News: Cowboys Not Averse To Taking Some Risks During Offseason, Free Agency

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Not Averse To Taking Some Risks During Offseason, Free Agency
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...aking-some-risks-during-offseason-free-agency

IRVING, Texas – Coming off his franchise’s worst record in a quarter century, Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones let it be known he’s not afraid to take some risks in the interest of righting the ship.

Jones held his final weekly radio interview of the 2015 season on Tuesday morning, and he addressed a variety of concerns about the future. Noteworthy among those topics was the element of taking risks in the interest of getting the Cowboys back into the playoff picture.

“Let me tell you something, man: that 'going for it' fire is still there,” Jones said.

Having come within one touchdown of the NFC Championship Game last January, the Cowboys weren’t afraid to take some risks while trying to build on a 12-4 season. They signed a lightning rod player in the form of pass rusher Greg Hardy, and they drafted Randy Gregory No. 60 overall after off-field concerns pushed him down the draft board.

They allowed DeMarco Murray to leave in free agency, and they signed Dez Bryant to a $70 million contract in July. Some of their decisions worked out and some didn’t, but all of them came with an element of risk heading into the 2015 season...

Fredd

Reaction score
How risky would it be to go after Sean Payton and/or hire a legit GM that is a football guy without Jones at the end of his name?

I am all for taking the RKR (yes, I went there)...I think Hardy should come back (if affordable) and I think they should get a legit back-up to Romo (perhaps with that 4th pick if one of the big two are there)...but, it's also time to make the assumption that guys like Lee, Dez and Tony are not going to play a full season so have a plan for that

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Yes, desperate people are often compelled to take risks. Jerry's liver isn't getting any younger.

quote="CCBoy, post: 6513336, member: 1783"]Cowboys Not Averse To Taking Some Risks During Offseason, Free Agency
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...aking-some-risks-during-offseason-free-agency

IRVING, Texas – Coming off his franchise’s worst record in a quarter century, Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones let it be known he’s not afraid to take some risks in the interest of righting the ship.

Jones held his final weekly radio interview of the 2015 season on Tuesday morning, and he addressed a variety of concerns about the future. Noteworthy among those topics was the element of taking risks in the interest of getting the Cowboys back into the playoff picture.

“Let me tell you something, man: that 'going for it' fire is still there,” Jones said.

Having come within one touchdown of the NFC Championship Game last January, the Cowboys weren’t afraid to take some risks while trying to build on a 12-4 season. They signed a lightning rod player in the form of pass rusher Greg Hardy, and they drafted Randy Gregory No. 60 overall after off-field concerns pushed him down the draft board.

They allowed DeMarco Murray to leave in free agency, and they signed Dez Bryant to a $70 million contract in July. Some of their decisions worked out and some didn’t, but all of them came with an element of risk heading into the 2015 season...[/quote]

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I think this is all talk.

If risk taking is basically not doing much to fix the problems..

Then sure..more risk taking is ahead.

The RB situation is still a big problem and the fact DMac made his 1000 yds is only going to make Dallas think the glass is half full there.

And as long as Romo gets his shoulder fixed..that is going to extend his shelf life in Jerrah's mind so QB is not the issue.

The pass rush is still non-existent and unless they spend their top 2 draft picks on the position..that is going to get worst when Hardy leaves.

The CBs are not competitive nor are the LBers other than Lee.

So how do you address so many issues with this organization which is always 2-3 years behind the curve in seeing what to do?

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score

The RB situation is still a big problem and the fact DMac made his 1000 yds is only going to make Dallas think the glass is half full there.

And as long as Romo gets his shoulder fixed..that is going to extend his shelf life in Jerrah's mind so QB is not the issue.

The pass rush is still non-existent and unless they spend their top 2 draft picks on the position..that is going to get worst when Hardy leaves.

So how do you address so many issues with this organization which is always 2-3 years behind the curve in seeing what to do?

Okay that's the glass half empty - here's the glass half full.

They absolutely know that DMac is not the answer and you can be sure RB will be addressed, most likely through FA. You are also forgetting that Dunbar will likely be resigned and he was on his way to a great year. Add to that the O line will be better with Collins having another year behind him and Romo will take the 7 man fronts away. The running game should be good to great next season.

