Cowboys must draft Merriman

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Rack said:
We aren't drafting a CB at #11. I guarantee it.

You guarantee it...

That's a pretty bold statement.

Do you have a source inside Valley Ranch? If so, can you tell us who we are going to draft.

Duane

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
You guarantee it...

Do you have a source inside Valley Ranch? If so, can you tell us who we are going to draft.
Bill has already said this offseason knowing the rules now he wouldn't draft a CB that high again.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
You guarantee it...

It's called common sense. If we get a CB, we'll be going after a veteran. We already have enough young CBs on the roster.

Bill has already said this offseason knowing the rules now he wouldn't draft a CB that high again.

That too.

zagnut

Reaction score

TDHND

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm a huge ND fan and wasn't sure who he was. What I'm getting at is I'd like to see us get Tuck.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I'd love it if we drafted Merriman. IMO, he's just the type of defender that Bill has been wanting. Big LB who can play rush end if he needs him to.

I betcha Parcells has his eye on him.

I wouldn't mind Tuck either, but Merriman fits better IMO.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Rack said:
It's called common sense. If we get a CB, we'll be going after a veteran. We already have enough young CBs on the roster.

That too.

but Stephen Jones had the following comments:

Originally Posted by mullet
Norm dominated the conversation, and sort of directed the topics. So, in some ways Stevens responses were a bit forced by Norm. Anyhow, here is a recap:

- Cowboys will be shopping for safety, DT, back-up RB.... positions that are better value, less expensive, but will still reduced needs in draft. therefore draft picks can be more focused in more expensive positions (DE, CB).

So Stephen thinks it's ok to get a CB in the first round. So I guess your common sense statement makes less sense now. Stephen Jones totally disagrees with what you appeal to be common sense.

I guess it begs the question, how common is your sense?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I don't know about all of that. But I would be completely shocked if we spend a first round pick on a cb. We won't go 3 years in a row in the secondary. We need impact players up front.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Well, I don't know about all of that. But I would be completely shocked if we spend a first round pick on a cb. We won't go 3 years in a row in the secondary. We need impact players up front.

one way or the other. I just want to win more Super Bowls. I just wanted to post what Stephen said publicly. I have no idea if he is playing poker or not. To be honest, if we get in a habit of taking the BPA, I want cry. No more reaching for Tony Dixon in the 2nd round.

If we don't take a CB in the draft and chose to take one in Free Agency, I'm happy.

I just want to win.

Merlin

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:

Norm dominated the conversation, and sort of directed the topics. So, in some ways Stevens responses were a bit forced by Norm. Anyhow, here is a recap:

- Cowboys will be shopping for safety, DT, back-up RB.... positions that are better value, less expensive, but will still reduced needs in draft. therefore draft picks can be more focused in more expensive positions (DE, CB).

So Stephen thinks it's ok to get a CB in the first round. So I guess your common sense statement makes less sense now. Stephen Jones totally disagrees with what you appeal to be common sense.

Let's see. We have draft picks in each round except the 3rd. So exactly what is your point? I doubt seriously that we take a CB in the first round as well.

Stephen does not say in that quote of yours that we will look for a CB in the first round. Get another source and get back with us if thats the best you have. I think you owe the kettle an apology for the common sense analogy.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Merlin said:
Let's see. We have draft picks in each round except the 3rd. So exactly what is your point? I doubt seriously that we take a CB in the first round as well.

Stephen does not say in that quote of yours that we will look for a CB in the first round. Get another source and get back with us if thats the best you have. I think you owe the kettle an apology for the common sense analogy.

He didn't say round one, but if you need a starter and you have two number 1 picks you would think we start there. He also mentioned more expensive positions; again I gathered he was referring about a high round pick, since a 2nd rounder is not commonly thought of as expensive because in general a 2nd rounder is not detrimental to the cap.

Apology for what? He started with the common sense thing. I found some irony that Stephen is on a public show saying that you take a CB in the draft. He is the cap expert for this team. It was not disrespectful toward anyone.

I also think common sense is a matter of vantage points. What's common sense to you doesn't have to be common sense to me.

