Cowboys not the same team without Amari Cooper

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
a productive run game is keeps you in 2nd and 3rd and manageable. 1 to 2 yard runs are not going to cut it. Bad run games get stuffed quite often but when Dallas has been successful running it this year we are keeping ourselves in 2nd and 6, 3rd and 2 which are very manageable situations. Run game is about being effective in rushing the ball.

Some of these run game “problems” are outside of our OL’s control.

Outside of New Orleans Dallas hasn’t made a commitment to the run.

The only terrible game our OL has played is the Chiefs game with Tyron out.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Again...you lay the WHOLE ENTIRE blame on the o-line? I think that is pretty narrow minded.

Because it is and they know it. Narrow minded you put in all on Moore and Zeke because for you it is the most simple explanation since3 evidently you can't see how poor blocking has been. Oline is where it starts if they don't block we don't run, period. There are 0 run plays in a playbook that requires penetration into the back field.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Some of these run game “problems” are outside of our OL’s control.

Outside of New Orleans Dallas hasn’t made a commitment to the run.

The only terrible game our OL has played is the Chiefs game with Tyron out.

and that is your opinion. I watch the games and damn well know what I am seeing. McGovern can't pull worth a damn and Center is getting rocked back into the backfield, they are not getting a push and it has shown even more so in short yardage situations.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
and that is your opinion. I watch the games and damn well know what I am seeing. McGovern can't pull worth a damn and Center is getting rocked back into the backfield, they are not getting a push and it has shown even more so in short yardage situations.

McGovern isn’t a good 2nd level blocker I’ll give you that and Biadascz can get overwhelmed at times.

Which is even more of a reason to get upset with Kellen Moore using the most basic run schemes possible.

Kellen Moore is 90% of the problem but he claims Dak is audibling out of runs.

The rest of our problems have to do with Tyron being healthy.

All of these OL “problems” point back to Moore and Tyrons Heath.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
McGovern isn’t a good 2nd level blocker I’ll give you that and Biadascz can get overwhelmed at times.

Which is even more of a reason to get upset with Kellen Moore using the most basic run schemes possible.

Kellen Moore is 90% of the problem but he claims Dak is audibling out of runs.

The rest of our problems have to do with Tyron being healthy.

All of these OL “problems” point back to Moore and Tyrons Heath.

in your view, not mine. you will not get a consistent running game if you are getting beat up front, period. There are no play designs that call for guys getting beat at the line. It starts up front, when these guys have gone out and done the job the Cowboys running game has worked, when they fail to do their jobs and are getting beat, pushed back they have failed. That is the real problem. Claiming it is Moore, hell he is not getting pushed back, he is not whiffing on blocks.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
I truly believe he’s the game changer. Prescott absolutely trust him. The perfect route runner. We’re not the same team on offense without him. Prescott and Amari stay healthy , This team win the whole thing
So much truth to this. All you have to do is go to the his first game with Dallas. Before that, the offense was horrible…seemingly familiar.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
in your view, not mine. you will not get a consistent running game if you are getting beat up front, period. There are no play designs that call for guys getting beat at the line. It starts up front, when these guys have gone out and done the job the Cowboys running game has worked, when they fail to do their jobs and are getting beat, pushed back they have failed. That is the real problem. Claiming it is Moore, hell he is not getting pushed back, he is not whiffing on blocks.

Dallas is 6th in rushing YPG this year and would be 2 or 3 if they got back to committing to the run and not the post New England heavy pass offense they implement.

Run game is about commitment and if Dallas goes down a score they throw the run game out the window.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas is 6th in rushing YPG this year and would be 2 or 3 if they got back to committing to the run and not the post New England heavy pass offense they implement.

Run game is about commitment and if Dallas goes down a score they throw the run game out the window.

To be committed more to the run game you need to have success doing it. When Dallas was running the ball well we would see those 4 to 5 yard gains on 1st down putting us is 2nd and 6 or 5. When we are getting stuffed we are not going to sit there and bang our heads against a wall leaving us in long situations. I want to run but to do so Oline must do a better job, if not then you are just killing drives.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
To be committed more to the run game you need to have success doing it. When Dallas was running the ball well we would see those 4 to 5 yard gains on 1st down putting us is 2nd and 6 or 5. When we are getting stuffed we are not going to sit there and bang our heads against a wall leaving us in long situations. I want to run but to do so Oline must do a better job, if not then you are just killing drives.

Run game doesn’t work that way.

Yoi don’t just hand it off a time or 2 and if it doesn’t work forget about it.