There is no reason to think Romo won't be fine next season. His back surgery will be two years in the past and his shoulder will be completely healed. Doctors have said that the bone will be completely healed and will probably be stronger due to some of their options. If it breaks again it will be simply bad luck. Will he make it through an entire season? 12 of the starting 32 QB's did not this year and 17 missed at least one game - yes there is that chance but everybody's in the same boat.

The pass rush improved this year to 30 sacks and that's under a coordinator who doesn't believe in blitzing. I expect Lawrence to be even better and Gregory to be better after his ankle is completely healed. Crawford played with one arm and will be better. I also think that more parts will be added. I agree Hardy leaving would be a hit but I believe that gap will be filled and it's not out of the question Hardy re-signs. Hitchens seems to play better when RoMac isn't on the field and Wilson deserves a chance to grow.

I agree that CB's are not competitive other than Scandrick who will instantly make us better on one side. I expect that to be addressed in the draft and FA. As much as I dislike his play the numbers show Carr is a middle of the road corner - not terrible - not great but with a terrible contact.

Safeties are horrific but will be better with Jones moving there full time and I'm expecting Eric Weddle or Eric Berry to the other safety. It will be much improved.

We will be 30 million under the cap - we have high draft picks along with compensatory picks including an extra 4th.
McClay has proven himself an effective talent evaluator - especially in early rounds. We stole three first round picks last year.

It's just too much hyperbole to say we're going to be worse and the sky is falling when ignoring the fact we have several options available to us to get better and we're getting our franchise quarterback and All Pro receiver back to full strength.

For as easy it is to criticize the front office they know exactly what we need and I expect them to address it. Jerry does a lot of bad things but the best thing he does is try like hell.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
How risky would it be to go after Sean Payton and/or hire a legit GM that is a football guy without Jones at the end of his name?

I am all for taking the RKR (yes, I went there)...I think Hardy should come back (if affordable) and I think they should get a legit back-up to Romo (perhaps with that 4th pick if one of the big two are there)...but, it's also time to make the assumption that guys like Lee, Dez and Tony are not going to play a full season so have a plan for that

Jerry's idea of risk is staying with a coach that struggles to crack .500 unless conditions are near perfect, and even then finds a way to mismanage the perfect storm.

plasticman

Reaction score
Cowboys Not Averse To Taking Some Risks During Offseason, Free Agency

They allowed DeMarco Murray to leave in free agency, and they signed Dez Bryant to a $70 million contract in July. Some of their decisions worked out and some didn’t, but all of them came with an element of risk heading into the 2015 season...

.....Jerry Jones.......

I mean, it's like promoting an arsonist to Fire Chief.

Jerry Jones taking risks? Naw.....not Mr. Conservative.

Terrrell Owens, Tank Jonson, Pac Man Adams, Greg Hardy, Alonzo Spellman, Antonio Bryant, Ryan Leaf.....nope....no risks there, everything just turned ouit peachy. But thanks for the heads up, Jerry.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I hope Manziel isn't the big risk he is referring too.

My first instinct, between Jerry and Stephen's comments, is that they're putting out feelers for Manziel.

The runningback situation needs to be addressed, but I don't think it's a big problem. Even if all they do is keep Turbin and draft a young guy in the middle rounds, I will be happy.

Nothing is wrong with Romo's shoulder. If you mean his collarbone, which isn't even remotely as bad as a shoulder injury, then clearly, that has been and is being addressed. They've also said repeatedly how important finding QB talent is.

The Cowboys pass rush wasn't anything close to non-existent. That's an ignorant statement. That's the only way I'll address that.

Claiborne was adequate and Carr wasn't an eye sore all season, not to mention they're getting Claiborne back who is hands down our best DB, but I would be shocked if they don't address that either by moving Jones to CB full-time and drafting a FS, or vice versa.

I have never wanted to put someone on ignore just by their sheer volume of negative bull****, but you're close.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Scary. There's nothing wrong with "going for it" if one goes for the right people. Unfortunately, Jerry has never been consistently adept at talent evaluation during his reign as GM.
If Jerry decides to "go for it" with either Manziel or RGIII, his prospects for success won't be a pretty thing to behold. He'd best learn to favor the odds if his luck is likely to change.