News: Cowboys offensive struggles due to drop-off in OL play/OL Coach

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That total BS, this group has consistency said "we haven't proven anything yet" they even scolded l'collins for suggesting such. This the hardest working group on the team.
It was a combination of several negatives ; coach ,injuries, no Murray
But fat and happy is a ridiculous
Statement

That fat and happy comment has really torn into some of you. lol The group has consistently said they haven't proven anything because they don't want all the anointing oil that's been rubbed on them to cause complacency to set in. Not having Murray was clearly one of the reasons for some of the drop-off in the OL. It appeared it dropped off because we didn't have as talented a runner behind the group. If your lead runner doesn't look that good some of it will reflect on your OL. We rushed for over 400 fewer yards last season than in 2014 and up until the second week in Dec we were the worst team in the league on 3rd and one and the OL is going to take some of the heat for that. The OL has never been a real good pass protecting unit and that's going to have to improve.

It just seems like with the Cowboys when you start praising either the team or something about the team it doesn't do as well as it did the year before. Praise and success has never been something this team can handle at least not the past decade. Just a little success seems to go to everyones head, you see it with the team and the FANS. After the 2014 season the SB talk was back on and we saw what happened. The OL was still good last season we had 3 pro bowlers but success and praise causes expectations to rise. The expectations got so high for the OL heading into last season everyone thought the group could turn any runner into an 1800 yard back. The OL was given most of the credit for Murray's great season in 2014.

Go back and look at some of the crazy rushing predictions that some were making for Randle and McFadden all because of our OL. Some had Randle rushing for 1500+ and McFadden for more than 1700. Because we didn't run the ball nearly as well as some expected the OL took some of the heat. It convinced Jerry and the Cowboys the back matters regardless of your OL. This thread wouldn't exist if McFadden rushed for at least 1400 yards and 8+ TD's last season. We may not have drafted Zeke had that happened.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I hate stuff like that. It's 100% appeal to authority with zero substance. What was Pollock doing or not doing is what I would like to see reported.
That would be the actual story. What did the coach do differently, and how did that manifest itself in a way that didn't prevent three linemen from going to the Pro Bowl on a 4-12 team?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With the running game not being nearly as productive as the year before and Romo being injured twice last season and lost for the year that's going to reflect on the OL some.

Kaiser

Reaction score
File this article under "Success has a thousand fathers and defeat is an orphan".

Injuries didn't help the OL and Collins is immensely talented but made the typical mistakes rookies make. But the biggest factor by far was that the team had no running game and DC's could slant their scheme against the run 90% of the time.

And to top it off, for a big chunk of the season Weeden would go to his checkdown 9 times out of 10 and then Cassell was playing a limited playbook because he was learning the offense on the fly.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I have zero problem believing anything that makes sense, no matter who noticed it. This doesn't.

Rare time we disagree. I think they are speaking in professional nuances. I think it makes sense even if it is not clinically significant.

MSCowboyFan

Reaction score
Zach martin getting banged up in the preseason, then ronald leary getting hurt and replaced by a rookie in collins had more to do with it I bet than Callahan.

Then of course throw in the loss of Romo, Murray and for most of the year bryant.

Not a knock on Callahan but I think the injuries had more to do with the line being different if that is even true.

NAILED it...great post.

Wood

Reaction score
McFadden was #4 RB in entire league. If anything they should have started pouring footings for offensive line HOF statues.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Which basically means random football fans ranked them #1, likely because they were noted for being good in 2014.

Random fans who watched and evaluated each play individually to come up with an aggregate.

It is definitely an opinion but unlike what people might want not all opinions are created equal. At least there's is informed even if it has no apparent basis.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Not having as talented a back in the backfield didn't help the OL. A back can also make an OL look good. I also think the OL got fat and happy reading all the press clippings and hearing everyone tell them how great they were. When you start making comparisons between this OL and the Great Wall of Dallas that's going a little overboard.

Another negative take.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
WAKE UP OLINE = Advertising yourself as the best ever can't be smart, especially at the beginning of a loooong Season.

