Like I said for his entire run in Dallas.. Moore has zero feel for complementary football.. so his offense will put up flowery numbers but it will not translate to as many wins as one might think. Herbert looks good in that offense which should surprise no one.. but it's not winning football.. The Chargers have a bottom third of the league defense.. but I wonder how much of that is a result of constantly being hung out to dry by the offense. It's a tough thing to quantify.. I'm just glad it's somebody else's problem now.
All this says to me is that if and when the Chargers d improves, they will be a very good team.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Huh? They are the definition of complimentary. All of their SB runs have come from being good at all phases of the game. Especially last season.
No. Everything the Chiefs do is built around supporting the passing offense and playing with a lead. They aren't built to play a possession game, and don't want to.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You do realize Herbert is playing with a broken hand and rib....without his #1 WR?

And is still keeping the Chargers afloat.

If that was Prescott...he's on the IR....looking for his next tattoo.
Herbert should put the team on his shoulders.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You do realize Herbert is playing with a broken hand and rib....without his #1 WR?

And is still keeping the Chargers afloat.

If that was Prescott...he's on the IR....looking for his next tattoo.
Did you just call Mike Williams their #1 WR?

lol

RonnieT24

Reaction score
All this says to me is that if and when the Chargers d improves, they will be a very good team.
Not if Mr. "Yards are yards" continues to hang them out to dry over and over. Remember the Cowboys offense averaged even more PPG (in fact a lot more) than the Chargers are doing and had a pretty good defense the last two seasons and went nowhere because the offense couldn't solve the 49er puzzle. All phases need to be clicking .. the OC can't just be throwing out a bunch of "clever" plays without regard to what's going on with the other side of the ball.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Not if Mr. "Yards are yards" continues to hang them out to dry over and over. Remember the Cowboys offense averaged even more PPG (in fact a lot more) than the Chargers are doing and had a pretty good defense the last two seasons and went nowhere because the offense couldn't solve the 49er puzzle. All phases need to be clicking .. the OC can't just be throwing out a bunch of "clever" plays without regard to what's going on with the other side of the ball.
What exactly should Moore have done differently against Miami?

They ran the ball 40 times for 230 yards and were efficient in the pass game. They scored 34 points and had the ball for 32:41. What exactly is an offense supposed to do differently?

blueblood70

Reaction score
That's a bit of an overstatement. MM said it was KM's offense and that he would learn and adapt to it so as not to cause any dropoff. I honestly believe the first season McCarthy didn't know the offense well enough to step in. I think he gained a better grasp in year two and last year I think he was finally at the point where he did step in and I think that's what led to the friction. I think Moore ignored MM's directives one time too many and Big Mike was done. I suspect that Green Bay game was the final straw. Moore's post-game comment about "going for the kill shot" had to have caused McCarthy major heartburn!
100% my POV as well :hammer: I'm sure a lot of the adjustments he was asking for fell on deaf ears like he did it for a while what I don't understand is why Kellen Moore would do that when Cooper rush was the quarterback and then when Prescott comes back he goes back to his gunslinging ways which I don't think he's a bad OC I mean he just was due time to leave here so we can go in another direction had nothing to do with him being bad and I think that's needs to be said that way we don't need to have this do we miss Kellen Moore yet nonsense we knew he was gonna do well with that offense over there but I believe when you really look back on it so far this year the red zone issues were really a league wide thing and really more for drop passes and execution than it was play calling..

Only thing I see that needs improvement and it looks like the last two weeks is starting to get there we need to utilize our better players to match their skill set not have them match the offense and I think that was a problem we're trying to run a run first type 90 style offense we don't have those type of running backs on this team we don't have that physical offensive line on this team they need to go back to making sure Tony pollard's having more runs to the outside less to the inside making sure we have more motion in the offense feeds CD lamb these things need to be done and they need to be continue to be done stop being cute...

They literally I believe said this it might have been the New England game I can't remember Troy Aikman might have called the game he said on one play they tried to force the ball to gallop after CD lamb was constantly getting open had a guy playing 8 yards off him on I don't know third and six I'm I'm just trying to remember and it was a failed play and we had to punt and Troy said why are we trying to reinvent the wheel if something's working you just keep going with it that was Mike McCarthy's fail... I hope this isn't some anomaly and we're back to doing those same things we literally need to utilize our weapons and often don't be afraid to look like you're just favoring CD lamb when we had Dez Bryant on A roll when we had Terrell Owens on A roll when we had Michael Irvin on a roll those offensive coordinators were smart enough to keep feeding them same thing with a running back...

So yes if I had to say one negative thing I think it was overly conservative way too try to spread the ball around try to be smarter than the defense and go away from what was working because you think they're about to adjust to it no use your weapons properly and use them often that's what you do with superstars and he didn't do that at first...

Kevinicus

Reaction score

If Moore was better, he would just put a better defense on his team.

Man, people post some stupid illogical stuff on here.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No. Everything the Chiefs do is built around supporting the passing offense and playing with a lead. They aren't built to play a possession game, and don't want to.
Andy Reid is a classic WCO guy going back 35 years. The short passing game is a supplement to their running game. The Chiefs' leading receiver is a tight end who they have targeted 30 more times than the next guy. Even still they have more rushing yards this season than the Cowboys do. They have a better ypc average and have 6 more first downs on the ground than the Cowboys. More yards on fewer carries. Somebody is calling running plays over there. Apparently more of theirs work.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The Cowboys have 4 defensive TDs, not 3, and 1 special teams TD.

They also have a safety from special teams.
Even if you assume no other team has defensive TDs or a safety, we'd be ranked 12th by taking out those 37 points

Not great but above average