Cowboys might have had the worst draft in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
According to the people that make a living in it gives it a solid "A" grade.......A couple of the picks made me scratch my head at the time, once I looked deeper into I can see why the picks were made......I can't understand why they don't value the safety position more than they do unless there is a remaining FA they plan to bring in for the year..........Overall, I think it will end up being a pretty solid draft.

Hadenough

Reaction score
In one of the deepest drafts in recent memory and a deep Safety draft, they pretty much blew it.
I think CJ Anderson has given the Dallas defense PTSD! They got stronger in the trenches where they were absolutely man handled by the Rams.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
According to the people that make a living in it gives it a solid "A" grade.......A couple of the picks made me scratch my head at the time, once I looked deeper into I can see why the picks were made......I can't understand why they don't value the safety position more than they do unless there is a remaining FA they plan to bring in for the year..........Overall, I think it will end up being a pretty solid draft.

I think that they will address safety next year. They got Iloka to play this year, as a stop gap measure (and he might turn out pretty well under Richard, it's not like he was a slug before he got to the Cowboys), with the picks they had they weren't going to get one of the top safeties anyway, Iloka right now is probably better than any draftee they could have gotten.

And I don't think they feel Woods has maxed out yet, gives the kid a chance to develop, he's only entering his third year...

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Cowboys' draft grades were all over the map, according to what "expert" you check:

SB Nation - C+
NFL - A
SI.com - B
Sporting News - D

Grading a draft right away is an exercise in futility, I'm sure there were "experts" who were thrilled Jamacus Russel was drafted by the Raiders, right after the draft, and you see how he turned out. Or those who thought the Patriots wasted a 6th rounder on a basically backup college quarterback.

:laugh:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It can't be that terrible when you have Cooper and McGovern. One is already a quality starter and the other one will be.

At the very minimum you have that.

True.

The Hill pick will determine how good/bad the thing is.

The Cowboys have not been as successful drafting d-linemen recently as compared to say o-linemen, linebackers and corners.

No sense going over Hill's pluses & minuses (again), they just need him to be an above average DT who can contribute 30 snaps a game.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
True.

The Hill pick will determine how good/bad the thing is.

The Cowboys have not been as successful drafting d-linemen recently as compared to say o-linemen, linebackers and corners.

No sense going over Hill's pluses & minuses (again), they just need him to be an above average DT who can contribute 30 snaps a game.

Marinelli relies on a heavy rotation of defensive linemen, nice to have the Aaron Donald type guy if you can get him, but a plethora of pretty good d-linemen with fresh legs all game long can wear down an offensive line. So given they drafted 58th I think they did pretty good, if he can keep his head on straight. And I suspect since it's now his livelihood, with vets around him, he'll straighten out...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli relies on a heavy rotation of defensive linemen, nice to have the Aaron Donald type guy if you can get him, but a plethora of pretty good d-linemen with fresh legs all game long can wear down an offensive line. So given they drafted 58th I think they did pretty good, if he can keep his head on straight. And I suspect since it's now his livelihood, with vets around him, he'll straighten out...

I hope the kid ends up where everyone would like him to be... I of course will be rooting for him like all Cowboy fans.

No question though that it wasn't a pick that was met with universal approval.

Flamma

Reaction score
I liked our draft overall. But I have to admit I was hoping Dallas would have picked D.K. Metcalf when he fell that far. I think he would have made a bigger impact than Hill.

kskboys

Reaction score
And if Hill is the next Warren Sapp, it might be the best draft in the NFL.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
I wanted a safety, too. Their priority is pressure. I can’t be upset at that. The young men drafted are now Cowboys. I have no choice but to cheer them on and wish them success.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some fans should be hosting "First Take" or "Undisputed", with their negative takes about the team. Knee jerk much?

Londonboy

Reaction score
Crystal-ball--1024x788.jpg

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Now how would you know they blew it. Why don't you leave the future telling to father time there Lilly.

Angry first gut response.

If your talking about drafting a great safety prospect then they did blow it.

Now if the DT turns out to be a pro bowler, then by all means I was wrong.

But if you watched the draft and then read everything about what the FO office said after the draft you would come to a very obvious conclusions.

1. They were picking the DT no matter what if he was on the board in the 2nd round. They had targeted him before the draft. He was the guy they wanted.

This can be good and it can be bad. What they did was give up ANY chance of completely NAILING the draft. Because all strategy was out the window. They might have been able to get the DT in the 3rd round. Taking the safety in the 2nd and the DT in the 3rd would have been a home run.

But...…………….they actually saved their @$$ by going with BPA and taking McGovern in the 3rd.

By the time the 4trh round rolled around, their draft was pretty much shot. Didn't know what to do.

BUT..…………….AGAIN, they clearly targeted the Memphis RB as a guy they wanted to take with ONE of their 4th round picks. So when the first pick came around in the 4th they just grabbed him.

NOW...………….this is all just my opinion, but its pretty obvious to me.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Angry first gut response.

If your talking about drafting a great safety prospect then they did blow it.

Now if the DT turns out to be a pro bowler, then by all means I was wrong.

But if you watched the draft and then read everything about what the FO office said after the draft you would come to a very obvious conclusions.

1. They were picking the DT no matter what if he was on the board in the 2nd round. They had targeted him before the draft. He was the guy they wanted.

This can be good and it can be bad. What they did was give up ANY chance of completely NAILING the draft. Because all strategy was out the window. They might have been able to get the DT in the 3rd round. Taking the safety in the 2nd and the DT in the 3rd would have been a home run.

But...…………….they actually saved their @$$ by going with BPA and taking McGovern in the 3rd.

By the time the 4trh round rolled around, their draft was pretty much shot. Didn't know what to do.

BUT..…………….AGAIN, they clearly targeted the Memphis RB as a guy they wanted to take with ONE of their 4th round picks. So when the first pick came around in the 4th they just grabbed him.

NOW...………….this is all just my opinion, but its pretty obvious to me.
They blew it cause they didn't do what you wanted them to do. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Quit being a Nancy.... Lilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.