Cowboys not willing to trade WR Michael Gallup before deadline

Proof

Reaction score
Gallup averages almost 9 yards more a catch than Cooper............

lol because he’s only running go routes (most in the league) due to amari and lamb dominating the short and intermediate. Before Dak went down amari was avg 100 yds a game to Gallup’s like 50. 8 catches to like 3. Amari is a complete stud. (And I really really like Gallup)

Loso86

Reaction score
Coopers clearly the best receiver on the team. He can do everything the other two do plus remains the most consistent while facing the best corner.
He disappears against top CBs and is always hurt it seems

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don’t want Cooper, Gallup or Lamb to go anywhere..retool oline, heck even trade zeek if needed..but I’m good w those 3

Sorry, but the realistic picture is that in 2022:

Coop: $22m (save $16m if cut)
Lamb: $3.8m

If Gallup signs for say $12m (believe he'll get much more on the market) that's already cut in the $49m we have in Salary Cap (rough estimate on OVERTHECAP)....that leaves just $37m ....oh and that's without paying Dak (paying for any FA's, paying for Draft Picks).

It will come down to a choice of Coop or Gallup.

The same issue lies with Zeke, he can be released, however the Dead money it creates and the need to extend Pollard will mean any saying is negligible.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Green Bay is probably the most likely to trade for him since they have pretty average receivers.
it has to be a contending team, feeling, that he may help put their offense over the top and make a run at superbowl, so that's why I said low first round pick. I responded to another post on cooper trade, I think Ravens could be a good candidate too, since they are desparate (and have been for years) and just signed Dez. they can over take pittsburgh. titans. bills. like you said GB. chicago maybe.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coopers clearly the best receiver on the team. He can do everything the other two do plus remains the most consistent while facing the best corner.
Best ... probably.

Most consistent … I'm not sure that's accurate. He is up and down week to week.

Do everything the others can ... He can't go up and get the ball like Gallup. Not saying that makes Gallup better, just that it is something Gallup can do much better than Cooper

But the thing you may not be considering is the price tag. Cooper is a much bigger burden on the salary cap than the others, so if the Cowboys were to consider trading a receiver the question becomes whether Cooper is enough better than the others to justify keeping him while not having cap space to sign players to fill other needs.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You're right, cooper > Gallup at this point, but I think I'd rather have Gallup, lamb as my WRs w/ $12MM in cap space in 2021 + an extra draft pick.
right on. i don't want to trade either of them but if i were going to trade someone it would be Coop solely for the monetary relief it would give me in trying to fix my D. Our WR group would still be pretty strong and even if you decided it wasn't adequate you can get good WR's outside the top 2 rounds or pick up someone in FA that wouldn't cost a ton.

conner01

Reaction score
He is
And some of that is because he is most experienced

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
We’re keeping all our receivers through next season. Then I think we’ll cut Cooper and re-sign Gallup.

Jipper

Reaction score
If we got a first I’d do it....this team has its number one going forward in ceedee and number twos are not terribly hard to find....getting a mid 1st round pick would really help retooling

And I’m a big gallop fan, but we are going to need a total rebuild in the trenches and he’s only got 1 more year on the rookie deal so I don’t see how we keep him long term...

kumizi

Reaction score
of course they wont trade him

they're idiots

3 stud wrs. worst defense in history. doesnt take a genius to figure out you should trade a wr for defensive help.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Signing Zeke to that ridiculous amount comes back to bite em in the butt.

Course, the Dlaw and J. Smith contracts were terrible too.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The “logical choice“, if anybody, is Amari Cooper and his huge salary.

Yea, trading Gallup would be pretty dumb. I'd at least entertain trading Cooper

According to over the cap, Cooper is pretty tradeable as well...

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I don’t believe him. When you’re 2-5 and have the worst defense in the NFL, no one is untouchable.

For those who wouldn’t trade Gallup, I say what if a team puts a first round pick in front of you? Rumor is that the NYG tried to send a 2nd for Kenny Golloday. You wouldn’t take the Giants’ 2nd (#33 - #36) for Gallup? Get real.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Michael Gehlken @GehlkenNFL
Cowboys are not willing to trade WR Michael Gallup before
Tuesday's NFL deadline, source said. If they were to deal a
top receiver, he wouldn't be the logical choice.

Can't post tweet because of link to a restricted publication.

The Gallup situation is pretty simple. They talk to him about resigning and see how much money he wants. If its reasonable you resign him, then trade or move on from Cooper after next season when you can get out of his contract. If Gallup wants big time money, then you trade him now with a year left on his contract.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cut the deadwood and rebuild the team through the draft. Gallup is part of that rebuild through the draft. Hell no they don't want to trade him.

gongjr

Reaction score
Why would anyone think of trading away the one thing that might be a strength of this team? Every other position is meh and likely will still be after the draft, so let's stay strong somewhere imo.