News: Cowboys offensive struggles due to drop-off in OL play/OL Coach

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Another negative take.

Every May/June you start complaining about negativity it's been an ongoing theme with you. A number of your threads have ended up in the Rant Forum because of all the complaining you do about the negativity here. You've called out haters and constantly complain. You avoid me like the plague every time the Cowboys season is over and you stop posting but once May/June arrive and your wounds have healed from the previous season you start getting excited about the upcoming season and begin your complaining again.

I have plenty of posts that anyone even you would find positive but you don't comment on those because that's not your MO. You posted that you were leaving the board a couple of months ago as if anyone is going to care because of all the negativity. If you don't like hearing honest opinions simply put those you deem negative on ignore or don't read their posts. Complaining all the time makes you look silly. Many come here to read honest opinions, not posts from FANS who just come around to pump sunshine all day.

dfense

Reaction score
I think since there was a new rookie LG and a new RB that didn't settle in to how this zone blocking scheme worked, it had an effect. To me McFadden is a one cut runner, but lacks that second move in the hole that Murray had. Not to mention Murray was a lot more patient setting up his blocks.

Wait til the "complete" back Zeke makes 'coaching" irrelevant.

plasticman

Reaction score
The truth is, every squad on the offense has a symbiotic relationship with each other. It's all about familiarity, cohesion, and execution.

In 2014, the O-linemen knew their RB and he knew them. Until 2015, DeMarco Murray was the main runner behind Tyron Smith, Andy Fredericks and Zac Martin. He was there in each of their rookie seasons and beyond. They were programmed into his speed, style and angles of approach through hundreds to thousands of practice repetitions.

Familiarity and cohesion involves things that are as simple as the width of a O-linemen's body. For example, the RB know to take a certain angle of approach based on what it takes to get around his guys.

The same was also true of Tony Romo and the passing game. They are keyed into his timing, his style and tendencies.

With both the passing game and the running game clicking in 2014, it created more uncertainty by opposing defenses as to what type of play it as going to be, further assisting the O-line in controlling the plays. The RB's success fed into the QB's success which simultaneously fed into the success of the O-line and then visa versa,

Now consider 2015. Different backs with different styles, a new guy they never played with before. Also recall that some O-linemen were banged up early and didn't get the repetitions they need in preseason to become more productive. Remember, these guys are still young and younger players need the repetitions more than the veterans.

Then, with that going on in the running game, Romo goes down and it's musical chairs behind the O-line. with no real veteran leadership on the offense besides Witten, who was also struggling as a result, the offense began to crumble early. However, as the season progressed, the line became more familiar with McFadden. The running game did begin to improve.

Pay very close attention to the health of the offensive linemen this preseason, it will be a critical element in determining the success of Elliot and the running game, indeed, the results of the entire season.

ilykdrama

Reaction score
This was honestly the most noticeable drop off to me last year. There were some great individual efforts (La'el running 20 yards downfield and Tyron being Tyron,) but overall I didn't think they gelled as much as they did in 2014, and I believe McFadden to be just a good of a back as Murray. Has more speed and wiggle anyway.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could not agree with you more…

People Tend to almost forget about the injury to Zack Martin, and how much it slowed the development of continuity along the line early in the season. Factor in Lael Collins' and the time it took for him to become fully acquainted with the NFL game, and the switch from Power blocking to a zone blocking scheme once Randle went bye-bye, and it's no wonder. All of those factors add up, and could easily lead to the appearance of the offensive line "backsliding".

Then when you take out Romo, Dez, and Murray, it's no wonder the offensive production declined severely. Regardless of what the OL did, it was going to be tough to get anywhere near the production of 2014.

Like you said, no disrespect to Callahan, but Frank Pollack has been the de facto OL coach since the 2013 season, according to Broaddus. While Callahan was handling his duties as OC in 2013, and his new duties as "OC – running game Coordinator" in 2014, it was Pollick who is leading film study, running the OL meetings, and coaching the OL on the field – both at practice and during games. Yes, it was Callahans system, but it was Pollock executing the teaching and coaching.

Look at the Commanders production last year under Callahan. They were 20th in the league in rushing – one spot lower than they were in 2014 without Callahan.

