Twitter: Cowboys not signing Ron Leary

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He's probably still a bit upset over getting cut the first time. Maybe he wanted to make up for it by setting his asking price too high. If he were worth what he likely wanted, he'd have been hired by now.

Last edited:

Knotamus

Reaction score
He's likely still pissed over getting cut the first time.

Likely wanted to rob his old team & they didn't bite.

Was he cut? Or was he just a FA that left for the highest bidder?

I don’t blame him tho, he knew his knee wasn’t going to hold up much longer, he also knew he had one chance at a big contract before he’d be out of football. He was right.

This is the same guy who tried to hold out for more money in 2016.. then proceeded to lose his job to rookie La’el Collins. The same guy that never played a full season for Denver. Then Denver approached him about a contract restructuring, he balked, then was released. So if he’s upset with any team, I’d imagine it would be Denver.. not the team that actually gave him the chance to be successful in the first place.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/pr.../02/17/denver-broncos-contract-ron-leary/amp/

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Just speculation, but I wonder if the plan last week was to start Leary at LG and have Williams become the swing tackle, with both Smith and Collins out. But, due to Knight playing well at LT and Steele showing improvement, combined with the hope that Smith and Collins will be returning soon, that move is now considered to be no longer needed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
oh man short...that is devestating news to me....he is much better at LG than Williams..he is a mauler...Tyron Smith said Leary was the strongest O lineman on cowboys team when he played for us??

Maybe he's not quite what he used to be and the FO wanted to get a better deal. He'd likely been spoiled by another team's contract.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Was he cut? Or was he just a FA that left for the highest bidder?

I don’t blame him tho, he knew his knee wasn’t going to hold up much longer, he also knew he had one chance at a big contract before he’d be out of football. He was right.

This is the same guy who tried to hold out for more money in 2016.. then proceeded to lose his job to rookie La’el Collins. The same guy that never played a full season for Denver. Then Denver approached him about a contract restructuring, he balked, then was released. So if he’s upset with any team, I’d imagine it would be Denver.. not the team that actually gave him the chance to be successful in the first place. Doesn't seem like they'd want Leary if that weren't the case.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/pr.../02/17/denver-broncos-contract-ron-leary/amp/

I suspect his displeasure was partly from being cut before and it was likely because of his wanting more in the past. Same old stuff. Perhaps the new staff doesn't think McGovern is as good as the previous one did. Seems like Dallas maybe didn't beat what Denver offered Leary. Hard call, I guess.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You guys think this is about money? I didn't get to keep up with him much in Denver but I mean he's out on the street now and teams are having offensive line problems.....did the 'deal fall through' or did he just not look good enough to play?

Carson

Reaction score
I mean if they offered Veldheer a one year, 2.5 million deal, I imagine the money was similar.

I would imagine 2.5 million is better than 0. Guess not, eh Ron?

You guys think this is about money? I didn't get to keep up with him much in Denver but I mean he's out on the street now and teams are having offensive line problems.....did the 'deal fall through' or did he just not look good enough to play?

According to Leary, he’s in the best shape he’s been in in a while. Said he spent this offseason training as to rehabbing.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Winning a game can alter opinions. Cowboys probably hoping the OL needs time to mesh, but lack of interior talent will show up again.

It wasn't just an Aaron Donald thing.