Cowboys might have had the worst draft in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proof

Reaction score
Shades of the deep rb draft when we walked away with not a one. Did land sweaty Chaz green though :thumbdown:

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I wanted a safety too. But, to say this was a bad draft is a big time reach. Especially due to the fact that it’s not even over yet. There was no safety after round 2 that would immediately step in and start over Woods, Iloka, or Heath. 3T DT was a bigger need (Go rewatch our last playoff game against the Rams). I can’t belive I’m actually telling some else this but dude, calm down.

Knotamus

Reaction score
For those losing their minds right now, perception can be a killer and a little perspective may help.(maybe not)

Draft pundits and scouts consider a great draft is finding 3 starters. With this in mind so far, Dallas seems to have found three if you consider our 1st Rd pick is Amari Cooper. The fact that Dallas is picking in the back of every round and didn’t make their first pick til 58th, I feel comfortable with the guys they’ve picked so far contributing to a team that already is very talented.

1- [Amari Cooper]
2- 3T Tristen Hill (will be a starting by next year and possibly this year over Collins, but definitely will rotate in an play a lot of snaps. Before this draft, folks were begging for DL..here ya go)
3- G Conner McGovern (solidifies a shaky OL from last year and most expect to be a starter by next year.)
4- RB Tony Pollard (definitely a pass catching back up RB that was severely needed)
5- CB Michael Jackson (Richard project that projects well. Richard has proven to be able to mold players like this. Time will tell for a 5th Rd pick)
6- DE Joe Jackson (Marinelli special.. who knows what he’ll turn into, but has a lot of traits and was very productive in college. What more do you want from a 6th Rd pick?)

My point, it’s definitely not the worst. Just not what couch GMs were wanting including myself. But I’m not going to act like I know more than the Pro Scouts that have proven in recent drafts they are pretty good at what they do. Give it time.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww.../4/12/15274148/most-nfl-draft-picks-are-busts

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/amp/

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Way too early but there is no hiding the disappointment of having the three best available players who were all safeties passed on when we took McGovern.
Correct.

That is exactly how I will track the success of this draft. It is basically on Hill.

Most drafts are one or two guys. He has to make it or we really blew it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
First off, this is not a deep draft.
It was at certain positions. But I have yet to see anyone reputable say it was a bad draft.

If you believe it is a weak draft overall just like we did in 2009, then you still lose. That just means you have to dig harder.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nowhere near Irving’s baggage.

Because you or any of us see safety as a glaring need, doesn’t mean the staff does. Does Heath stink? Yes. But that doesn’t mean they value it
Ya, I really dont understand the connection people make with Irving's baggage.

stiletto

Reaction score
I don't know about worst but it's very hard to say what the players from this draft will do. No big names that's for sure. The 2nd round pick scares me because of what I read about the his attitude and coach-ability issues. My mind is blown still that they didn't grab one of the top safeties. They had every chance. I feel if they get 1 quality starter out of this draft, they will be very lucky. I hope I am wrong.

iRepDatStar

Reaction score
If this draft was bad this thread is worse.. these guys have yet to take an nfl snap

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
In one of the deepest drafts in recent memory and a deep Safety draft, they pretty much blew it.
There was absolutely no scenario the cowboys could have drafted where you would have said they had a good draft. You were prepared to poop on this draft no matter what. your opinion on this subject matter is worthless

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
1. Traditional wisdom is that it takes 3 years to judge a draft. To say the Cowboys blew it after the first days of the draft is just spouting off.
2. First pick at 58, next not until 90, no team is going to nail the draft picking that low, even if you could judge a draft just after it was done.
3. This was a need draft, with the exception of Pollard, the first 4 picks were just that - defensive tackle, backup o-line on a running team with a gimpy Smith, uncertain Frederick availability, C. Williams not impressing, L. Collins likely to be salary cap casualty after this year.

It's just a draft, not like the team will be made or broken if they didn't get a top safety or the next Harvey Martin or Randy White.

Time will tell...

Common Sense

Reaction score
Hey, remember last year when we didn’t need any receiver help? Good times, am I right?

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
I loved what we did with what we had. Most teams picked at least twice before we got to pick.

And It makes it all seem much better when I see the posters who didn't like it.

CapnB

Reaction score
I cant think of a year where i HAVENT seen "cowboys had worst draft in the NFL" thread somewhere since the internet started. And its usually the same people. But.. to each their own.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Ironic that I have been searching for pundits ratings of the Cowboys draft, and with all the DC haters in the football universe, I found the most critical rating of the draft on a fan forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.