He's a good coach… One of the best in the NFL… But his leaving did not make that big of an impact in Dallas, nor did his arrival make much of an impact in Washington.

:clap:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Every May/June you start complaining about negativity it's been an ongoing theme with you. A number of your threads have ended up in the Rant Forum because of all the complaining you do about the negativity here. You've called out haters and constantly complain. You avoid me like the plague every time the Cowboys season is over and you stop posting but once May/June arrive and your wounds have healed from the previous season you start getting excited about the upcoming season and begin your complaining again.

I have plenty of posts that anyone even you would find positive but you don't comment on those because that's not your MO. You posted that you were leaving the board a couple of months ago as if anyone is going to care because of all the negativity. If you don't like hearing honest opinions simply put those you deem negative on ignore or don't read their posts. Complaining all the time makes you look silly. Many come here to read honest opinions, not posts from FANS who just come around to pump sunshine all day.

Another negative post, SMH.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas led the league in fewest pressures (that's per dropback), with quarterbacks who all took longer than average to get the ball out. McFadden was the 4th-leading rusher in the NFL. The time of the Cowboys' average possession ranked 3rd in the league. The offense didn't struggle to pass protect, and didn't struggle to run the ball or control the clock. It struggled to score touchdowns, especially from outside the red zone.

Dallas Touchdowns
from Inside/Outside Red Zone
2006 35/12
2007 33/17
2008 26/15
2009 26/14
2010 29/10
2011 25/13
2012 22/15
2013 35/10
2014 33/20
2015 20/4

That's not the OL, it's the QB.

You rarely provide any evidence for your takes but I usually agree with you anyway.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Callahan's zone blocking scheme was huge for DM29's success here. Bill was a big loss.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
More like the disdain zone. People that bring up negative things all the time are the whiners, old man.

Listen guy, anyone who has such disdain for someones opinions that they spend a good amount of their time online stalking, harassesing and looking for every opportunity to start a fight needs to have a talk with someone. Better pick another target dude!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo's better than Aikman.

Right, and Lee 2 years ago was a progress stopper according to you. Lol You still have yet to come up with the names of those whose progress he was stopping.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Listen guy, anyone who has such disdain for someones opinions that they spend a good amount of their time online stalking, harassesing and looking for every opportunity to start a fight needs to have a talk with someone. Better pick another target dude!

It's not your opinion that I disdain. It's your method.

You just called someone a whiner and now take umbrage for this? All in the method I guess.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's not your opinion that I disdain. It's your method.

You just called someone a whiner and now take umbrage for this? All in the method I guess.

I called someone a whiner who has a reputation for whining. The discussion was initiated by them and had nothing to do with you but you saw an opportunity to join in and start a personal attack. It's been the same MO with you for the past three weeks. Whatever is bugging you get over it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I called someone a whiner who has a reputation for whining. The discussion was initiated by them and had nothing to do with you but you saw an opportunity to join in and start a personal attack. It's been the same MO with you for the past three weeks. Whatever is bugging you get over it.

Hypocrite much?

You should send me more PMs telling me youre going to tell on me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Hypocrite much?

You should send me more PMs telling me youre going to tell on me.

Trying to settle it in private in a mature manner didn't work with you. This is what I get childish responses because you're looking for trouble. I told you then if you want to play hardball we'll play hardball...fire away!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Trying to settle it in private in a mature manner didn't work with you. This is what I get childish responses because you're looking for trouble. I told you then if you want to play hardball we'll play hardball...fire away!

Yeah calling people whiners is very mature.

LOL Hardball. Juvenile posturing FTW.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah calling people whiners is very mature.

LOL Hardball. Juvenile posturing FTW.

It's being honest and a hell of a lot more mature than discussing private PMs and stalking and harassing people online because they embarrassed you in an argument. Lol The dude is a whiner and you got a bone to pick...get over it!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It's being honest and a hell of a lot more mature than discussing private PMs and stalking and harassing people online because they embarrassed you in an argument. Lol The dude is a whiner and you got a bone to pick...get over it!

Claiming victory in an internet argument. Doubling down on calling someone a whiner. Youre just overwhelming me with maturity!