I'm not here to fight. We have enough of that going on in the eagle fan thread.

I just want the Boyz to win games. I'm sure we all have that in common. I hope that makes sense. :)

As for as I’m concerned, you two are right. We are not going to take a CB in this draft. Sorry to have offended you.

Lets talk about another matter. Do you think we will keep Pete Hunter at CB or move him to FS?

Merlin

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
He didn't say round one, but if you need a starter and you have two number 1 picks you would think we start there. He also mentioned more expensive positions; again I gathered he was referring about a high round pick, since a 2nd rounder is not commonly thought of as expensive because in general a 2nd rounder is not detrimental to the cap.

We need starters at several positions. Pass rush is a priority over CB IMO. If you can draft well, you can find starters in any round or if you dont you could wind up with a bust. Drafting is an inexact science to say the least.

When he mentioned expensive, he is referring to free agency. Those positions are more expensive to fill in free agency. Look at how teams overpaid for corners last year. Draft choices usually get paid on where they are taken in the draft. Most teams try to use slotting by paying a draft choice a small percentage more than what that same position was paid last year.

I wasn't offended by the way. Just wanted to make a point. I was just joking about the apology thing too.
:shake:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Dough Boy said:

No need to get personal just cuz you disagree. Common sense says they won't spend another high pick on a CB, especially after BP already said it's not worth it to pay CBs big money cuz of the rules changes.

Who's higher in the chain of command, BP or Stephen Jones?

I'd say my sense is a bit more common then yours, Sister.

I found some irony that Stephen is on a public show saying that you take a CB in the draft.

When did I say we won't take a CB in the draft? I said we wouldn't take one at #11.

Now, I've been reading a lot around the baords where people think Carlos Rogers could possibly be our pick in the second round. Personally, I think Rogers is the best CB in the draft. I'd take him at #20 as long as there wasn't a very good DE available.

But I wouldn't draft any CBs with the #11 pick. Pete Hunter is good enough to start, it's our pass rush that needs the work. We can have two top 15 picks at CB and it won't make a f'in difference if we still can't get to the QB.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
I also have seen Merriman play at U MD and I am not so sure he will be a first rounder. Very much a character guy but has been injured. Real strong when healthy and a student of the game. However Henderson is only now rounding out as potentially a very good LB and I agree Merriman is a step behind Henderson.

I would trade off both #1s and anything else it takes to get a monster DE(or pass rushing LB in a 3/4) or a monster WR. Contrary to popular opnion here I would trade all our picks if we could fill those two slots (WR and a pass rusher) with 2 excellant players. Our best passing target cannot continue to be Jason Witten. Last year's draft had some excellant WRs and we didn't get a one.

IMO our next (third) priority is an R OT. After and I mean only after those two would I consider CBs, FSs, and some more WRs. The best news in this draft for us is 20 mill or more we can invest in some free agents. That also might be a problem as this might be another weak year for game breaker FAs.

Now do I think all those years in NY/NJ has Bill Parcells trying to play the odds and pick up more picks. Yup and it breaks my heart. I am tired of projects and maybes. I want some oustanding talent and it sure isn't a late first rounder I expect to find one at. So you guys fantasize we will find probowlers with late first and early second round picks. It does happen but I want to take my chances with a high first. I hope Bill might have a change of heart, count up how many years he has left and for once get me 2 playmakers from this draft. Besides Roy and Witten I haven't seen a great Dallas draft in years.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Rack said:
No need to get personal just cuz you disagree. Common sense says they won't spend another high pick on a CB, especially after BP already said it's not worth it to pay CBs big money cuz of the rules changes.

Who's higher in the chain of command, BP or Stephen Jones?

I'd say my sense is a bit more common then yours, Sister.

When did I say we won't take a CB in the draft? I said we wouldn't take one at #11.

Now, I've been reading a lot around the baords where people think Carlos Rogers could possibly be our pick in the second round. Personally, I think Rogers is the best CB in the draft. I'd take him at #20 as long as there wasn't a very good DE available.

But I wouldn't draft any CBs with the #11 pick. Pete Hunter is good enough to start, it's our pass rush that needs the work. We can have two top 15 picks at CB and it won't make a f'in difference if we still can't get to the QB.