Sometimes it’s like it was in New Orleans. You keep plugging until you bust one.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Sometimes it’s like it was in New Orleans. You keep plugging until you bust one.

Your welcome to your views. Acting as if by running it x amount a times means success, not if the run game is not producing. If you are consistently making positive yards then yes teams will stick with it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Your welcome to your views. Acting as if by running it x amount a times means success, not if the run game is not producing. If you are consistently making positive yards then yes teams will stick with it.

Sometimes there is no success. But there definitely is no success if you don’t try.

When Dallas tries they’re really good at it. 6th in YPG.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Amari showed how much he is missed when he is not in the line up. The dude is a great class guy, baller, a dog, commands attention from the defense and opens stuff up for others, he is more important to the team than just stats alone.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No saying your wrong, but if 1 wr dictates weather the offense is good or bad...there's something very wrong with the other players.

Are you old enough to remember how bad the 1990's Cowboys offense looked when one guy was missing.. when that one guy was Emmitt Smith? There is meaning to the phrase "key player."

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I truly believe he’s the game changer. Prescott absolutely trust him. The perfect route runner. We’re not the same team on offense without him. Prescott and Amari stay healthy , This team win the whole thing
its because he has the best ability to get off the line against the press. despite everything, our offense is a finesse passing offense, CD, Gallup and Wilson have trouble against press defenses. with Cooper, when he gets off the line, it creates opportunities for everybody else. he is key to the passing offense

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Cooper can beat press coverage and has elite route running skills.

This is the number one reason the offense misses Coop. He is currently the only receiver on the team who can both beat the press right at the line of scrimmage and can also adjust his route such that he limits the ability of the safety to help over the top. None of the other guys can do that yet. Maybe Lamb will eventually.. I don't it's in Gallup's skillset.. The QB needs at least one guy he can always know will be where he is supposed to be when he's supposed to be there when the line isn't blocking and he needs to unload the ball quickly. Coop is that guy for Dak.. When he's not there or he is gimped up Dak doesn't look nearly as sure of where he's going with the ball.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
But then there's the Denver game. Inexplicable.

Actually it was very explicable. Remember that was the week that Cooper didn't practice all week because of a bum wheel and Lamb turned an ankle in the first practice of the week so HE didn't practice all week. So they went into the Denver game with both Cooper and Lamb "barely able to run " (their words not mine) and with no practice. That was also Dak's first week back from the calf injury and McCarthy stated that they did not let him do any mechanics drills that week for fear of tweaking that thing.. So the three main characters in the passing game never practiced together all week before the Denver game.. and it showed..

kskboys

Reaction score
This is the number one reason the offense misses Coop. He is currently the only receiver on the team who can both beat the press right at the line of scrimmage and can also adjust his route such that he limits the ability of the safety to help over the top. None of the other guys can do that yet. Maybe Lamb will eventually.. I don't it's in Gallup's skillset.. The QB needs at least one guy he can always know will be where he is supposed to be when he's supposed to be there when the line isn't blocking and he needs to unload the ball quickly. Coop is that guy for Dak.. When he's not there or he is gimped up Dak doesn't look nearly as sure of where he's going with the ball.
While I'm not sure either has it in their skillset, I'm of the opposite ilk. I don't see it in Lamb's skillset, but I think Gallup might have it. I don't think we've tried to develop it, though.

kskboys

Reaction score
Are you old enough to remember how bad the 1990's Cowboys offense looked when one guy was missing.. when that one guy was Emmitt Smith? There is meaning to the phrase "key player."
Seachickens not the same since Marshawn left. Not even sure Wilson realizes how much he misses him.

kskboys

Reaction score
NE just won a game doing the exact opposite of what you are proposing.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

This is a rare instance where you and I agree 100%. I even posted on the game thread literally seconds before Pollard's big run that it looked like the Saints defense was starting to wear down and now would be a good time to try hitting one outside. Maybe 30 seconds after I hit enter.., BOOM!! Anybody advocating that you need to be getting 4-5 ypc or forget about running the ball doesn't understand winning football. MANY games are won running it for 2-3 ypc early because teams refuse to abandon it and are able to reap the rewards later in the game. Every defense in the league comes into the game trying to stop the run and make the opponent one dimensional. So early in games teams overcommit resources to try and get that done. As an OC you have to know that and keep reminding yourself that some of your early runs are going to yield meager results.. But you still have to do it.. because you need the defense to keep doing that in order to allow your passing game to keep getting favorable looks. If you just drop back and throw it every down they send 4 down linemen who ONLY have to go get your QB and cover your 5 receivers with 7 defenders. Guess who that matchup favors?