Meanwhile, Bill Callahan is an ALL-PRO specialty Coach, that happens to specialize in the Oline. The loss has been noticeable, to say the least.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Random fans who watched and evaluated each play individually to come up with an aggregate.

It is definitely an opinion but unlike what people might want not all opinions are created equal. At least there's is informed even if it has no apparent basis.

Give them an A for effort.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Give them an A for effort.

The point is, it wasn't just a group of fans that said, "They were good last year so, lets put them #1 again." like you insinuated.

They watched every snap and graded out how each offensive lineman performed and then compared the grades as individuals and as a unit. That is how they came up with the grade saying Dallas' OL was best in the league.

Now, that isn't to say their methods or their criteria is completely valid or that their conclusions are 100% correct... but at least they used something to grade it on instead of just flying by the seat of their pants and saying that they passed the eye-test.

rpntex

Reaction score
Zach martin getting banged up in the preseason, then ronald leary getting hurt and replaced by a rookie in collins had more to do with it I bet than Callahan.

Then of course throw in the loss of Romo, Murray and for most of the year bryant.

Not a knock on Callahan but I think the injuries had more to do with the line being different if that is even true.

I could not agree with you more…

People Tend to almost forget about the injury to Zack Martin, and how much it slowed the development of continuity along the line early in the season. Factor in Lael Collins' and the time it took for him to become fully acquainted with the NFL game, and the switch from Power blocking to a zone blocking scheme once Randle went bye-bye, and it's no wonder. All of those factors add up, and could easily lead to the appearance of the offensive line "backsliding".

Then when you take out Romo, Dez, and Murray, it's no wonder the offensive production declined severely. Regardless of what the OL did, it was going to be tough to get anywhere near the production of 2014.

Like you said, no disrespect to Callahan, but Frank Pollack has been the de facto OL coach since the 2013 season, according to Broaddus. While Callahan was handling his duties as OC in 2013, and his new duties as "OC – running game Coordinator" in 2014, it was Pollick who is leading film study, running the OL meetings, and coaching the OL on the field – both at practice and during games. Yes, it was Callahans system, but it was Pollock executing the teaching and coaching.

Look at the Commanders production last year under Callahan. They were 20th in the league in rushing – one spot lower than they were in 2014 without Callahan.

He's a good coach… One of the best in the NFL… But his leaving did not make that big of an impact in Dallas, nor did his arrival make much of an impact in Washington.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The point is, it wasn't just a group of fans that said, "They were good last year so, lets put them #1 again." like you insinuated.

They watched every snap and graded out how each offensive lineman performed and then compared the grades as individuals and as a unit. That is how they came up with the grade saying Dallas' OL was best in the league.

Now, that isn't to say their methods or their criteria is completely valid or that their conclusions are 100% correct... but at least they used something to grade it on instead of just flying by the seat of their pants and saying that they passed the eye-test.

Of course it is because they aren't paying for this grunt work, or at least not that I am aware of. People volunteer their time. Multiple different people.

They crowdsource their work. How else do you think they used to come up with grades for every single player in the entire NFL in less than week, each and every week?

Anyone here going to volunteer to watch a season's worth of Jags games? Didn't think so. Fans grading the teams they follow. If you don't think the prior year's reputation and fandom would influence their rankings then I'd say you're either overly confident in the ability of fans to remain objective, or just plain naive.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Of course it is because they aren't paying for this grunt work, or at least not that I am aware of. People volunteer their time. Multiple different people.

They crowdsource their work. How else do you think they used to come up with grades for every single player in the entire NFL in less than week, each and every week?

Anyone here going to volunteer to watch a season's worth of Jags games? Didn't think so. Fans grading the teams they follow. If you don't think the prior year's reputation and fandom would influence their rankings then I'd say you're either overly confident in the ability of fans to remain objective, or just plain naive.

I will watch a season's worth of Jag games. (Not really)

I understand your point and it is a valid concern when talking about their results. As a matter of fact, I tend to not put much weight on any of PFF's findings.

I only wanted to point out that they do more than you mentioned to come to their conclusions.

Still, it feels strange to be defending PFF... So I think I'm going to stop now and concede the point to you. You were closer to right than wrong IMO.

Carry on sir.