Dude, no fights. Based on the NFL Draft Countdown, I would take Merriman at 11 and Rogers at 20. Life is to short to fight with someone on the same team. I suspect we both want the Boyz to win and neither of us know what is going to happen for sure b/c we are not on the inside.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
Dude, no fights. Based on the NFL Draft Countdown, I would take Merriman at 11 and Rogers at 20. Life is to short to fight with someone on the same team. I suspect we both want the Boyz to win and neither of us know what is going to happen for sure b/c we are not on the inside.

Hey, I wouldn't complain about that. LIke I said, I just wouldn't take a CB at #11. I'd take one at #20 though, especially Rogers. The guy is just as good as any other CB in the draft when it comes to coverage, and he's the most physical when it comes to defending the run.

But, if Merriman and Derrick Johnson were available at #20 I'd take DJ. If that happened and then Merriman dropped to #20 I'd take Merriman. This is a very deep draft for CBs so we'd still be able to get a good one in the second round.

Pac Man Jones
Marlin Jackson
Antrel Rolle
Carlos Rogers
? Miller (clemson CB, forgot his first name)
Brandon Browner

One of those guys will probably be available at our second round pick.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
a draft of derrick johnson and shawn merriman would be the most ideal- never happen though- both will be gone by 12.
Rack said:
Hey, I wouldn't complain about that. LIke I said, I just wouldn't take a CB at #11. I'd take one at #20 though, especially Rogers. The guy is just as good as any other CB in the draft when it comes to coverage, and he's the most physical when it comes to defending the run.

But, if Merriman and Derrick Johnson were available at #20 I'd take DJ. If that happened and then Merriman dropped to #20 I'd take Merriman. This is a very deep draft for CBs so we'd still be able to get a good one in the second round.

Pac Man Jones
Marlin Jackson
Antrel Rolle
Carlos Rogers
? Miller (clemson CB, forgot his first name)
Brandon Browner

One of those guys will probably be available at our second round pick.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
zagnut said:
Merriman? He's from U of Maryland.

Here's his bio:
http://umterps.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/merriman_shawne00.html

And a little background info:
http://www.inform.umd.edu/News/Diamondback/archives/2002/11/13/sports2.html

He's a bit bigger than 245 at this point -- maybe 255 to 260 -- and probably will measure in at closer to 6-3 at the combine. He was 1st team All-ACC in 2004.
liked reading that backround article. We need someone on the defense who can exude confidence and play with the passion it sounds like he has. Athletic ability wouldn't hurt either
:p

nathanlt

Reaction score
Joe a Cowboys fan said:
I also have seen Merriman play at U MD and I am not so sure he will be a first rounder. Very much a character guy but has been injured. Real strong when healthy and a student of the game. However Henderson is only now rounding out as potentially a very good LB and I agree Merriman is a step behind Henderson.

I would trade off both #1s and anything else it takes to get a monster DE(or pass rushing LB in a 3/4) or a monster WR. Contrary to popular opnion here I would trade all our picks if we could fill those two slots (WR and a pass rusher) with 2 excellant players. Our best passing target cannot continue to be Jason Witten. Last year's draft had some excellant WRs and we didn't get a one.

What I'm hearing from you is that trading up for "a monster DE" is worth it. Honestly, I mean no disrespect, but does the 2005 draft even have "a monster DE or WR" that's worth trading both picks for?? If it were a Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Julius Peppers, type of player, then yes! But from the reviews this year, it doesn't seem there's anyone that fits that mold. No DE is close to being ranked as that type of player.

That's how a team hurts itself, by fixating on a need and blindly trading up for it. You have to gauge the draft, and see what is available. If Dallas' only need was DE, then I'd say yes, but Dallas has several holes to fill, as do most teams.

As far as trading up for a WR, does Dallas really need one that badly? I, for one, am curious to see how far Mike Williams will fall. That's why I would think long and hard before trading up for him or Braylon Edwards. Both have the same potential, and MW will probably fall. I'd gamble on the one whose "draft stock" fell a little bit on Day one.