Cowboys must draft Merriman

nathanlt

Reaction score
ghettogandhi said:
a draft of derrick johnson and shawn merriman would be the most ideal- never happen though- both will be gone by 12.

How certain are you that BOTH LB's will be gone? LB's normally don't go that high!

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Obviously we'll look for the BPA at each draft slot. But I think Bill would love to add two talented players to our front 7 on defense w/two of our first three picks. Guys like D.Johnson, S.Merriman, The Codys, the DT from FSU, the 2 DL from U.Wisc and Tuck come to mind. This is Big Bill's chance to really put his stamp on this team, and adding 2 young impact players up front would do that.

The third of our 1st-2nd round picks depends on what we accomplish in FA. If we add a starting CB in FA, then the strongest possibilities with that pick IMO would be at WR/S/RB. If we don't add starting CB in FA, we definitely have to address that need in the 1st 2 rounds if we expect that player to start.

The 3rd-down/backup RB in Bill's offense is essentially another starter. There's a considerable drop-off in talent after JJ and Richie's getting old and possibly may have to retire. This is why I think it's a possibility that we could go RB early again. I doubt they spend a first rounder on a RB, but I certainly wouldn't rule out the 2nd round.

Unless a monster emerges like Shawn Andrews did last year, i just don't see Bill spending another high pick on an OL. We still have 2 relatively high picks from 2004 who haven't even seen the field yet. We'll probably use FA to strengthen the OL.

ghst187

Reaction score
I think that we're hurting so badly at CB that if a CB is the BPA at #11 or #20 then we take him. If somehow Rolle is there at 11 and MW, DJ, and Braylon are gone....he's the BPA.
CBs fly off the board pretty fast because they are soooo expensive to get via FA. Stephen Jones was speaking the business side of it by saying we may actually add another CB with one of our firsts because of the aforementioned fact. We can better utilize our cap money and get more quality players if we don't have to pay a FA CB 5 mil of our 20. We can give a OL 1-2 mil, FS 1-2 mil, LB 2 mil, backup RB 2 mil, DT 3 mil, and overpay for a DE (and maybe a WR like Porter or Burress?).

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I think that we're hurting so badly at CB that if a CB is the BPA at #11 or #20 then we take him. If somehow Rolle is there at 11 and MW, DJ, and Braylon are gone....he's the BPA.
CBs fly off the board pretty fast because they are soooo expensive to get via FA. Stephen Jones was speaking the business side of it by saying we may actually add another CB with one of our firsts because of the aforementioned fact. We can better utilize our cap money and get more quality players if we don't have to pay a FA CB 5 mil of our 20. We can give a OL 1-2 mil, FS 1-2 mil, LB 2 mil, backup RB 2 mil, DT 3 mil, and overpay for a DE (and maybe a WR like Porter or Burress?).
I think we will take the best CB available with the 2nd rd pic...there are some nice options that WILL fall here...

Pac-Man
Carlos Rogers
Justin Miller
Corey Webster
Marlin Jackson

Not all of these guys will be taken in round one...any of these guys could fill our RCB position...I specifically like Rogers and Pac-man, but Jackson could fall all the way down as well. One of these guys will be on the board.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
fairly certain- teams see the success that 3-4 teams have in the passing era- teams want big fast lb and space eaters on the dline- that is a recipe to stop the pass-
nathanlt said:
How certain are you that BOTH LB's will be gone? LB's normally don't go that high!